• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

What's with "please email for pictures"?

While we are talking photo's I am going to add my Pet Peeve
As a buyer you are certainly entitled to additional photo's if you want to see a certain area or a certain area clearer, but don't just ask for "More" photo's without defining what you want. I am perfectly happy to oblige if I know what you want, but 9 times out of 10 when I ask what it is they want to see I never hear back.
As I have said previously these photo's take me a decent amount of time to get up, and I don't expect anyone to cry over my personal problems doing so, but don't just waste my time. I am not going to load photo's all day for your browsing amusement.
Just to define my personal situation(and again not anyone but my own problem)-Dial up internet, No smart phone, no battery for my camera(so I have to run power line). I very rarely take photo's of anything but knives.

I agree with numerous other posters that if you want to use the internet to sell knives on BF, you should take the time to learn how to post good pics here. There are so many work-arounds as well as straight-line methods to post great photos on BF that it seems almost implausible that potential sellers can't get it done. There are also many members here who are willing--through PM, profile messages, email, or in threads--to help out would-be pic-posters, that there's really no reason not to be able to master what's really a simple task. It just takes a little perseverance and flexibility to get it done right initially.

I'm able to post from my Android phone, iPad, or computer and generally use one of a few methods involving imgur as a free hosting, sharing, and editing service. Works great whether texting pics to re-size, emailing from my iPad to computer or phone, snapping/uploading with my iPad and editing/posting on my computer (my preferred method), or even using the imgur desktop site on my phone using mobile data (the most cumbersome, but sometimes necessary).

Like others here, I'm a no-pics/no-interest shopper and stay away from poor descriptions or blurry photos threads. There are so many sellers here that do a good job that there's no reason to give one's business to those that don't. There are tools necessary to the execution of any particular task, and you need to use all of them to get the job right. Having a great knife for sale and not being able to advertise it properly is like being an accomplished roofer who doesn't own a ladder.

Last edited:
Here's another angle to consider for those that don't post pics. Most knife nuts here have way more knives than they need. If I miss on a knife sale it doesn't really impact anything for me. So I am sorry, but I'm not going to take the extra time to email back and forth just to see pics of something I don't really need. Of course this changes if it is something rare that I am hunting after but for me at least, that doesn't happen often. Take for example the modern folding individual section. The turn over on threads there is so high that if a thread doesn't have pictures I can skip right over it and not miss much. Just a thought.

I generally won't even click on image links. I also think it is just lazy to link back to a previous sales thread. Is it so hard to cut and paste the thing in a new thread?

Sometime soon I intend to sell several multi-tools new in box. Other than to confirm I actually have these items, would it not suffice to simply list them? Otherwise, I would have to take the m-ts out of their boxes to photograph them, and they would no longer be NIB. In the past, I have sold several knives and multi-tools to forumers, and all transactions went well. I've been a forum member since 2005.

Sometime soon I intend to sell several multi-tools new in box. Other than to confirm I actually have these items, would it not suffice to simply list them? Otherwise, I would have to take the m-ts out of their boxes to photograph them, and they would no longer be NIB. In the past, I have sold several knives and multi-tools to forumers, and all transactions went well. I've been a forum member since 2005.

Try it. IMHO - I don't think taking a knife out of the box for photos compromises its NIB status. I'd be more suspicious of buying a knife totally sight unseen. I'm not one to buy anything based on a listing especially from someone with ZERO feedback. I'm sure I'm not alone with this sentiment BUT there are always others...

Good luck.

Ray

I will say while I have never posted a for sale here on BF I have sold via many other systems and not included pictures at first. The reason is usually a combination of things at the core is usually a bit of laziness/procrastination. I almost never post anything from my phone and the pictures are either not yet taken or still on the phone only. I will also have a habit of posting my initial listing while I am at work and I will not load pictures to my work computer. I will add I tend to state that pictures available upon request and to be posted later. This is where procrastination really sets in as once I post I tend to take a few days to get around to uploading pictures despite using my home PC daily and syncing my phone daily.

If you are too lazy to post pictures how is anyone supposed to be confident you will ship on time.

I haven’t sold on this site but I have done a few trades. I always provide pictures highlighting any wear or scratches so that way it is full disclosure. Beats them getting the knife and sending it back because I didn’t mention the little snail trails that are only visible in certain light.

As for people selling knives BNIB or LNIB and then charging full retail price, why would I buy it? Even if it is LNIB I don’t have the return policy I would get if I bought it actually new.

NIB, mint, and other similar terms can be exact representations, dubious representations, or somewhere in between.

Presumably, you've already taken them out of the box at least once to make sure that they are in excellent condition and void of defects. If you have not, then while it is still NIB from the dealer, it could also have some sort of defect or flaw that you are unaware of and could make your claim of NIB or mint feel like a term used to hide it's actual condition.

If they are still in NIB, mint, perfect, excellent or whatever term you chose to decide to describe it, I don't think anyone would fault you for using those terms if you have taken it out once or twice for pictures and it actually arrives in the condition that you describe.

I personally prefer to see pictures along with an actual description of what is perfect, not so perfect or an actual flaw. Think of it this way, my threshold for NIB could be your LNIB or lightly used or my lightly used could overlap into your used but it good shape. NIB, LNIB, mint etc are descriptive yes, but way too subjective for us to always be 100% on the same page.

Last edited:
I use a photo resizer app and post with BF hosting and it works great. When I'm at work I can't see imgur photos.

Try it. IMHO - I don't think taking a knife out of the box for photos compromises its NIB status. I'd be more suspicious of buying a knife totally sight unseen. I'm not one to buy anything based on a listing especially from someone with ZERO feedback. I'm sure I'm not alone with this sentiment BUT there are always others...

Good luck.

Ray

Well, in view of the fact that I bought almost all these originally from dealers or private sellers on line who did not include photos, I had hoped to possibly sell them the same way. I did not consider the matter of real importance. Anyone of dubious intent could easily fake a photo, anyway. A physical description was good enough for me, and I was never disappointed. Nevertheless, these are all valid points concerning the sensibilities of forum subscribers, and I will take them into consideration.

However, I am embarrassed to admit that I posted my question to the wrong forum. I am subscribed to several, and intended this for the EDCF site because they seem to be more multi-tool oriented than those on this one. What alerted me was RayseM's post claiming I had zero feedback, and then it hit me I had made a mistake. That's true on bladeforums because I never bought or sold anything here, but I have several on EDCF as both buyer and seller. There are 8 from 2011 and one from 2012, all high praise.

Sorry for the snafu. :oops:

Last edited:
Being the guy that has been saying I'll email pics because I can't get them to upload here... I don't have access to a desktop to shuffle pics around. I've tried every suggestion that I've been given here and still to no avail can I post pictures. So... I will gladly email them.

Up until recently, no smartphone, no laptop, no desktop, just an old tablet. My opinion about not posting photos, you really don't care enough. It's not brain surgery.

Being the guy that has been saying I'll email pics because I can't get them to upload here... I don't have access to a desktop to shuffle pics around. I've tried every suggestion that I've been given here and still to no avail can I post pictures. So... I will gladly email them.

If you’re using a smart phone for your pics, take the pictures. Then go to your photo album and take screen shots of the photos you just took. Your screen shot photos will be downsized and able to directly upload using the “Upload a File” button.

I browse and participate on this forum everyday using my phone. Nothing else. I upload photos almost daily with no issues at all.

E="palonej, post: 17711899, member: 428819"]^^^ Exactly how I do it. It really is simple.
Joe[/QUOTE]
Didn't work. next suggestion.

E="Jsega51, post: 17711676, member: 402526"]If you’re using a smart phone for your pics, take the pictures. Then go to your photo album and take screen shots of the photos you just took. Your screen shot photos will be downsized and able to directly upload using the “Upload a File” button.

I browse and participate on this forum everyday using my phone. Nothing else. I upload photos almost daily with no issues at all.[/QUOTE]
Didnt work. Next suggestion. It keeps saying that it is not an image as expected.

[QUO'TE="palonej, post: 17711899, member: 428819"]^^^ Exactly how I do it. It really is simple.
Joe[/QUOTE]
Didn't work. Next suggestion.

If you’re using a smart phone for your pics, take the pictures. Then go to your photo album and take screen shots of the photos you just took. Your screen shot photos will be downsized and able to directly upload using the “Upload a File” button.
While I don't typically have an issue posting images from my phone; I tried this method and it didn't work (file too large error). I have reduced the image size taken by my phone to allow uploading... the only time I usually have an issue is if I crop the image.

Back