What's with these Youtube knife review videos?

I look at quite a few review videos. A couple are good. But what is it with these folks who show you the knife and wave it around so fast that the camera can't track and you can't see any details that they are talking about? It seems almost universal. Come on, shut up and show me the thing. Don't be dancing around like a mall ninja. Lay the damned knife on a table get on with it. Waste of bandwidth ...

Yes I’ve noticed that too, it’s more about them and their opinion than the knife. I don’t mind opinions but stating it as established fact is arrogant. I just don’t watch them anymore because of this.

I wanna see more batoning, hammering through cinderblocks and steel oil drums, prying open supply crates and health packs, maybe some mock sentry de-animation, and throwing of the knives.

I wanna see more batoning, hammering through cinderblocks and steel oil drums, prying open supply crates and health packs, maybe some mock sentry de-animation, and throwing of the knives.

Don't forget the industry standard "whack it with a piece of rebar" test. While it's clamped in a vice of course. We're not savages.

Then you would like my video where I neatly disassembled a CAT D9 bulldozer with my Cool Steel assault/survival knife and a 16 pound sledgehammer. But I forgot the link. Still sharp enough to cut a ripe banana ...

As mentioned above, these reviews are long-winded. OMG! After 10 minutes, you wish the guy had slit his throat accidentally in the first 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Pick better ones then. There are good knife reviews and bad knife reviews, just like with anything else.

I find them useful for determining things that aren't conveyed well through generic store page listings of a given knife, like edge thinness, edge retention, general points about comfort in hand, construction quality, etc.

Watching someone else talk about their opinion on a knife seems like a waste of time. I’d rather just buy it and form my own opinion.
Exactly, I used to spend hours a week watching knife reviews. Not anymore, if I see something I'm interested in I buy it and figure out on my own if it's any good. I've got knives that I love, that's been absolutely perfect. Just because a guy with tiny hands in a Batman mask doesn't like it, sure doesn't bother me! We all use knives for different things, what works for me might not work for you..

Half the time I can't get past the accent, whether it's Brooklyn or Birmingham.

Then you would like my video where I neatly disassembled a CAT D9 bulldozer with my Cool Steel assault/survival knife and a 16 pound sledgehammer. But I forgot the link. Still sharp enough to cut a ripe banana ...

As mentioned above, these reviews are long-winded. OMG! After 10 minutes, you wish the guy had slit his throat accidentally in the first 30 seconds.
Don't go using that Cold Steel XHP Tanto on bananas. It's far too powerful.

Don't watch those guys then. Plenty of others to choose from.
Amen, brother! Lots of good information on YouTube and lots of bad information on YouTube.

A few things I never understand about people and their complaints about YouTube. First, why would you think anyone on YouTube what have a valid opinion that would presented in a format acceptable to your standards? Second, what are their credentials? Third, do they present themselves as well qualified professionals in the field of which they are rendering their opinion?

And probably the most important... Remember exactly how much you paid for that fine information! If a video bothers you or has no value, just move on.

Robert

I like video reviews because I can see a lot of the knife and hopefully get some feedback on ergonomics and use. I care about "stats" if the published ones are wrong or if its a previously unlisted dimension. I like when reviewers dig more deeply into issues at large, such as Banter 247. I've also been impressed by the testing initiative we've seen recently, involving coordinated input from people doing cut tests, HRC tests, etc. That's obviously not what the OP is talking about though.

There is a degree to which subscribing to a review channel involves having a regular "friend" who shows you product. You get to know them a little through their analyses, stories, anecdotes, etc. You get to know how they view things and what you can take from their opinions as a reviewer.

A lot of them are super good and have saved me a ton of money, I think they have to go beyond a certain time limit to get a chance at some $$ ,so you can't fault them for that.keep up the good work guys

Nice parlor trick, but everyone knows a Cat D9 is only HRc 34. Batoning one apart could be done by any knife with a good heat treatment. Smoke and mirrors.

Back