What's with these Youtube knife review videos?

The long rambling can be irritating but sometimes I think it's fun just to see someone talking about knives. And the simplest thing like just seeing a knife in someone's hand in HD video is invaluable. Often it's more important than any written review when I'm deciding on a purchase.

Yet you still watch....

Yes, because I can't quite believe it. I want to see how bad it is for a minute or so. And I'm mostly talking about people who wave the knife around so fast that you can't tell if it's a little Spiderco folder or a Cold Steel Trailmaster. When I get spastic, I'll put my beer on the table and suck it up through a straw if need be.

Now, I do appreciate amateur Youtube videos. A great one is "Learn Arc Welding With Willy Miller". Informative, practical and only 4 minutes long.

Last edited:
I almost never watch videos about knives I'm GOING to buy. I usually just watch them to try and validate my own opinion of what I spent money on. When I get to one critical of said knife, I generally tightly fold my arms and grumble, "nope...wrong...you're an idiot...noob" etc.

I'm the ugliest of internet user sometimes.

I for one am kind of sick of all these knife videos,i just don't have the patience to watch them anymore...

One of the reasons I enjoy knife videos is because I only know one
person in the real world that is a aficionado like me. We have different
taste in blades but it is so fun to meet up with him to discuss the latest stuff
and what is working best for us.
Seeing other peoples takes is fun. Disassembly videos are excellent too.
And Nick Shabazz calling certain knives "murdery" is priceless.

I like cutlerylover when he talks knives. When he shows insects having sex....well.....not so much.

The greatest Youtube show ever made is MRE Reviews by Steve1989MREInfo.

He opens and eats and reviews MREs from all times and places around the world, even eating WW2 rations and smokes the cigarettes in them.

All knife reviewers should strive to make their Youtube show as good as MRE Review.

I’m nitpicky the higher I go in price. I watch the reviews and appreciate them - metal c, shabazz, slicey- but we have different taste.

Nick...you should review the 0462...it is giant and murdery....

Seconded. Much more satisfying to slice cheese and summer sausage at lunch in the office with this ZT than, say, with my little Persian. Which itself is actually kinda small & murdery.

Keep up the good work; really enjoy your channel, Nick. Although, you just gave me the idea that I need that new Casio Oceanus T200...

For the people u dont like or care for dont waste yr time watching them leave them for people who know how to take them with a grain of salt but there r a lot of good knife reviews that know about more than a coil and dont wave the kife around unless there turning it to show u the whole look of the knife everyone is allowed to have there own opinion I just hope u dont give up on all knife youtubers just for a few unless u seen everyone.i hope u guys find wat yr looking for in the future but in the mean time keep enjoying yr knives or wat ever makes u happy

Setting aside the matter of “good/bad” being subjective, there’s still the matter of multiple possibilities for low view counts. Subject matter interest in the community, new channel, inactive promoting on other platforms/low broad presence, etc can all contribute.

It’s occasionally tragic. For all we know, the most interesting or valuable content might be up on an under the radar channel.

There are many people getting thousands more views than Roman, for example, and this guy is influential beyond what most people realize in the steel world.

Point well taken. I should also add that you need to check the date the video was produced. A 5 year old video with 10 views is likely not very good (i.e, worth watching), while a week old video with 10 views is probably just gaining traction.

Point well taken. I should also add that you need to check the date the video was produced. A 5 year old video with 10 views is likely not very good (i.e, worth watching), while a week old video with 10 views is probably just gaining traction.

Very good point!

The greatest Youtube show ever made is MRE Reviews by Steve1989MREInfo.

He opens and eats and reviews MREs from all times and places around the world, even eating WW2 rations and smokes the cigarettes in them.

All knife reviewers should strive to make their Youtube show as good as MRE Review.

Man I watched hours and hours of those myself, amazing stuff! My favorite was when he ate the civil war hard tack. His narration and description of the smells is absolutely mesmerizing.
I like knife review videos, I generally won't look up knives unless I'm thinking about buying them (already bought them) but there are a lot of knives that I had no idea about which are pretty awesome which videos led me to. I've found that the most intensive knife review video watching time period is the time between purchasing and receiving a knife. I usually click on a Nick Shabazz video first because he tends to have more information packed in them. It took me about 7 years to be able to listen to Nick Shabazz. Advanced Knife bro is probably producing the best vids but I dunno, he has too many videos or something, something triggered me about it, I haven't watched them lately. I think there is plenty of room for competent review videographers, most of this stuff is getting ordered online and people can't physically handle the items so they watch videos instead. I'm actually surprised there isn't more of this video making going on.

Back