What's your 2019 Grail knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have slowed down a lot, and I don't use the term "grail", since there is no end and one always ends up chasing the next. I have a collection I love and really the only thing I want badly that I do not have is a Waveless CQC-6. Not saying there are not other things I want, but that is top of the list.

Grabbed this a few weeks back. My only locking folder ATM. All I need to pair with my Seal pup and multi tool.

IMG_20190130_165436~2.jpg

Yep, Protech Dark Angel double action out the front. If you notice the Dark Angel single action has not been on the market for some time(General knife discussion). Got my fingers crossed and another spot in my my Spyderco case full of obsessions. Isn't it great.

Not a new model but I'm jonesing for a Tom Krein Pocket Bowie in butterscotch or other light-colored micarta. I'm not dialed in to social media 24/7 so I always miss sales and lotteries on his Facebook group where most of the action seems to be. Just as well as the hunt is half the fun.

Same thing it is every year until I get one. Walter Brend Model 2.

This grail term really grinds my gears. A "grail" has come to be known as "whatever knife I feel like buying next. Bro."

For anything to be referred to as such, it should at least be rare, hard to obtain for whatever reason, and in ideal cases, singular. Ya know, like "THE holy Grail".

You guys can choose "grails" all you want to, but the trend I'm seeing is that you're just choosing readily available production knives you saw on Instagram or "YouTwitFace". (You figure it out)

Same thing it is every year until I get one. Walter Brend Model 2.

This grail term really grinds my gears. A "grail" has come to be known as "whatever knife I feel like buying next. Bro."

For anything to be referred to as such, it should at least be rare, hard to obtain for whatever reason, and in ideal cases, singular. Ya know, like "THE holy Grail".

You guys can choose "grails" all you want to, but the trend I'm seeing is that you're just choosing readily available production knives you saw on Instagram or "YouTwitFace". (You figure it out)
Agreed. Just wanting a knife should not make it a "Grail". Didn't anyone else grow up watching "Excalibur" over and over? The word should have more depth of meaning that it generally does.

Here is what I said one of the last times this topic came up:
"So the term comes from the medieval "Holy Grail" stories/myths/etc. So, in keeping with that theme, to me a "grail" should be hard to find (either in general or before someone else does), sought after by others as well, and should require more than just money to obtain as it will likely require time spent searching. If all it took was money to get it, it would just be expensive. And to me, it's not just a list of attributes I like best in knives all rolled into one knife. It's a knife I want for some intangible reasons as well. And as said, most of us will find another to search for if we are successful on the first. I really don't use the word, and I wouldn't apply it to a knife I just had to save up for, or that had all the bells and whistles."

Grail. Knife forum. Not a grammar forum or forum for definitions. Place to talk about Grail knifes such Spyderco etc. Lighten up and enjoy.

Grail. Knife forum. Not a grammar forum or forum for definitions. Place to talk about Grail knifes such Spyderco etc. Lighten up and enjoy.

Yes, "Grail". Yes, the term has been watered down until it no longer has meaning, brah. Yes, this is a knife forum, not a grammar forum. For that fact, you are in luck.

image.jpg

Same as last year, a Holt Specter but so pissed they only do that stupid lotto that I am just about ready to say f*** it and move on.

So, realistically, a Spyderco Paysan.

G&G Hawk Deadlock OTF is one that's been on my mind ever since I first heard of it.
Probably the closest thing to a "grail" for me.

As far as current planned buys, a Arius, a large sebenza 21 in micarta, and a XM-18 3.5 wharncliffe.

Just broke and got a WE Arrakis. So thats likely my grail. Mission accomplished.
At least as far as knives released this year go. Otherwise its currently a paragon phoenix.

Not a “grail” knife per se, but I might not be able to stop myself from buying a Spyderco Drunken. I feel like I'm only interested in the knife because I don’t already own the ZT 0456(or any ZT for that matter.)

AA3856BD-BB7F-442B-ABD5-6CC2843CCE17.jpeg As was alluded to, for me, a grail is a knife that’s possible to acquire, but only with considerable effort, time and sacrifice. Something.....like this.

My grail is same as always...a Todd Rexford custom Injection.
Damascus bolsters, Cf scales. Actually, at this point, any Rexford Injection. I wish Kershaws was made by ZT or We.

The new hoback slip joint. I wish it was a "cooler" steel than AEB-L. But I'm sure the HT is excellent!!
But it's nice and thin.. should be a nice slicer!!! Might preorder one or save some pennies up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back