What's your best recommendation for concealed carry pistol?

I didn't say I had a problem with it but I have seen it happen as well as certain loads and ejectors and extractors and springs ect. ect. cause semi autos to jam up. I've had some pretty high dollar 1911's choke also and is why I don't trust them. I guess it depends on if Murphy is riding with you when the balloon goes up in the end. Do you have stats on how many of those 26 million semi autos have malfunctioned at one time or another. I would wager quite a few. :D

I have no stats on that, but I don't have any stats on how many revolvers have malfunctioned either.
I assume that would best be obtained by test results obtained from mfgrs. But what mfgr. is going to tell you how often their guns malfunction?
Instead, we have to rely on personal experience, the reporting of which is anecdotal and gets heavily weighted by a person's preference (i.e. the person who buys a lemon car, then determines that all examples of that model must be lemons). We can also rely on what is chosen to be carried by our military and law enforcement. We have to hope that the choice had some basis in reality (lord knows they don't always do that).

The number of revolvers versus the number of pistols in the US is almost split equally.
If a pistol were that inferior to a revolver, one would think that after 130 years, people might have caught on to the problem and either fixed it, or made the pistol "go away".

But yes, Murphy can be a bastard, and a malfunction of either type at any time can be disastrous.

Last edited:
As long as you practice and shoot carry ammo through your semi reliably and keep it clean and lubed the chance of having a malfunction that one time when you need it is ridiculously low and practically non existent if the firearm is of quality. Some keltec? Chances are higher of course.... but if you have a decent semi auto and you know it fires your carry ammo 100% reliably and you know you don't limp wrist it then there is nothing to worry about. If I bought a carry gun and couldn't get through a few hundred rounds without a malfunction then I wouldn't carry it.

Of course though there is still always a chance. Revolvers are no exception. Just look at taurus wheel guns, those things break a lot. But generally, yes a good wheel gun has inherently more reliability based on general operation. Although with the quality semi autos out now I dont feel like it warrants giving up capacity. For a small pocket/back up gun though it is a different story. With similar capacities the wheel gun has a big advantage especially since small semi autos have a tendency to malfunction more. I do plan on getting a nice SW snub sometime soon.

Well, I did it boys, went with the Shield 9, couldn't resist the sale at my local shop! Really like the look and feel of this gun and can't wait to get it out this weekend and start loosening it up! One thing about this M&P, it is tight, I'm sure all that will break in over time, shooting and cleaning.

I'm sure everyone is different, but what is your gun cleaner of choice and why, is aerosol the way to go? I know don't over lube it!

Thanks for the comments guys!

The Apex tactical trigger kit is well worth the expense if you can't get over the heavy trigger pull.

The Apex tactical trigger kit is well worth the expense if you can't get over the heavy trigger pull.
I'm going to put a 1000 rounds through it before I make that decision, I've seen pros and cons on the apex trigger, but it's a nice option to have!

As long as you practice and shoot carry ammo through your semi reliably and keep it clean and lubed the chance of having a malfunction that one time when you need it is ridiculously low and practically non existent if the firearm is of quality. Some keltec? Chances are higher of course.... but if you have a decent semi auto and you know it fires your carry ammo 100% reliably and you know you don't limp wrist it then there is nothing to worry about. If I bought a carry gun and couldn't get through a few hundred rounds without a malfunction then I wouldn't carry it.

Of course though there is still always a chance. Revolvers are no exception. Just look at taurus wheel guns, those things break a lot. But generally, yes a good wheel gun has inherently more reliability based on general operation. Although with the quality semi autos out now I dont feel like it warrants giving up capacity. For a small pocket/back up gun though it is a different story. With similar capacities the wheel gun has a big advantage especially since small semi autos have a tendency to malfunction more. I do plan on getting a nice SW snub sometime soon.

I've carried a handgun for 44 years: revolvers mostly, semi-autos when I was younger. Everything from an Armand Swenson 1911 to a S&W J frame. I cannot recall every having a failure to fire or function in an S&W centerfire revolver. I've owned my share of esoteric pistols, most require more than a casual understanding of their fire control systems. A 1911 is an expert's pistol plain and simple. Owners should educate themselves to tune an extractor and know what to check when presented with a fail to feed.

I carry a S&W Model 60 (all forged, no lock). Simple and reliable.

My only advice to anyone carrying a non DAO semi-auto is hours and hours of professional training.

I've carried a handgun for 44 years: revolvers mostly, semi-autos when I was younger. Everything from an Armand Swenson 1911 to a S&W J frame. I cannot recall every having a failure to fire or function in an S&W centerfire revolver. I've owned my share of esoteric pistols, most require more than a casual understanding of their fire control systems. A 1911 is an expert's pistol plain and simple. Owners should educate themselves to tune an extractor and know what to check when presented with a fail to feed.

I carry a S&W Model 60 (all forged, no lock). Simple and reliable.

My only advice to anyone carrying a non DAO semi-auto is hours and hours of professional training.

+1 on all above^^^ very well said.

Back