Off Topic whats your buyers remorse?

I really should sell it to someone who will appreciate it the way it should be appreciated. I should reiterate that it is not a bad sharpening system by any means, I just enjoy hand sharpening and I assumed I would immediately get the same sharpness without sacrificing that joy. Obviously it is on me for expecting Magic, but that is why I consider it buyers remorse.

Are you talking about the electric WSKO? If so, it puts a very sharp convex edge on blades. You probably just need to practice with it more. I have the BGA - Blade Grinding Attachment with mine. I don't like using the WSKO the regular way, I only like using it with the BGA. And I pretty much only use it for kitchen knives and small steel parts that I need to modify and polish.
I don't use it on my knives because I want flat grind edges on them in case I'm away from home and need to freehand sharpen them with a stone.

Reactions: DMG
I really don't have any buyer's remorse. I've bought knives to mess with and decided I didn't like them enough, but generally there are very few knives that trouble my sense of "rightness" for me. Most of those I would group in the tactical design range. I've purposely resisted buying any folders costing $400+ as I just don't see the point. I do own one handmade folder that cost more than $400. (Got that out of my system.) I only own a couple fixed blades that go over the $400 mark and they never get used. I only buy knives now that I might use. I don't want any museum pieces.

My first and probably last 2 Case knives. Handles are good, but blades are the worst I have ever seen. Uneven grinds, very dull, big burrs along the whole edge partially rolled to the side, rounded tips. Trapper blades are low effort cheaply designed. No half stops, no swedges, most basic nail nicks. For that price I could have bought 7 Rough Riders or 2 CPM154 Manly and save myself disappointment and long waiting for international shipment. It shows what this mythical Made in USA quality means in practice.

Benchmade Crooked River. I guess this one was mostly my fault. I love this design and I thought it will help overcome my hate for axis. It didn't and I disliked it even more for destroying great design by putting garbage lock. At least I managed to sell it quickly without loosing much.

Shirogorov. It was my grail for a long time. Quality was probably as perfect as a folder can be and when I finally got it, I was very happy for a short time. Then I realized because of the price and rarity I don't want to use it, and I just spent a ridiculous amount of money for an useless drawer decoration instead of a new laptop. After that experience I now buy only budget and some midrange knives I know I will carry.

Brutal. the most expensive thing i bought is a buck and even that is somewhere around the 70$ range.
somehow- im turned off by custom knives. i don't know why that is but i feel like it got something to do with what im getting.
you can get good production knives nowdays, and some of them are limited editions.- however, i feel like there's something wrong about some 'stranger' selling me a 400$ knife, its not a company or an entity that can stand behind their product.

Brutal. the most expensive thing i bought is a buck and even that is somewhere around the 70$ range.
somehow- im turned off by custom knives. i don't know why that is but i feel like it got something to do with what im getting.
you can get good production knives nowdays, and some of them are limited editions.- however, i feel like there's something wrong about some 'stranger' selling me a 400$ knife, its not a company or an entity that can stand behind their product.

I'm just the opposite. Word of mouth from customers is more important to a custom knife maker than it is to a company like Case. But, of the less expensive knives available, I pretty much stick with Buck.

ESEE, worst customer service and warranty by far out of the hundreds of knives that I have purchased.

I've only really felt buyers remorse over 2 or 3 customs that had disappointing f&f, otherwise most everything has lived up to or exceeded expectations.

I do very much regret not buying one of the original ZT 0777 Vanax/herringbone damascus models I came across for sale in a Houston knife shop right after they originally debuted.

One that comes to mind is the Honey Badger knife; Heard alot of positive things about it, so i got one and was very disappointed. Not that it wasnt made ok or had any issues, it just felt cheap. Paper thin blade and liners, plastic handles and very basic pocket clip, it felt like a toy to me so i got rid of it quick.

im turned off by custom knives. i don't know why that is but i feel like it got something to do with what im getting...i feel like there's something wrong about some 'stranger' selling me a 400$ knife, its not a company or an entity that can stand behind their product.

Your thought process is wrong. A respected knifemaker stands behind every knife that leaves their shop and it’s not hard to find out about the ones that don’t.

Instead of calling a company and getting a receptionist or a customer care team member, needing to fill out a web based contact form or work order, with a custom knife order you get one on one care. I can call the maker directly and get exactly the answers or help I need.

With custom knives, you’re buying the maker, not just the knife. You have to do your homework but that’s no different than researching production knives, just a different avenue. Instead of just asking for a knife to be made, contact the makers, talk with them, share photos, etc. When you get to know the makers, you’re not buying from a stranger, you’re buying from a friend.

Your thought process is wrong. A respected knifemaker stands behind every knife that leaves their shop and it’s not hard to find out about the ones that don’t.

Instead of calling a company and getting a receptionist or a customer care team member, needing to fill out a web based contact form or work order, with a custom knife order you get one on one care. I can call the maker directly and get exactly the answers or help I need.

With custom knives, you’re buying the maker, not just the knife. You have to do your homework but that’s no different than researching production knives, just a different avenue. Instead of just asking for a knife to be made, contact the makers, talk with them, share photos, etc. When you get to know the makers, you’re not buying from a stranger, you’re buying from a friend.

This is exactly right. I enjoy every step in commissioning a custom, especially if there are WIP photos sent along the way.
Clicking "add to cart" on a production knife just isn't the same.

To answer the OP, my only real remorse is for amazing pieces that I hesitated on and didn't buy.

my buyer remorse.. buying a knife off someone here and them not disclosing the issues it had, saying it was in “excellent condition”. well bub , your definition of excellent and mine are completely different lol.. sent it in same day i received it to the warrenty department for a spa day and hopefully it’ll be fixed when i get it back.

Buying a Rough Rider Canoe pattern based on the opinions of RR I read here. Total lack of QC, threw it in my toolbox and replaced it with a Canoe by Buck which is also made in China but an order of magnitude higher quality for just $4 and change more. Never again will I make a RR purchase.

Having one of the rebladed BG42 Buck 112's in my hand (around 100 total blades made) and passed on it because of the handle was beat up..I would buy it now and swap the blade into a fancy handle..Also NOT buying some of the incredible deals on non 112's Buck sold at the Blade Show to BCCI members over the years. It never occurred to me I could trade I could trade them for 112's down the road..

Of all the I've bought from different companies.......
The 3 Buck knives I bought.
Riveted together can't take them apart.
Buck can't make a flipper that really flips.
The blades are sharp as a hack saw....look like they sharpened on a garage grinder.

Of all the I've bought from different companies.......
The 3 Buck knives I bought.
Riveted together can't take them apart.
Buck can't make a flipper that really flips.
The blades are sharp as a hack saw....look like they sharpened on a garage grinder.

Don't know about that. I trimmed my beard and mustache with my Buck 120 General right out of the box.

I only have 5 Bucks (309, 321, 325, 327, 389) and they all were shaving sharp right out of the box. Have to admit that I've never had a reason to take the folders apart so I don't know about rivets.

I regret not buying a lot of the oddball GEC’s that I saw sitting at dealers when I first started buying them.

Buying several Schrade fixed blades designed by Brian Griffin only to find out later they shafted him as the designer.

It was especially crappy since I bought multiples of several models to support Brian.

The new owners of Schrade have destroyed the brand, and will never earn my business or support.

Back