What's Your Case Slip Joint of Choice?

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
How did you decide which Case was best for you?

I want to get one, and I like the Texas Jack, the Peanut, and the Mini Trapper.

I want it to be < 3" and CV steel and that's all the parameters I have. I just want it to be easy to carry no matter what the occasion. I keep looking through the online stores and one of these days I'm going to get one.

Which Case slip joint do you have and why do you like it?

Case was the first American made slip joints I purchased.. my first being the Yellow Trapper. Never struck big with me, I went on to get a few more Case.. thought they were ok, nothing to shout about. Then I got a case Muskrat, loved the thin blade etc... followed by a Case Canoe. These two are my fav Case knives.. both are excellent cutters/workknives and comfortable to carry.

Boy, there's a lot to choose from!
Is the <3" blade length or closed length?

Either way, I like the Teardrops, Swaybacks and Peanuts, in the smaller knives. Not sure of the CV status on these patterns in current production. Case's Tru-sharp is a decent steel for a pocket knife too.

If you really want to splurge look at the Case-Bose collaboration. They aren't CV though, sorry. My favorites being the Norfolk and Wharncliffe Trapper. Neither is in production but can be found if you search around. Premium knives at premium prices. Better materials, better blade steel and great fit and finish.

Let us know what you decide!

Out of the ones you listed, I'd go with the Texas Jack. It's a good size, I like the shape of the pen blade and I like that's it's a smaller knife with square bolsters. All pretty cool attributes in my opinion. I just wish it came in more cover options....

The mini copperhead is a great smaller pattern, but I'm not sure it can be had in CV steel.
Their Tru-sharp works beautifully, though.

Just received a Case Mini Wharncliffe Trapper. It's a great size for EDC. Fit and finish on mine is very good and blades are well entered. They are SS though. My Peanut is a favourite of mine for EDC when I'm about town, it's not scary for when you're around non knife people.

Of the patterns I've tried, my favorite Case slip joint is the Medium Congress. It's out of production but versions are still out there at vendor sites. It's a great size and handle shape with what I consider a great blade variety (four blade). It also offers somewhat of a reverse angle cut that I really like. Really a surprise hit for me.

Next would probably be the Mini Trapper. Specifically the Wharncliffe/Clip combo or the Wharnie single blade. Again, greats size and feel and just overall very pleasing.

Both those models have nice half stops as well.

As of now, I think the Canoe would come in third (strictly considering slip joints and leaving out the Mini Copperlock - which would be first).

I actually prefer TruSharp.

I'm quite partial to the pen knife for an easy to carry on any occasion knife. Its 3 3/8" closed and quite slim being a single spring.
I much prefer it to the peanut; easier to handle while still being unobtrusive, no half stops and easier springs on the pen blade.

Heres one next to the Texas Jack, sorry for the bad pic.

IMG_20190730_163302.jpg
IMG_20190730_163732.jpg

My first Case, given to me by my brother in law, a Carhartt Mini Trapper Wharncliffe 6107W SS made in 2013. Its so efficient and solid.

ewaUT32.jpg

My favorite Case knife outside of the Case/Bose collaborations is the 35 pattern. The pattern was discontinued after 1985 I believe but they aren't that difficult to find in good shape.

Here's one from the 1940-1964 era with carbon steel blades.
IMG_4153.JPG
IMG_4152.JPG
And another one from 1982 with stainless steel blades.
IMG_4470.JPG

Boy, there's a lot to choose from!
Is the <3" blade length or closed length?

Either way, I like the Teardrops, Swaybacks and Peanuts, in the smaller knives. Not sure of the CV status on these patterns in current production. Case's Tru-sharp is a decent steel for a pocket knife too.

If you really want to splurge look at the Case-Bose collaboration. They aren't CV though, sorry. My favorites being the Norfolk and Wharncliffe Trapper. Neither is in production but can be found if you search around. Premium knives at premium prices. Better materials, better blade steel and great fit and finish.

Let us know what you decide!

Yeah. 3” closed. But that’s not written in stone. Just so it doesn’t take up too much room or make my britches bulge.

I do like the Texas Jack, it's just a nice simple do everything knife... Both the Large and Medium sizes.
But I have to say my favorite is the Mini Trapper... I like the round end caps, they are more comfortable in use than square bolsters, and I like the half stops. I have several Mini Trappers but my favorites are the Dogleg Jack and the Improved Trapper. The Improved has a perfect assortment of blades for just about any task, something straight and something with belly (both pointy). :cool::thumbsup:

Top to bottom: Improved Mini Trapper, Dogleg Jack, Medium Texas Jack, and Large Texas jack

Lots of great comments and pictures here.

I am realizing my preferred handle materials are 1. Amber bone. 2. Blue bone. And 3. Yellow synthetic.

Half stop or not makes no difference to me.

And like a typical hunter-gatherer, I get excited about the selection process.

957BC10F-CF37-4A3C-A781-48414379B8B4.jpeg How to choose! Here are my favorites:
Tribal lock is the largest but under 3in. A great pattern and carry. Medium stockman also has quite a bit of pocket time and I like it more to whittle with than the seahorse Whittler. The russlock is just cool, and I love their pocket worn series. The mini trapper is very useful and slender. And last but not least is the cas Barlow. LOVING this new run and have bought a few. Case knives are affordable, why just get one???? ;)

I don't think the 090 pattern is available in CV but I could be wrong. I've owned several of these and still have three of them. It's a real nice medium stockman with sunken joints and round bolsters. Carries very well in the pocket and every one of them that I've owned has been exceptional. Case seems to do this pattern very well for some reason.

This is Pocket Worn Harvest Orange but these were made in many different handle options. No CV that I'm aware of though.

IMG_2908.JPG
IMG_2913.JPG
IMG_2915.JPG

Rather hard to say, and that's a good thing:D

Currently, it's the Chestnut Bone Swayback Gent in cv

eIXye50.jpg

But a big shout goes out for the Penknife, Slimline Trapper and I'm really bad at recalling Stockman pattern No.s:rolleyes: but the square bolster Medium one that has Pen in place of Spey? Identical frame to Small Texas Jack:cool:

ifQPHEf.jpg

9nglyLR.jpg

Last edited:
Back