What's Your Case Slip Joint of Choice?

OJmU4jE.jpg
case 6249 copperhead is my favorite. It’s the perfect size, sucken joint, rounded bolster but the full size trapper is a close second. I used a 6254 as a pattern to make the bottom one.

How did you decide which Case was best for you?

I want to get one, and I like the Texas Jack, the Peanut, and the Mini Trapper.

I want it to be < 3" and CV steel and that's all the parameters I have. I just want it to be easy to carry no matter what the occasion. I keep looking through the online stores and one of these days I'm going to get one.

Which Case slip joint do you have and why do you like it?

I like the ones with TB item numbers. Those are the ones with which Tony Bose had input into.

For a knife with a closed length less than 3" I like the Swayback Jack.
If you are willing to go to 3 1/2" then the Wharncliffe trapper.

How did I get there?
I bought various patterns and carried them on an everyday basis to see what worked for me.
YMMV.

R90lYJm.jpg

UhCS0Zu.jpg

I don't think the 090 pattern is available in CV but I could be wrong. I've owned several of these and still have three of them. It's a real nice medium stockman with sunken joints and round bolsters. Carries very well in the pocket and every one of them that I've owned has been exceptional. Case seems to do this pattern very well for some reason.

This is Pocket Worn Harvest Orange but these were made in many different handle options. No CV that I'm aware of though.

View attachment 1171029
View attachment 1171030
View attachment 1171031

I am looking for the 090 versions of the Case medium stockman. I like the even end knives like the GEC 78.

Seems these 090s are a bit rare. I had no idea there were so many flavours of a medium stockman. Multiple mediums!

Is this a pattern reserved for special editions like the John Wayne Cancer society or only small runs?

I would snap up either of the two you posted.

I have one in my sights right now. Just waiting for a callback from the retailer sometime today. They told me on my phone inquiry Mondays are there big day.

,,,Mike in Canada

I am looking for the 090 versions of the Case medium stockman. I like the even end knives like the GEC 78.

Seems these 090s are a bit rare. I had no idea there were so many flavours of a medium stockman. Multiple mediums!

Is this a pattern reserved for special editions like the John Wayne Cancer society or only small runs?

I have one in my sights right now. Just waiting for a callback from the retailer sometime today. They told me on my phone inquiry Mondays are there big day.

,,,Mike in Canada
Mike, I don't think the 090's are rare or reserved for special additions or small runs.

I'm going to send you a PM.

,,,Mike in Canada
Keep your eye out on eBay ... you'll find there are quite a few more variations of the 090 available. It's one of my all time dress pants fave's - small, slim but big enough to still be useful --->

Sc3SPkF.jpg

Last edited:
The yeller delrin medium CV stockman with punch is my favourite Case.

I think it’s the 3318PU. I notice it’s been discontinued.

It has two useful and diverse blade shapes in a comfortable and elegant serpentine handle, with rounded bolsters. The punch is useful for poking, boring holes and prying.

I like how Case use stainless backsprings on their CV bladed models. The punch is also stainless.

The CV Jumbo Stockman in amber bone, and the Mini-trapper in Trusharp and amber bone also get a fair bit of use.

My favourite individual Case knife is this one, of course ;):cool: :
C2C1551F-63A0-494B-A5E9-3402768E5F77.jpeg
1A5BCC00-4860-4337-B45B-12A4EC6B2C6B.jpeg

Last edited:
The yeller delrin medium CV stockman with punch is my favourite Case.

I think it’s the 3318PU. I notice it’s been discontinued.

It has two useful and diverse blade shapes in a comfortable and elegant serpentine handle, with rounded bolsters. The punch is useful for poking, boring holes and prying.

I like how Case use stainless backsprings on their CV bladed models. The punch is also stainless.

The CV Jumbo Stockman in amber bone, and the Mini-trapper in Trusharp and amber bone also get a fair bit of use.

My favourite individual Case knife is this one, of course ;):cool: :
View attachment 1186704
View attachment 1186703
I think they still do make that pattern ---> http://www.casexx.com/Details/?ProductCode=22516&Patid=30

There are other patterns I might "like" more, but I actually use a Case Tuxedo every day.

That little secondary blade can do things no other blade shape can do.

Ah thanks, good to see they’re still running that 2318PU version in black scales. :):thumbsup:

I’d just done a quick search on Knifecenter’s site for the model number, as I didn’t have the knife at hand, and noticed they have it as discontinued.

Adding a couple of pics of the Mini-trapper and large Stockman.

I pocket the Trusharp Mini-trapper as an eating knife for those situations where I might be given a horribly dull steak knife, or worse, a knife shaped piece of plastic at BBQs. If it dulls while slicing food on a ceramic plate, no problem, it sharpens back in a jiffy.

Bczlrnk.jpg

uXRtHpy.jpg

(They’ve both had a bit of potassium permanganate treatment.)

Last edited:
I have 2 current favorites at this point. One is a yellow jigged bone Swayback Jack and the other is a single blade Carhartt Mini Trapper.
upload_2019-10-29_18-56-45.jpeg

upload_2019-10-29_18-57-24.jpeg

This doesn’t mean that I don’t carry my other favorites at the same time like Mini Copperlock, Slimline Trapper, Russlock and always a Peanut.

Last edited:
1. 6347 or 5347 stockman preferably the three spring version but I do have a few nice 65-69 two spring
2. 5375 or 6375 stockman
3. trapper
4. any of the other patterns

These two, although 3-1/2" closed, are two of my favorites because I like the looks of the yellow delrin, especially on this western wild rag, and the feel of the smoothness of the covers. Both are in CV steel, one is a mini Trapper and the other a medium Stockman.
hMrmgxQ.jpg

Back