Recommendation? What's your favorite ~3" folder?

Edit

Kershaw Natrix 7006CU - The D2 drop point flipper is under 3 that's what I have.

Higher end wise a lot of the Emerson Mini CQC Tanto's are right around 3 inches. I have one in 3.5 and it's great.

For me it is the small inkosi PJ drop point with silver hardware
I also like the Koenig mini goblin, the Hinderer Half track, the Drop Gent, Spyderco Native 5 and para 3.

How about the 2" Zero Tolerance 0022? 20200925_134114.jpg
Curved 20CV blade gives longer cutting edge than 2", easier opening than many flippers, deep cutouts for control, super compact. On the upper end of your target price range, though

Spyderco Para 3 in any blade steel is a winner but Cruwear is my favorite.

Also a fan of the 3.4" Doug Ritter RSK-MK1 (Gen2). By far the easiest opening (with a flick of the wrist) folder I have. Wide stonewashed blade, grippy palm filling handle.
20200925_144643.jpg

Last edited:
Don't mean to sidetrack the OPs thread but I have to say the one thing that turns me off to some of the mentioned knives and many others in this size range is that they use overly thick steel. So many of they are 0.12" or even thicker and in the 3ish inch range and smaller I just don't understand the need for such a thick blade, 0.09" is perfect and should be the go to especially with better steels.

I'll add to the Hogue Deka love. I put a deep carry clip on mine, and it's about perfect in the 3" size range.
I'd say the SOG Terminus XR is also worth a look.

Native 5
IMG_0851-X4.jpg

Are autos legal where you live? If so you'd like the Kershaw launch 11. Super classy and right around 3in. I have many expensive blades but still take the time to carry the launch 11, because its just that good. Cheers!

I'm finding that 3" is a good size for me. It's almost always* big enough to cut up fruit when out and about. (which I do a lot of) but small enough to have good control of the tip, when needed.
* cutting the cheeks off of a mango takes more than a 3" blade...

Here's what I have so far in that realm and why I'm still looking after acquiring them:
  • Spyderco Delica - Leaves the index and middle fingers crowded. Feels like this is one I should always keep, since I had one before, sold it, then bought another one two years ago. ...or I might give this to my girlfriend
  • Spyderco Native - Although it is ergonomically great and the blade is about 3", it doesn't have a lot of cutting edge, due to the finger choil.
  • Steel Will Modus (3.3") - The pocket-pecker irritates
  • Steel Will Mini Cutjack (3") - Pocket-pecker + lost 1/2" of cutting edge due to choil
  • Cold Steel Grik (2.8") - Thumb stud is really in the way for all slicing; can't find a small enough allen wrench to remove it
  • CRKT Mah Jouneyer (2.7") - A bit too small, lost cutting edge due to choil
  • Spydiechef (3.3") - A bit on the large side; nearly perfect otherwise.
  • Spyderco Alastair Phillips (3.6") - Large, but nearly perfect otherwise.
  • Victorinox Trekker OHO (3.4") - Bulky to carry; soft blade steel; love the tools though!
I just ordered a Spyderco UKPK; looks like this might be perfect.

Almost ordered a Benchmade 550-1 Mini Grip with the Spydie hole, but didn't want to drop the $178 for it. There's one other Mini Grip with a the Spydie Hole, but I'm not convinced it's worth $100+ either. Plus, the checkering on the FRN versions is a pocket-ripper. (maybe get one and sand down some of the checkering under the pocket clip?)

What have you got in a 3" blade that might do the trick for me?

Para 3 definitely! Cute little knife that still allows for a full solid grip.

Update - I bought a used Benchmade Griptilian Mini and am awaiting the UKPK as well.

I like the look of that Doug Ritter RSK, but they copied the Axis Lock, which to me is pretty lame. If I'm going to pay big bucks for an Axis Lock knife, I'd rather give the money to Benchmade.

For me it is the small inkosi PJ drop point with silver hardware
I also like the Koenig mini goblin, the Hinderer Half track, the Drop Gent, Spyderco Native 5 and para 3.
I have a Native, blade's a bit short. Para 3 is bulkier/heavier than what I like. The others are way out of budget.

How about the 2" Zero Tolerance 0022? View attachment 1425766
Curved 20CV blade gives longer cutting edge than 2", easier opening than many flippers, deep cutouts for control, super compact. On the upper end of your target price range, though
A little too short for my needs, this time.

My favorite 3" folder would be my victorinox huntsman. I can do a lot with this knife.
I've got about 50 SAKs, so you're preaching to the choir. I think my favorite is the Super Tinker or the custom Compact with the inline Phillips and magnifier layer added.

I go for years at a time carrying only a SAK, (and having them stashed everywhere) but I always come back to adding a folder too, because the SAK mfrs. refuse to use a blade steel with decent hardness. (Rc > 57) God forbid they have to handle more than one type of steel; it would just wreck everything. :-\ SAKs are easy to sharpen, but I just don't WANT to sharpen them every week. I do have a Leatherman Charge Al that rides in my usual shoulder bag; it has a 154CM plain blade that is just great, as well as two bit drivers, scissors, etc.

Spyderco Sage 5 FRN, or the Delica 4. Those two are tied as my all time #1 knives.
Got a Delica, forgot about the Sage. Going to have a look at it and add either it or a Chaparral to my Wish List for the future.

Last edited:
The Ritter Rsk was my first thought, back on Page 1. But the smaller version is $160, a bit out of Smaug Smaug 's stated price range.

I do need to correct you (Smaug) on something.

Hogue did not "copy" the Axis Lock. The RSK was manufactured by Benchmade, in collaboration with Ritter, from 2004 to 2016, when Benchmade decided they did no want to continue the deal.

In 2016, Benchmade's patent on the mechanism of the Axis Lock expired. This means that anybody can now use the mechanical arrangement which makes up the Axis Lock.

Benchmade continues to hold legal ownership of the name "Axis Lock". The name of the lock on the new Hogue/Ritter RSK is the "ABLE Lock". A fine distinction I grant you, but Doug is a standup guy, and he would never operate outside of the law (at least, not without a very good reason).

It's difficult to convey tone of voice over the Internet, so I don't want anybody to think that I'm talking down or patronizing. I want people who read this to have as much information as possible.

Back