Recommendation? What's your favorite ~3" folder?

Spyderco Jess Horn. Not the baby one, the full sized one. Blade is 3 1/8 inches, san mai-ish mishmash of ZDP-189 and 420J2.

Not my photos, but damn nice ones of the same knife. It pretty much just sits around here... let me know if you want to try it out.

IMG_7276.jpg

IMG_7285.jpg

Spyderco just came out with a smaller version of the pattada called the pattadese! Roughly a 3" blade and very slicey profile! I love the full size! IMG_20200224_183057.jpg

Check the drop Gent from Ferrum Forge, very nice EDC with a slim profile in the $100 range

if you can go up to 3.3” the Bugout is great, light and slim.
I have a ranger green one that looks very good

the Manly Wasp slipjoint has been recommended and iflocking blade is not required, it is a great slicer in the $50 range

image.jpeg
Update - I bought a used Benchmade Bugout Mini and am awaiting the UKPK as well.

I like the look of that Doug Ritter RSK, but they copied the Axis Lock, which to me is pretty lame. If I'm going to pay big bucks for an Axis Lock knife, I'd rather give the money to Benchmade.

I have a Native, blade's a bit short. Para 3 is bulkier/heavier than what I like. The others are way out of budget.

A little too short for my needs, this time.

I've got about 50 SAKs, so you're preaching to the choir. I think my favorite is the Super Tinker or the custom Compact with the inline Phillips and magnifier layer added.

I go for years at a time carrying only a SAK, (and having them stashed everywhere) but I always come back to adding a folder too, because the SAK mfrs. refuse to use a blade steel with decent hardness. (Rc > 57) God forbid they have to handle more than one type of steel; it would just wreck everything. :-\ SAKs are easy to sharpen, but I just don't WANT to sharpen them every week. I do have a Leatherman Charge Al that rides in my usual shoulder bag; it has a 154CM plain blade that is just great, as well as two bit drivers, scissors, etc.
SAK makes premium priced blades just not premium performance.

Got a Delica, forgot about the Sage. Going to have a look at it and add either it or a Chaparral to my Wish List for the future.

61lolyJfYPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A Joker NA08, an elegant little Spanish knife with bull horn handle scales. Relatively unexpensive. Elegant and NOT made in China ^_^.

Shortttime, thanks for taking the time to clarify. I didn't take it bad.

The Ritter Rsk was my first thought, back on Page 1. But the smaller version is $160, a bit out of Smaug Smaug 's stated price range.

I do need to correct you (Smaug) on something.

Hogue did not "copy" the Axis Lock. The RSK was manufactured by Benchmade, in collaboration with Ritter, from 2004 to 2016, when Benchmade decided they did no want to continue the deal.

In 2016, Benchmade's patent on the mechanism of the Axis Lock expired. This means that anybody can now use the mechanical arrangement which makes up the Axis Lock.

Benchmade continues to hold legal ownership of the name "Axis Lock". The name of the lock on the new Hogue/Ritter RSK is the "ABLE Lock". A fine distinction I grant you, but Doug is a standup guy, and he would never operate outside of the law (at least, not without a very good reason).

It's difficult to convey tone of voice over the Internet, so I don't want anybody to think that I'm talking down or patronizing. I want people who read this to have as much information as possible.

ime:

Right now I’ve been rotating the Boker Leviathan, small sebenza, CRKT Pilar, MKT slim praetorian, and large Buck vantage..

So good I have two of them: Kizer Sealion. S35VN, Ti, smooth action, beautiful IMO. On sale for $119...quite a bargain - 3.2"

Attachments

• DA725A89-AF89-498D-9FEB-B8E7AF07AD6A.jpeg
    DA725A89-AF89-498D-9FEB-B8E7AF07AD6A.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back