Whats your favorite civivi?

I've spent time with a couple more of them since I first posted in this thread, and one has risen to the top: the Exarch. If you like front flippers, it's a great example; if you don't, the Chronic is the same knife with a back flipper, just barely less minimalist.

fv3NTdg.jpg

m9hyGFw.jpg

I own an odium and a praxis. The praxis is awesome but it’s really big, especially after fidgeting with the odium for a while. Would be a great camping knife, if I ever camped. :)

The odium is nearly perfect. Fidgety. Flipper and middle finger flick are perfect. It looks awesome (I have the all black, and I love the Damascus one but returned it because the pivot screw wouldn’t unscrew, the pivot just spun). But, it’s just too small. I know that’s the point, but I want a knife that fits my hand better.

Ive got a Damascus elementum on the way to try out but I’m thinking it’s also going to be too small. A button lock elemental looks near perfect but I want the flipper and finger flick.

So, I’m looking at the riffle and the Ortis. Anyone ever try these? I think the riffle would be near perfect but it looks almost as big as the praxis. And the Ortis seems to be about the same size as the elementum.

Picked up a Riffle and an Imperium and they're really spectacular quality. Frankly, better action and build quality than knives I've spent significantly more on. I'm very much looking forward to the Cogent.
Riffle pics please? With size comparison if you have any other civivi.

Late lunch today. Restaurant steak knife vs mine...
Not to advertise, but the founder of texas roadhouse (died by suicide after battle with Covid) forgo his salary to keep his hourly employees happy...I will always support this affordable steak joint :)
Screenshot_20210807-140251_Gallery.jpg

... So, I’m looking at the riffle and the Ortis. Anyone ever try these? I think the riffle would be near perfect but it looks almost as big as the praxis. And the Ortis seems to be about the same size as the elementum.

I wanted to like the Ortis but the lock bar was very proud of the scales. The jimping wasn't sharp and the coating helped to round out the edges but it was just too tall. It created a major hot spot for me during use. Beyond that, it was a fantastic knife. They did an excellent job with what I think was their first time using FRN. It had a nice feel. The blade shape was good. It was ground as well as most Civivi knives. The action was great too. Oh well.

I have a Riffle in Micarta and I like it. It is smaller than the Praxis. It's about the same size as the Baklash but with thinner scales. The Baklash feels better in my hand but a big part of that is the shape better meeting my grip. The texture of the Micarta on the Riffle is very nice. The action is good. The blade shape, finish, and cut-out create a little intrigue without sacrificing functionality. It cuts well. Overall, I'd say it's worth trying out.

I could take a picture of the Riffle alongside the Baklash and Elementum. I already promised a picture of the Bo alongside a few other knives. I don't know if I'll get to it before daylight runs out today but I should have time tomorrow.

Last edited:
I wanted to like the Ortis but the lock bar was very proud of the scales. The jimping wasn't sjarp and the coating helped to round out the edges but it was just too tall. It created a major hot spot for me during use. Beyond that, it was a fantastic knife. They did an excellent job with what I think was their first time using FRN. It had a nice feel. The blade shape was good. It was ground as well as most Civivi knives. The action was great too. Oh well.

I have a Riffle in Micarta and I like it. It is smaller than the Praxis. It's about the same size as the Baklash but with thinner scales. The Baklash feels better in my hand but a big part of that is the shape better meeting my grip. The texture of the Micarta on the Riffle is very nice. The action is good. The blade shape, finish, and cut-out create a little intrigue without sacrificing functionality. It cuts well. Overall, I'd say it's worth trying out.

I could take a picture of the Riffle alongside the Baklash and Elementum. I already promised a picture of the Bo alongside a few other knives. I don't know if I'll get to it before daylight runs out today but I should have time tomorrow.
Thanks for the info, I’d love the pics whenever you have time. The baklash looks like I’d like the handle a lot but I really want the ability for thumb/middle finger deployment.

My Elementum arrived today and I’m going to give it a couple days before making a decision but my initial impression is it’s just worse than the Odium. I only get 3 fingers on either handle unless I choke up and the odium looks & feels better to me and has the middle finger flick.

Here’s a Praxis, Elementum and Odium. If I were to choose one right now, the Odium wins. I think Riffle is next on the to-try list. EDIT: hmm can’t figure out how to attach pics from my phone

Thanks for the info, I’d love the pics whenever you have time. The baklash looks like I’d like the handle a lot but I really want the ability for thumb/middle finger deployment.

My Elementum arrived today and I’m going to give it a couple days before making a decision but my initial impression is it’s just worse than the Odium. I only get 3 fingers on either handle unless I choke up and the odium looks & feels better to me and has the middle finger flick.

Here’s a Praxis, Elementum and Odium. If I were to choose one right now, the Odium wins. I think Riffle is next on the to-try list. EDIT: hmm can’t figure out how to attach pics from my phone

You are welcome. I'll tag you when I post the pics.

The Elementum is good for its size, especially the premium edition with S35VN and thinner blade stock. If that size is too small though, no amount of awesome is going to matter. It also won't work for alternate opening methods.

Coincidentally, one thing I don't like about the Elementum is how the liners are proud of the scales. I appreciate the aesthetic value and it does look cool. It just isn't a good ergonomic choice. It means a thinner contact surface all the way around. It doesn't always matter given the philosophy of use for a very small knife like the Elementum or the Mini Domin from Kizer. It's a small enough issue that I still generally recommend the Elementum. I just prefer to have optimized ergonomics. That said, I don't like the recess for the lanyard hole either. I'd love to see those issues addressed by aftermarket scales.

The Riffle's long flat bar along the spine side of the cut-out offers more possibilities for opening methods. It all just depends on the geometry of your hand versus the knife. For instance, I can thumb-flick my Riffle all day but middle-flicking is more of a challenge. (Of course, my hands aren't as good as they used to be.)

You are welcome. I'll tag you when I post the pics.

The Elementum is good for its size, especially the premium edition with S35VN and thinner blade stock. If that size is too small though, no amount of awesome is going to matter. It also won't work for alternate opening methods.

Coincidentally, one thing I don't like about the Elementum is how the liners are proud of the scales. I appreciate the aesthetic value and it does look cool. It just isn't a good ergonomic choice. It means a thinner contact surface all the way around. It doesn't always matter given the philosophy of use for a very small knife like the Elementum or the Mini Domin from Kizer. It's a small enough issue that I still generally recommend the Elementum. I just prefer to have optimized ergonomics. That said, I don't like the recess for the lanyard hole either. I'd love to see those issues addressed by aftermarket scales.

The Riffle's long flat bar along the spine side of the cut-out offers more possibilities for opening methods. It all just depends on the geometry of your hand versus the knife. For instance, I can thumb-flick my Riffle all day but middle-flicking is more of a challenge. (Of course, my hands aren't as good as they used to be.)
The Elementum is a nice little knife, I like how it feels in the hand. Single deployment method is a dealbreaker for me right now though. Sending it back. Riffle should be here Monday.

Re: middle finger flicking your Riffle… if it’s anything like my Odium, it’s impossible to do at the top of the blade like you would a spyderco knife. But if I flick from as far down the hole as I can, it works 100% of the time and is super satisfying. YMMV.

My Ferrum Forge Mini Archbishop tickles me in all the right places...

Attachments

• image-asset.jpeg
    image-asset.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 5
Just got the riffle and imperium and love them! Also recently got the shredder. Love the action on that one, the thin hollow grind, and ergos. Also have had the exarch and mckenna for a while. Love them all! I will say that I’m liking the micarta and blade steel on the riffle a lot!

For looks I like the Civivi Dogma Blue (Damascus/G10-carbon fiber) and for function I like the Pintail (S35VN/Micarta), although it would be better for someone with smaller hands. The flipper action for the Civivis is great.

I've also got the Backlash (Damascus/G10), the Elementum (D2/Guibourtia handle), and the BullMastiff Black (Damascus/G10-carbon fibre). I'm not a big fan of the way they put the thin carbon fiber facades over the scales and their Damascus isn't the greatest Damascus, but when my teenage self saw that Bullmastiff Black and started tugging on my adult self's sleeve, how could I saw no?

Just curious, does anyone feel that the D2 steel is inferior to other blade steels used in $50 knives from other companies? From what I've been able to read many seem to consider the D2 to be a decent steel (may be a bit prone to rusting).

Is the 9Cr18MoV considered a step above or below the D2? I've read the D2 is a bit better but based on the pricing of some of their knives one could come to either conclusion. The G2 is used in some of their $50 knives but also in $80 knives. The 9Cr18MoV is used in both $40 knives and $90 knives.

TripleB67
D2 has a lot of range in quality. I wouldn't hold up Civivi's heat treatment of D2 steel beside what Cold Steel can do with the same material, but the same could be said of a lot of other company's D2 heat treatment measured against Cold Steel. It's one of the reasons why I was excited by the S35VN steel for the Pintail. Because of that, the Pintail is the one Civivi I wouldn't get the Damascus option for.

E ETHBenjamins , here are some comparisons. From left to right: Sage 5, Elementum (S35VN version), Riffle, Sencut Snap (also made by WE), and the Baklash (Ebony scales).

W7jdpCI.jpg
Thanks for the pics, it helps! Nice knives.

I ended up ordering an Ortis and a Riffle so we will see which one fits my hand better and feels better for carrying. I’m still enjoying the Odium and it’s probably fine for my actual needs.

Here’s the previously promised pic of the Praxis / Elementum / Odium.

UNOwxOs.jpg

Back