What's your favorite Swiss army knife? POLL!

What's your favorite Swiss army knife?

• Other Victorinox model (please specify in your reply)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Wenger model (please specify in your reply)

• Victorinox Cadet

• Victorinox Camper

• Victorinox Classic SD

• Victorinox Climber

• Victorinox Hiker

• Victorinox One Hand Trekker

• Victorinox Soldier (111mm)

• Victorinox (91mm alox)

• Victorinox Spartan

• Victorinox SwissChamp

• Victorinox Tinker

• What's a Swiss army knife?

• Total voters
I got my first swiss army knife for my fourteenth birthday as a gift from my father, and I've loved it for years ever since. It's the Victorinox huntsman, and the ONLY quarrel I have with it is that it has no phillips head screwdriver on it, but I have a smaller, generic multitool for that! I carry it on my belt with me wherever I go!

...It's the Victorinox huntsman, and the ONLY quarrel I have with it is that it has no phillips head screwdriver on it...

The Huntsman is a very nice Swiss army knife, especially as a first! Did you know that the can opener can be used as a Phillips screwdriver?

phillips_can_opener.jpg

vm_53201_sol_a03.jpg

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=sportsandleisure&product=53201

The Craftsman is my current favorite SAK followed by the Trekker. A Classic rides on my keyring.

As much as I love my Blue Alox Farmer. The SAK with the most pocket time would've been my former SAK Tinker and subsequently a Cybertool 34.

I've since lost the Tinker and gone through an Onyx CB 34, an Emerald CB 34, and two Sapphire CB 34s before I finally ended with my current Cybertool Lite. Wish that was offered in a different color, though.

<Edit>

Just found a CB Lite w/StayGlow handles; very tempting.

Last edited:
Love the Vic Rambler. It goes everywhere with me on the keyring no matter what else I may have in my pockets.

I don't have it yet, cause apparently it's not sold here in Europe so I will have to get it in the US, but since quality is not an issue here (all SAK are genetically identical) I will say the One Hand Trekker (non serrated). And I hope my old Spartan (first SAK and first knife I ever bought) won't be jealous about me saying this.....
By the way, what's your experience with SAK locking blades? how exactly does the lock work? I admit I never saw one (old school SAK only here) :)

My current favorite is the Adventurer. I find the side lock feature very handy and sufficiently strong.

I find the old Money Clip with a real file to be the most desirable as far as i am concerned.

I don't have it yet, cause apparently it's not sold here in Europe so I will have to get it in the US, but since quality is not an issue here (all SAK are genetically identical) I will say the One Hand Trekker (non serrated). And I hope my old Spartan (first SAK and first knife I ever bought) won't be jealous about me saying this.....
By the way, what's your experience with SAK locking blades? how exactly does the lock work? I admit I never saw one (old school SAK only here) :)

There are several locking mechanisms. Most of the current Victorinox SAKs with locking blades use a liner lock. I've used my Soldier 09 with such a liner lock a lot last year, for outdoor use, and it feels very secure. The liner lock mechanism also locks the big screw driver / bottle opener.

On some of my older models like the Rucksack and Hunter, there's a slide lock, where you have to slide a button on the side of the SAK to unlock the main blade. It works well and I think it's secure enough, but the liner lock just feels more secure. Probably also because you can see the liner lock locking the blade.

One of my favorite models is the Victorinox 'Huntsman' in Silver Tech guise. I like having scissors as a 'tool option', on SAK and EDC multi-tool. The 'toothpick' is also a very handy item, when coming from the restaurant. The only tool I wouldn't use too often would probably be the 'hook'. Anyway here's a picture of mine:

HPIM1246.jpg

Here it is, third from the left in a group photo. See how it compares in size to the Wenger 'Evo 10' and the Vic 'Trekker'.

Last edited:
I'm realy digging the Recruit right now it's a pretty practical design IMO and not the least bit overbuilt.

I EDC a small classic Sebenza and supplment that with either a black Tinker or the silver Alox Soldier. Can't decide whether I like the Soldier or the Tinker more. Soldier seems stronger and is a little thinner. But I like that the Tinker has the phillips head screwdriver.

Back