What's your favorite Swiss army knife?

Just the Alox Soldier suits me. It's amazing how many trips this knife saved me from going back to the maintenance room and sometimes that's a long walk.
DSCF0320.jpg

Vic Farmer any day, all day! IMO the best woodsbumming pocket knife due to the kind of tools it has and it's strength due to the thicker implements and Alox construction in comparison to the plastic models. Not to mention the compact size. Second would be Soldier (Alox) or Pioneer. If I had to choose a plastic one, I would go with the Hiker or Camper. Stay safe out there.

I usually carry a Soldier these days. Thinking about going back to my Spartan, since I've been drinking wine lately. I tend to stick with basic models.

For the last couple months, it's been the Vic Farmer. I've become so comfortable with it, I don't even EDC a tactical folder anymore. Just the Farmer.

The tough part was to come up with a proper carry method for the Farmer. I tried the steel and the leather Victorinox belt hangers, and they were okay, but not great. I finally took matters into my own hands and came up with this. It's a paracord lanyard, about the same length as the chain on a chain wallet. The lanyard loops through a belt loop, and the knife goes into my pocket. It works equally well in a pair of cargo shorts or a pair on blue jeans. The Farmer sits perfectly in the back pocket of my jeans, next to my wallet.

The Photon always tags along with the Farmer, as does a small four leaf clover. I don't believe in luck, but the four leaf clover, when coupled with a SAK, kind of symbolizes that I like to make my own luck.

Picture015.jpg

lucky2.jpg

Image2.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture009.jpg

I've carried several SAK's the last couple of months and since I put a Victorinox Ambassador on my keychain, I don't need scissors anymore on the SAK in my pocket. Now I mostly carry basic two layer SAK's.

A few weeks ago I bought a Wenger Spartan and I like the way you can access the awl on it. I usually have a mini screwdriver in the cork screw and on my Victorinox Spartan it is a bit hard to open the awl then. Wenger put the nail notch on the other side of the awl. The Wenger Spartan is a bit shorter than the Victorinox Spartan, but that's okay with me. But if I need to open cans, I still prefer the Victorinox can opener over the one of Wenger.

I'm new here and I'm embarrassed to say that I only have one SAK - but I really like it. I bought it over a decade ago and have been EDCing it ever since. It is a Victorinox Cybertool, I am a computer tech so this is a great SAK for me.

Does anyone know when the Cybertool was released? I remember reading about this SAK in an article on ZDNet and I was keen, I went into a local store that sells Victorinox and asked about it - they hadn't heard of it but offered to inquire with the rep and let me know. They rang a couple of weeks later and I went in and bought it - it has been in a holster on my hip ever since.

I have been through a couple of holsters but the Cybertool is 100% original - I still have all the original driver bits and everything else. The original pen is still with it and it still writes!

I believe that mine is now called the Cybertool 34 - but when I bought it there was only one so it was just called the Cybertool.

Welcome to the forum! I don't own a Cybertool yet, but I've read that the Cybertool in general and the Cybertool 34 in special is very popular amongst people working in a high tech environment. A guy on an other forum reported that he disassembled a laptop, repaired it and rebuilt it with just using a Cybertool 34.

I'm gonna name a couple that I've used:

Tinker
Pioneer
Cybertool 34
SwissChamp
One Hand Trekker
Climber
Classic
Swiss Memory
Money Clip
Cybertool Lite
Compact
Farmer

I've had the Tinker the longest (my first SAK since college), so it get's my nod for favorite.

The Cybertool 34 is a very close second.

If Victorinox puts the Screwdriver/Bit set into the SwissChamp, that would be my favorite!

I'm new here and I'm embarrassed to say that I only have one SAK - but I really like it. I bought it over a decade ago and have been EDCing it ever since. It is a Victorinox Cybertool, I am a computer tech so this is a great SAK for me.

Does anyone know when the Cybertool was released? I remember reading about this SAK in an article on ZDNet and I was keen, I went into a local store that sells Victorinox and asked about it - they hadn't heard of it but offered to inquire with the rep and let me know. They rang a couple of weeks later and I went in and bought it - it has been in a holster on my hip ever since.

I have been through a couple of holsters but the Cybertool is 100% original - I still have all the original driver bits and everything else. The original pen is still with it and it still writes!

I believe that mine is now called the Cybertool 34 - but when I bought it there was only one so it was just called the Cybertool.

Welcome,

The Cybertool 34 is an excellent first SAK!

From this site http://gadgets.softpedia.com/gadgets/Cross-Gadgets-and-Oddities/CyberTool--the-Computer-Expert-s-Swiss-Army-Knife-1275.html, it looks like the Cybertool line was introduced on the 2nd half of 2005.

I have trouble with that date b/c I could swear that I started carrying a Cybertool 34 mid to late 2004 timeframe.

Hope this helps.

Welcome,

The Cybertool 34 is an excellent first SAK!

From this site http://gadgets.softpedia.com/gadgets/Cross-Gadgets-and-Oddities/CyberTool--the-Computer-Expert-s-Swiss-Army-Knife-1275.html, it looks like the Cybertool line was introduced on the 2nd half of 2005.

I have trouble with that date b/c I could swear that I started carrying a Cybertool 34 mid to late 2004 timeframe.

Hope this helps.

No help I'm afraid - from the job I was doing and the company I was working for I know for certain that it was around a decade ago that I bought my Cybertool. I think it may have been 1998, but it may have been 1999.

I started working for a computer company doing onsite warranty repairs in August of 1997 and I carried a tool bag with a variety of useful tool (Phillips #2 Screwdriver, sidecutters, pliers, sharp knife, etc.) and after a year or 2 I read about the Victorinox Cybertool on ZDNet or CNet and I enquired about buying one and got it as soon as it came into the shop. From this I have a decent idea of the timeframe and I know I got mine when they first came into New Zealand which would have been within months of Victorinox first releasing it.

I worked for that company from August 1997 to May 2002 and I carried the Cybertool for a reasonable time while working for them, so I am sure I got it before 2001. I think 1998 or 1999 but I could be wrong and it could be 2000 - I would be willing to bet money on it being one of those 3 years!

The SAKwiki has the original Cybertool down as being released in 2000.

I would have thought 1999, but I could be wrong and I can definitely believe 2000 much easier than 2005. Maybe in 2005 it got called the Cybertool 34 and the other models (29 & 41) got released.

Wow - I could have been working as a computer tech in that job for 3 years before I got the Cybertool, that is quite a long time without the proper tool for the job.

Incredible that I hadn't heard of the Cybertool at that time. I was working on pcs since 1993 and haven't heard of the Cybertool at that time (2000). I began working at a video card company in 2002 and was it was highly recommended. Now, I almost never leave home w/o it.

Thanks for digging that useful tidbit of info.

Back