What's your go-to, beat up cutting tool?

Old Mora blade traded for at a pow wow stuck into a file handle. Been my beater for a long time.

Although lately I have been beating up a folding utility knife quite a bit.
I sharpen the blades as well, although in my case it is so that I can have very sharp blades when needed and less sharp blades profiled a bit differently for really rough work.
My folding utility changes blades quickly, so that's cool.

353 353 Thanks! Great to see a tough knife with a real mission!
And the factory is just north of my favourite hiking area, never knew it was there. Will visit next time I’m in the area. Thanks again!

Yeah, finally found a use for it. 🤣

May I ask where you are from beeing that you hike in Norway?

I wonder what is going through the mind of your cat in the first picture.:)

Haha, yeah he looks sceptical... 🤣

nice to see a real knife(big fixed blade) being used. 😀

Here is mine
N8NpCwk.jpg

Nice blade, what is it? :cool::thumbsup:

I wanted to like mine so badly, but the radii on those handles are just too sharp.

radii?

I spend too much time making a pristine edge on my prized knives just to go willy-nilly cutting reams of cardboard, yards of carpet or hacking through electrical wire. Instead I reach for a "Milwaukee" brand flip open box-cutter/utility knife, or at the very least the SAK in my left pocket.

It's not as satisfying as using my more favored knives for the rough jobs, and I'd have no problem using one if I had no other choice, but I'd rather diminish the knives that are easily replaced.

So what do you use?

Hell yeah, I ended up with a bucket of budget knives to try out different designs or as work knives for specific jobs (washers and handles I don't care about mostly) and they're the ones I tend to use for the random, less clean or more risky cutting chores.

353 353 I am in Finland. My favourite hiking area is Muotkatunturi, so on our side on the border. At the eastern end, Hans serves the best poronkäristys in Lapland. 🦌

353 353 I am in Finland. My favourite hiking area is Muotkatunturi, so on our side on the border. At the eastern end, Hans serves the best poronkäristys in Lapland. 🦌

I assume that is reindeer?

Reindeer meat rocks!!

🤪

Most of the crap jobs that I have around the house are handled by these 4. A standard 1095 Ontario RAT 5 on top with most of the finish long gone but still kicking. A mora which has been resharpened with a V grind to get rid of chips from hitting staples in cardboard among other things. A PM2 with the tip broken off doing something stupid (I got another new one to be an edc) but this does make it a pretty great box cutter. And finally the trusty RAT 1 in original AUS8.

I generally use the knife closest to me when I need one, except for those that I'm collecting. I was given a little non-serrated Victorinox paring knife. I gave it to one of my sisters and asked her to use it and tell me what she thinks. She loves it and talked about buying a full set of kitchen knives with block from them.
But my go to beat-up cutting tool is my Buck 301.

Buck 301-1a.jpg

I have a pack of Moraknivs that get pressed into hack and whack service around the yard: the Companion, Pro, Robust, and Basic. The Heavy Duty Companion, Kansbol, and my Cold Steel Canadian will likely see themselves added to that rotation in due time.

When I first started really getting into knives, one of my early purchases was a PM2 S110V.
I was initially disappointed because the factory edge was chippy and it was a lousy EDC (grippy pocket hog).

Then I put my own edge on it (which took some effort!) and started using it. The harder I used it, the more I liked it!
Now it’s my go-to heavy use knife and it always puts a smile on my face!

When I first started really getting into knives, one of my early purchases was a PM2 S110V.
I was initially disappointed because the factory edge was chippy and it was a lousy EDC (grippy pocket hog).

Then I put my own edge on it (which took some effort!) and started using it. The harder I used it, the more I liked it!
Now it’s my go-to heavy use knife and it always puts a smile on my face!

👍 nice. I’ve had that knife on my wishlist for a long time, I was wondering how do you like the S110V compared to say, S35 or 20CV ?

Back