What's your (latest) grail?

Yah ! See . . . now you're talking. Sorta like my grail right ?
That would be a great user !
Is it rare ? Too rare to use ?
My only Western was a little three blade stockman. Lost it. Still pining for it. Totally cool plain carbon blades. Maybe one day I will find another for sale.
They're one of the least common of the primary fixed blade models, but aren't too hard to find. ( I don't use eBay so it'll take me some hunting to find one )
One thing I don't like as much about the Western fixed blades is that their 1095cv blades seem really resistant to developing a patina from just cutting food ...ect. that being said my knife blade performs really well.

Olamic Swish!

IMG_2083.JPG

There are a few other knives on my WTB list. The Swish is at the top...and unfortunately a bit out of reach (that's what a grail is, right?).

ETA: I think this might push me into finally getting an extra part time job...I'm drooling over the pic I just posted!

Oh oh...this thread has had unintended consequences. I think I have a new grail! Those Swishes are SWEET!

My GOODNESS those are sweet looking! Can you get them like that from Olamic or are those customizations done after the fact?

The Swish is on my "grail" list too, but so are Borka Blades and Serge Panchenkos, GGHawk blades, etc... I didn't even think to include them because they're way out of my range currently.

I1T7ETv.jpg
I could never afford it but this amazing Harkins OTF with beautiful Damascus blade. I like to carry my knives and use them but this one would have to be a safe queen if I was lucky enough to own it. Just too beautiful and the quality of the craftsmanship I'm sure is top knotch.
Blue

I don't think grail means what you think it means. Production knives don't classify as difficult to attain.

definition of grail
  1. 1capitalized : the cup or platter used according to medieval legend by Christ at the Last Supper and thereafter the object of knightly quests

2. 2: the object of an extended or difficult quest

Reactions: Mo2
Believe it or not, some words have *GASP* colloquial definitions!

col·lo·qui·al
kəˈlōkwēəl/
adjective
adjective: colloquial
  1. (of language) used in ordinary or familiar conversation; not formal or literary.
    synonyms: informal, conversational, everyday, nonliterary; More
    unofficial, idiomatic, slangy, vernacular, popular, demotic
    "she just loved the colloquial expressions of her Southern in-laws"

Right now I would say a grimsmo rask. Dont know if one will ever come my way, but that's what makes it a grail.

My 7 favorite knives that I want right now are the Bradford guardian 3 sabre with carbon fiber handles and the stone wash blade,the tops el chete,the benchmade 781 anthem, the g and g hawk mudd knife,the benchmade infidel, the benchmade 551-1 griptillian,and the 940-1.

If I could get any one of those right now, it would be the benchmade anthem, but my "grail" does change about 15 times a day.

For me, a grail knife is one I can't just go out and buy. We all have different price points. A Benchmade Infidel may be a production knife, but it's over $400 new. I simply can't afford it, so I need to wait until I find the right used one and have the cash on hand to act on it, not something that often happens at the same time. I may never get one, but it's the "quest" for one that keeps me going. If that means it has to be a custom for some people, fine. Good for you. I personally will NEVER get a custom because I'll never have $500 or $1000 to throw on a knife, and I'd feel guilty as hell if I did. Mid-techs is about where I have to draw the line. A Gavko Mako is on my list, but realistically? Nah, it'll never happen, so there IS no quest, which is the whole point.

"Grail" is perfectly acceptable for any knife... even the cheapest currently produced production piece can be a grail for someone not financially positioned.

For some folk, a Spyderco PM2 is a grail, as the disposable income available to them never tops out over food and rent. Times we live in.

For me, Phil Boguszewski's titanium handled stiletto. Walked past one at the Eugene Oregon show one year. Had the cash. Never saw another.

I have a lot of knives I really want but the only grail I ever chased after for 10+ years was a sub 3" overbuilt ti frame lock. Lots of makers have come close but none were exactly what I wanted until Hinderer came out with the Half Track. I have made it no secret on here how much I love my Half Tracks. Ever since Blade Show though I have been drooling over the DPX Full Ti Hest Urban. I got to play with the prototype for a good while at Blade Show and just fell in love. Hopefully we are going to see it soon.

The other folder that has become a grail for me is the Chaves 228 Redencion. The more I see and hold them the more I want one!

I1T7ETv.jpg
I could never afford it but this amazing Harkins OTF with beautiful Damascus blade. I like to carry my knives and use them but this one would have to be a safe queen if I was lucky enough to own it. Just too beautiful and the quality of the craftsmanship I'm sure is top knotch.
Blue
I really love bold damascus like that. I mean, traditional damascus is pretty but the bold stuff rocks my socks.

OK,.... THAT'S my new grail! Holy macaroni! I gotta stop looking at this thread....
I was going to make a joke regarding the Halo V, since this one is only $10K, but suggest it's more like Excalibur than the Grail, but it might be just a bit smaller than CharlieMike's butterfly knife.
halo v.jpg

I've been after a Loveless style chute knife for awhile now, maybe a year and a half. Been having a hard time finding someone to make it for me. Damn 2 year waiting lists!:mad:

Reason: It looks so cool!
I just ordered a Loveless style New York Special from T.K Steingas who sells on the Forum. Reasonable price and if you check his work, the quality is there.

Back