What's your latest Schrade? END DATE 8/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started a thread like this in another forum. It's quite popular and now it's up to Volume XVIII. Thus, thought it might work here. A place where you can show case your latest Schrade acquisition.

I'll start off with one that came in this morning's mail.

Schrade-Walden 153UH Golden Spike
XX153UHGoldenSpikeSN01666f.jpg

XX153UHGoldenSpikeSN01666a.jpg

XX153UHGoldenSpikeSN01666b.jpg

XX153UHGoldenSpikeSN01666c.jpg

XX153UHGoldenSpikeSN01666e.jpg

Jackie
Civil_war_generalab-1-1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one thats not even here yet but I cant wait to get it. to be honest Ive never even held or seen one of these in person. The price was probabllly the most Ive ever spent on a knife to date but when you consider the rarity (imho) the price wasnt too bad!! And I hardly ever see these anymore no less one in the box mint. I really prefer the brown box anymore, as Im sure a lot of you guys do too. So I figured I'd scoop it up now and explain to the wife later.- Joel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230291602689&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=013

gradall500,

I'm fairly new in collecting Schrades, especially my main point of interest, Schrade-Walden fixed blades. I sure do like and admire that 14OT. That's the first I've seen.

To me, you got it at a decent price for a rare one. I gave a little less for the S-W 153UH but was ready go big time. Well, maybe not real big.

Looks like we both had a good day.:)

Jackie

153uh in the brown box always a favorite hopefully I will get one someday, with the brown box good find jackie!!!!!!!

gradall5200,

I'm pretty much raw when it comes to Schrades. I know that the 153UHs with the Shrade-Walden tang stamp are hard to find but what's the significance of the Brown Box?

Thank you,

Jackie

Nice finds guys!
Jackie, that's a pretty special 153, I seem to recall only the initial batch got the cellophane sticker on the box, I think it says Golden Spike. Can someone verify my assumption?

Here's my latest, an 863 with peachseed bone handles:

10opoye.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

This Aurum Acid etched Schrade blade below is a Gift to me from Samuel R Shortes the founder of Aurum Etchings, its the very first one made numbered 1 0f 25, it was the original prototype for all the others that followed, the 2nd one Sam sent to Henry Baer. Leroy Remer in USA is currently putting it in the handle.

1stone.jpg

1of252500.jpg

My two Schrade Bowies below, one is a Prototype and other is standard, note differences in scroll etc.

IMG_6475.jpg

Last edited:
Thawk,

They're mighty fine looking knives especially the Scrimshaw. Always thought their etchings were so unique. Nice Stockman, too.

Eric,

I didn't know Schrade-Walden made bone scales. It's a beautiful brown bone with super nice jigging. You have to love the Badge shield. It's similar to the old Case's.

Yes, the cellophane sticker has "Golden Spike" inside what looks to be a railroad spite. Will take a picture of it today.

Timstools,

Love the folding hunters and being special gifts; one of one prototype and one of twenty-five. You can't get no better then that.

You're after my heart with those Colt Bowie's. I have one and never could find who made it until now. Didn't know Schrade produced the knife. Knew that Aurum Etchings did the etching and what deep etching it is. Would you know the dates?

Does your have "AU" stamped on it. I was told two different things about that "AU". First, it stands for Australia. Another and more likely, is it's the symbol for gold because of the gold Colt medallion on the handle.

Which one is the Prototype? The one I have has the etching type and scrolling of the top one. Also noticed that the top one has "BA" and a partial "N" on the building and the bottom one don't.

Thanks for sharing them.

Here's the one I have.

XXColtSamuelColtCommemorativeBowiea.jpg

Jackie

H Jackie
I think the Walden 153 is just amazing !!! well done.

Its the one below in the photo that is the prototype and is later than the one above it, the were a few revisions after production and this one was a further revised version of the original it was also the Production Standard and was the one they used at Aurum to make sure the others had the correct etching. Here is another photo of it below without the handle as it originally came to me.

Jeff Sheppard was the one who did the artwork and another artist did the scrollwork on the other knife.

As to the folding knife above Henry Baer originally ordered only 25 of these knives to give to friends and important people and another 1 was made and kept at Aurum as a non circulated production prototype (the one above).

Ive been an Aurum collector for a while but even i didnt realise until only recently that these Lightning Express Train Schrades were acid etched (engraved) by Aurum Etchings they normally only sell on ebay between $50 and $100 which is an outstanding buy, If it was a Buck Aurum acid etched folding knife it would sell for two or three times that price and this one has much better detail than most Buck Aurums. Im pretty sure the statue of Liberty Schrade knives were also Aurum etched.

As to the AU on your knife I asked Sam about that but he does not know what it means either and said that they did not usually mark them that way, yours is one of the early ones probably some time around 1976 according to an old magazine add I have here. They are a nice Schrade there is really nothing else like them.

CopyofIMG_6159.jpg
I

Last edited:
Timstools,

Thanks, for the information. I agree that they are amazing knives. Just beautiful. During a monthly knife club meeting, a fellow member who knew I collected fixed blades, offered to sell me the Colt Bowie for $200. Figured it was worth that.

I'll take a picture today of that "AU".

Jackie

Here's the picture of the S-W 153 box cellophane sticker and the Colt Bowie "AU" stamp.

a153UHGoldenSpikeSN01666h.jpg

a1976SchradeColtSamuelColtCommemora.jpg

Jackie

Im pretty sure AU is an abbrieviation for Aurum Etchings, 063 would make it an early one.
Regards Tim

Thanks, Tim. You answered a few questions for me. When I got it, I knew nothing about it.

Jackie

Eric: That 863 looks even better than I expected. You got me in the last second on that one. Nice one!

I just got these from a huge whittler collection being sold off. The only two Schrades in over 100 knives!
SchradeWaldenWhittPair.jpg

SchradeWaldenWhittPairBacks.jpg

waynorth,

Them are dandies. Man, I like the looks of them. I'm assuming that they are a couple more of those brown jigged bones with the badge shield like the one Eric posted. They look to be in mint condition, too.

Can you give a brief history on them, dates, series, etc.

Jackie

waynorth,

Them are dandies. Man, I like the looks of them. I'm assuming that they are a couple more of those brown jigged bones with the badge shield like the one Eric posted. They look to be in mint condition, too.

Can you give a brief history on them, dates, series, etc.

Jackie

Well Jackie, the pattern number of the bigger one is 804, and the smaller is 837.
Of course they were made after Baer bought Schrade and changed the Tang marking from Schrade Cut. Co. to Schrade Walden, ca. 1943. My guess is these were made before Delrin took over as the common handle material. Now Eric or Codger can maybe help us with that end of the time frame?? 1950s or 1960s??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back