What's your latest Schrade? END DATE 8/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ! Is "winewood" an actual type of tree ? or so named because it is wine colored laminated wood bits ?
None-the-less, it is very attractive in person.
roland

Stratawood came from the Strata tree and wondawood came from the wonda tree. I don't think winewood was laminated wood bits. I think it was dyed and pressure treated with plastic resins. For some time, Paka was their wood supplier (yes, there really was a Paka company). I think they also used a few other companies doing the same type resin treatment of wood. Eric surely has more accurate and in depth info on this.

So the impregnated wood sheets would arrive at the factory and then be cut by Schrade employees to size & shape for the handles ? Or maybe arrived alreay in "handle size" pieces ?
Too bad a film was never made showing the workers at each step along the way to the finished knife. Sort of 1960's government type project "America will always be strong with skilled craftsmen like at Schrade-Walden !"
Our National Film Board here in Canada made lots of 'educational' movies like that way back when i was in school.
roland

Schrade made some movies. I believe Larry has digitized several on the COSRUS site.

I am under the impression that the scales arrived shaped and cut, ready to install and glaze. They may have had to trim them to length though, Again, ask Eric.

The light is odd today and the reflection washes out the detail, but these handles are truly fine.
The seller called the wood "Concolvo Alvez Hardwood" ? Do you know what this is ?
Hi Roland, If you look into it you will find that "Concolvo Alves" <---spelling? was a very popular wood for S&W to put on their premium revolvers with what they called target stocks.
Nice looking knife BTW. :)
-Bruce

so you are the one that got it from me. glad it went to one of us. this is really close to the lowest number i think?

Here is my most recent LB7. No box/sheath/papers but in pristine condition. Whaaat, just 'nother ol' LB7 ?

Jan2012007-13.jpg

Jan2012006-21.jpg

This LB7:

Jan2012008-17.jpg

So likely from the first quarter of the first year(1977) of LB7 production.

Delmas. "so you are the one that got it from me". Did I ? Ebay seller does not give his USA location and i've discarded the packaging. In the listing the seller did not mention this to be an early LB7 and in correspondance did not seem to know the signifance of such a low 4 digit number.
He signed his messages to me as "JA" and "John". Izzat u ?
roland

Michael, i recall reading a post in this forum that the first 200 LB7's had special packaging and were not sent out to dealers to sell ? or something like that. Your #0326 is very very early. Certainly within the first month of production.
I will continue to look for these very early LB7's. I'm very pleased with #4533 because of it's near mint condition.
roland

no i was bidding on it. i am not sure i could let go of any of my LB 7's at the moment. wanted one with a lower number than i had. that is what i meant.

Delmas. "so you are the one that got it from me". Did I ? Ebay seller does not give his USA location and i've discarded the packaging. In the listing the seller did not mention this to be an early LB7 and in correspondance did not seem to know the signifance of such a low 4 digit number.
He signed his messages to me as "JA" and "John". Izzat u ?
roland

Here is another of my favorite pattern 225OT. It has wood handles but is not marked "LTD" or any other special designation. It came from a couple well known to us Schrade collectors whose knives were acquired long before the 2004 closure so it's not an end of days assembly.

Jan2012011-15.jpg

Here is an older FB marked "Craftsman", 10 3/4" OAL and with a 5 3/4" blade. Schrade made most if not all of the Craftsman fixed blades. Do you know what the Schrade pattern # is for this one ?

Jan2012012-11.jpg

And here is the Craftsman marked 171 with the "Elephant hide embossed leather sheath". The Craftsman collector i bought it from thinks it may be one of the "American Eagle" series knives. I showed 4 of these American Eagle series knives in another thread, but there has been some discussion as to whether or not there were 6 knives in this series. If so, this Craftsman 171 pattern knife might be one of the 6 Schrade patterns.
I'm hoping Codger might comment about this.

Jan2012013-11.jpg

Jan2012014-13.jpg

roland

The second time Sears used the "American Eagle Collection" name was for a group of 3 "Bowie type" knives. They came with an "elephant hide embossed leather sheath".
The 171 is one of these patterns. The 165 has also been posted with this distinctive sheath, but is it part of this group of 3 "Bowie type" knives ?
Here are 2 more Staglon handled Craftsman FB's with the special sheath, a "Custom Skinner" and a "Hunters' Choice".

Jan2012001-26.jpg

Jan2012002-25.jpg

The "Custom Skinner" is 9 1/4" OAL with a 5" blade:

Jan2012003-22.jpg

The "Hunters' Choice" is 8 3/4" OAL with a 4 1/2" blade:

Jan2012004-23.jpg

So, are these the 3 "Bowie type" knives of the second Sears "American Eagle Collection" ?
And what are the Schrade pattern numbers for the "Custom Skinner" and the "Hunters' Choice" ?
See Codger's link above for a picture of the insert with the 171 American Eagle Collection that states "three Bowie type" knives.
roland

Last edited:
The Custom Skinner is a 153UH Golden Spike. The Hunter's Choice is a 497S from the 49er series. I think you probably already know about the big bowie knife in the Sears line that is the same as the Schrade (166?). That really big knife came 3 ways, Schrade, Sears, and Buffalo Bill with wooden handle. The first two versions look just like the rather uncommon bird and trout knife called the (147?)OT, but much larger. That little one had stainless blade and was sold as Schrade and Sears. Very few Schrade Walden fixed blades did NOT have an analogue in the Sears line. Maybe the 172? I don't remember.

I like the camillus model 72 " Carpenter Whittler"
This schrade reminds me of it
Model 863

7.jpg

Last edited:
The Custom Skinner is a 153UH Golden Spike. The Hunter's Choice is a 497S from the 49er series. I think you probably already know about the big bowie knife in the Sears line that is the same as the Schrade (166?). That really big knife came 3 ways, Schrade, Sears, and Buffalo Bill with wooden handle. The first two versions look just like the rather uncommon bird and trout knife called the (147?)OT, but much larger. That little one had stainless blade and was sold as Schrade and Sears. Very few Schrade Walden fixed blades did NOT have an analogue in the Sears line. Maybe the 172? I don't remember.

TR , Do you mean the big bowie came in 3 different configuations ? I know of 2 , the Craftsman 21627 and the Schrade-Walden BB166 , is there another variation out there ?

TR , Do you mean the big bowie came in 3 different configuations ? I know of 2 , the Craftsman 21627 and the Schrade-Walden BB166 , is there another variation out there ?

Hmmm... I could have sworn I had a knife with a Schrade Walden tang stamp that was identical (otherwise) to the Craftsman version, but after digging through boxes, I can't find it. Perhaps it was all a dream... I do have the BB166. These are really nice knives, btw, but somewhat out of place at the Sunday Holiday Inn buffet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back