What's your latest Schrade? START DATE 3/18

Codger's post is the penultimate perfect post to the post from the Gentleman with the new clampack. Yes; I personally would just get a user for the pocket and keep the clam pack intact. May I ask where you live?

Thank you, tongueriver, for your interest in the post. Unfortunately, as I explained to Codger_64, I have already opened it, urged by the desire to feel the knife. As to your question, I live in Argentina, which explains the difficulty to get good traditional American knives.

Nice find View attachment 1520551 View attachment 1520551
Welcome to the Forum View attachment 1520552
Your English is excellent.
If you think you will ever want to sell it, then don't open it.
If it gives you pleasure to own something rare, pristine and new in the package, don't open it.
If you think that if you open it, you will fidget with it, maybe carry it a couple of times and then it will sit in a drawer (or wherever) and not be used, then don't open it.
If you want to carry and use it, open it.
If your going to stress over it too much, open it and solve the problem :)
Its not an uber rare collector piece, at least not here in the USA. Being in the USA, I'd probably do what others are recommending and get another, already opened one, to use. May not be the case where you're at.
Bottom line: Do what will give you the most satisfaction and don't worry about it after the decision is made. If you don't open it now, and it bugs you, you can always change your mind and open it later. Once its opened, its done.

Than you, Mike, for your welcome. I enjoyed a few minutes reading all the options you laid out to me. I really liked "Do what will give you the most satisfaction and don't worry about it after the decision is made". Quite philosophical and applicable to other facts of life as well.

Last edited:
Promises should be kept. Enter the pics.

wytkbT.jpg

t74y9a.jpg

Hi Gonzalo from Australia, Welcome to the Schrade Forum.

Opening the Clam Pack was the best option, you now have a good knife to use.
Schrade made two later models, the 55OTG and the 53OTG.
The smaller of the two, the 53OTG is the hardest one to find... Ken.

Last edited:
These are my last two ( vintage USA) Old Timers. Both were gifted to me by very generous members who wish to remain anonymous
An Circa 1978 to 1984 'Schrade +' 858 (no "OT" in tang stamp) "Lumberjack" stockman.
Circa 1979 to 1980 4 pin 7OT with a 1094 blade.
Original sheath has a folded over belt loop, if that helps narrow the date.
View attachment 1527916

Last edited:
These are my last two ( vintage USA) Old Timers. Both were gifted to me by very generous members who wish to remain anonymous
An Circa 1978 to 1984 'Schrade +' 858 (no "OT" in tang stamp) "Lumberjack" stockman.
Circa 1978 to 1986 4 pin 7OT with a 1094 blade.
View attachment 1527916

great knives!!!

on that 7ot, I've read a post on here that explains the dates of the 4 pin vs 3 pin and 1095 steel, etc. I think the 4 pin knives were pretty early. I have one as well and love it. You could probably find that thread with a search for 7ot 4 pin or something.

Received this 6OT today. Appears to be unused which is good, but it's definitely less substatial than my old 7OT or LB8. Weight of the 7OT is 8.2oz, LB8 is 8.1oz, and the 6OT is only 6.2oz. That's only 75% the weight of the 7OT. Also the fit and finish on the 6OT seems much poorer than the 7OT which is likely more of a function of when it was made than some inherent quality of that model number.

Here is a lineup with 6OT on top, 7OT on bottom.

Circa 1978 to 1986 4 pin 7OT with a 1094 blade.
View attachment 1527916
the 7 OT was made in 1979 to 80 then dropped until 91. the 79 to 80 were 4 pin carbon and in 91 it was 4 pin carbon then went to 3 pin carbon.

the 7 OT was made in 1979 to 80 then dropped until 91. the 79 to 80 were 4 pin carbon and in 91 it was 4 pin carbon then went to 3 pin carbon.
they had 7OT and 6OT Schrade + between 1980 and 1991. I have a Schrade+ 7OT I bought around 1988 or 1989 if memory is operational today. I'm pretty sure I bought it just before or just after my ex got rid of me.

Ex gone, and you got a new knife! That sounds like a good swap... Ken

Last edited:
Back