What's your latest Schrade? START DATE 3/18

Cut Co #C2154K jack in butter & molasses celluloid, 3⅜" closed. Is there any way to date this more accurately than 1926-1946?

I don't collect the butter and molasses knives myself but I gotta say that is a really nice example. As for dating it, I don't know how to narrow the window but I can help you open it up a little - what makes you think 1926 was the first year of production?

1926 is the oldest catalog I've seen it in. I guess it could be older, not sure.
From the look of it, I would think late '30s, but it is purely subjective.

1926 is the oldest catalog I've seen it in. I guess it could be older, not sure.
From the look of it, I would think late '30s, but it is purely subjective.

Since the 1926 catalog is the oldest catalog available, all of the patterns in it have the potential of going back another 2 decades. There are plenty of patterns in that catalog that you will find out there with arched tang stamps that date from 1904-1917 or so. I don't think there's any way to use a paper trail to tighten the date on that knife to less than 4 decades - 3 decades if you go by the straight tang stamp. Maybe there's clues in the materials, like when did butter and molasses cell start being used? Not sure. At any rate, great looking knife - congrats on adding it to your collection.

To work off that conversation, I would like to know:
1. What is the source of the arched stamp provenance being 1904 to 1917 (or so). I have seen this all along but I don't know on what level it is accurate or who gave us that information.
2. When WWII began and continued, what was the level and kind of production from Schrade CutCo? A trickle to consumers? More? Any government contracts besides possibly TL-29s?
3. From the end of the war until the Baers bought them out in December of 1946 (and that's another question) what was their production (same sub-questions as in #2)?
4. Tag... you're it.

To work off that conversation, I would like to know:
1. What is the source of the arched stamp provenance being 1904 to 1917 (or so). I have seen this all along but I don't know on what level it is accurate or who gave us that information.
2. When WWII began and continued, what was the level and kind of production from Schrade CutCo? A trickle to consumers? More? Any government contracts besides possibly TL-29s?
3. From the end of the war until the Baers bought them out in December of 1946 (and that's another question) what was their production (same sub-questions as in #2)?
4. Tag... you're it.

Great post! I'm curious if anyone tackles questions 2 & 3. The answer to the first question I believe is from an article in Knife World, June 2004. An article called 'Schrade - 100 Years of Markings' by B.K. Brooks. I think the chart we all rely on was a graphic created for that article. I just called Knife World and asked them if they had that issue available for sale. They're checking and will call me back but the woman I spoke to did mention that by next month their new website should be ready to launch and it will include digital access to all back issues. I'm assuming the article will flesh out the source for the chart's info.

Just to make it all a little fuzzier, remember that Catalog E actually has a couple of knife images with an arch stamp. I know they weren't known for accurate catalogs but that's a 9 year spread from when it's believed the arch was flattened until that catalog was released.

I picked up this 34OT from the mail today. I have half a dozen already but this is the first one with a Schrade Walden tang stamp on it.
E5-C43-A3-B-5-CAA-4-D12-AC3-F-74-B7-AA50-E193.jpg

What is the source of the arched stamp provenance being 1904 to 1917 (or so). I have seen this all along but I don't know on what level it is accurate or who gave us that information.

The answer to the first question I believe is from an article in Knife World, June 2004. An article called 'Schrade - 100 Years of Markings' by B.K. Brooks. I think the chart we all rely on was a graphic created for that article. I just called Knife World and asked them if they had that issue available for sale. They're checking and will call me back but the woman I spoke to did mention that by next month their new website should be ready to launch and it will include digital access to all back issues. I'm assuming the article will flesh out the source for the chart's info.

They had the issue available and I received it today. I had time to read it but I need to head back out to work. I'll copy it and start a new thread with it later on or tomorrow. It is the source of the tang stamp chart but it's not what I was expecting. The author doesn't seem completely confident in the info himself and much of the detail is offered under the blanket disclosure of 'according to sources' type stuff.

Even John and Charlotte Goins, renowned authors of tang marking books, could only go by the best information available to them at the time of publication. There are many errors, but their books are still important works and sources for collectors. Same for Bernard Levine's books.

From 1975 until 1992 Frank Giorgianni created a plethora of quality art displayed on many, many thousands of knives. I very much enjoy the artwork he did for Schrade and have always wanted a piece he personally scrimmed to add to my collection. I think that just happened.

Enter this knife. A Schrade I*XL M40 "The Moore Handley Centennial Commemorative". This example looked nice and complete and you don't see them too often at only 250 made. Mine is #56.

Here's Schrade' description:
"Recognizing Moore Handley Hardware of Birmingham, Alabama for 100 years of excellent service to the Hardware trade. This Schrade I*XL lockback shows the centennial ribbon on the front and the old horsedrawn wagon on the back. 250 of these serialized, hallmarked knives were produced."

I like how Frank Giorgianni often weaves his name into his works of art. It totally adds to the piece and is stategic in it's placement. Q? Are those tire ruts or a name? A. Both.

These are the sellers pics. I will likely make a new thread with some better photos when I get the chance.

mquB0sA.jpg

on7G7X2.jpg

FoO1AnM.jpg

1dOKmZi.jpg

Last edited:
That is a nice knife, with the Georgiani hotstamp 'scrim.' Made me think of this one by another artist, Bill Feeney. I am assuming since it was on genuine pearl, the scrim was actually done by hand. The engraving is hand-done. For a hardware company in Memphis. Many more pics, including the bling and documents, but this will do for now. I may actually have posted this before. A chip of (Delrin? hmm...) was also part of the package.

Look a bit closer; the Moore-Handley is real-deal hand-done scrimshaw on micarta done and signed by F. Giorgianni himself. No hot stamp on that one.

Your "Schrade I*XL Orgill Brothers Commemorative" knife is from the exact same year and collection: "Collectors Corner" 1982 Schrade almanac, page 7. There were 350 made. It is indeed hand scrimmed by Bill Feeney as is the plaque. He did the "Heralds Of The Sea" sets too. I used to have an Orgill myself but had to sell it in dire times. I kept my plaque. That's some genuine ivory right there not delrin which is why I kept it.

Full descriptions of both knives (and the plaque): http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/Almanac/1982-almanacs.pdf

My plaque. Note the grain in the ivory:
KIa8aoU.jpg

Thank you, bladecollectorr, for the corrections and also the hotlink for more information. I happen to know where there is another Orgill available.

These are my latest two, the gettin's have been sparse but very good.

Very good indeed. Thanks for posting.

Here's one on the way to me now. Not as beautiful as the last few that have been posted but cool in its own way. LB1 - SFO for L.L. Bean. The Cub is very hard to find in a USA brass version. I'm sure this one will clean up well.
D75Buvk.jpg

VlCUDaw.jpg

Zm8POBp.jpg

rX5PgeK.jpg

9AqaVFx.jpg

I believe they also made an LB-1 with brass bolsters for Harley Davidson. I am away from my Schrade Room but will look when I get back home at the end of the week

Tom

Back