What's your latest Schrade? START DATE 3/18

Picket up a 770OT and a 8OT last week off the bay. The stockman had the part number part on the main blade ground off (factory blem?). Picked up both for less than $15 including shipping.

Before
LzuOK7L.jpg

After Cleaning
iyA2BVz.jpg

rrJ6OW0.jpg

ebay pushed me over the edge with a paltry $5.00 coupon and I grabbed a knife that had been available for a while. It's appears to be a F7426 as listed in the 1926 catalog on page 34. I really can't get enough of the old MOP Cut Co knives and I think this one will polish up nicely. Patina doesn't bother me the way handle cracks or blade loss does. I think it adds character.
z5qe6yX.jpg

r66jv4e.jpg

IJSRDJE.jpg

8YOGJ4w.jpg

7ZkRk7L.jpg

TvOoHpS.jpg

i agree as long as the handle is in good shape and the blade is shaped properly what is a bit of patina between friends.

Thanks for the reply delmas. Yesterday I scored a sweet deal. $90.00 for a 3-knife Schrade lot. I've seen the 85th Anniversary whittler with full bling go for more than $100 all by itself. The "Flying Cloud" looks super-complete in it's original shipping carton.

68wsJA6.jpg

aTmBoP1.jpg

Jb9QFXi.jpg

JYFXytL.jpg

RGKdzQj.jpg

tfU4nSa.jpg

rjkJcup.jpg

Here's the 1985 Sears Christmas Wishbook listing for the Flying Cloud knife.
QytgUJd.jpg

Last edited:
So quick question. It seems that I saw somewhere in another thread what caused the line on some Schrade blades. It can be seen on the Uncle Henry in sXePhenomenal's post. I believe I remember reading it was belt buffing. Does anyone know and was that only done during a specific time frame?

Also my newest Schrade is a mint 6OT. But unfortunately it didn't have a sheath. Can't win them all. Really nice knife. And the collection grows again.

I don’t know how they did “the famous zero edge” is what they refer to it as it pamphlets. Also not sure if it makes it thinner behind the edge I suspect it does to some degree rather than just a flat grind. I think it stopped sometime during the switch to the Schrade+ stamp
So quick question. It seems that I saw somewhere in another thread what caused the line on some Schrade blades. It can be seen on the Uncle Henry in sXePhenomenal's post. I believe I remember reading it was belt buffing. Does anyone know and was that only done during a specific time frame?

Also my newest Schrade is a mint 6OT. But unfortunately it didn't have a sheath. Can't win them all. Really nice knife. And the collection grows again.

Is this the thread you were thinking of? https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ctually-a-different-edge-or-just-hype.966123/

To quote ea42:

"The A.C.A edge was accomplished with a very coarse belt grind at a fairly low angle, followed by high speed buffing on a cloth wheel. The micro serrations caused by the belt coupled with the stropping action of the buff made for a very sharp blade."

"(The ACA is) a fairly rough grind, I think it was done on around an 80 grit belt. That'd eat into a smaller blade ( I mean pocket knife size) in no time flat, plus you had to really lean into the buff to polish the edge, which would also ruin a smaller blade, and likely losen the pivot to boot.. Nowadays the small knives are done in much the same way, but with a much finer grit and paper wheels for the buff."

Yes that's the post I had found. Thank you all. I don't think I have ever heard or remember seeing it called zero edge. I have now book marked that thread. The time I have spent trying to find it again is just crazy. I didn't remember it even called the A.C.A. Edge.

One other thing. When do you think they went to the SCHRADE+ stamp? I know my early LB7's have that and then in the late 1980's it went to the Uncle Henry over Schrade+. So are you referring to the 1970's to mid or late 1980's?

So how does modern Schrade rate. It was the most common brand of my youth, it was one of the three core brands everyone carried.

It's comes in as one of the cheapest brands now in the shops. I was too embarrassed to buy one cos I thought the blade snobs here would laugh.

When do you think they went to the SCHRADE+ stamp? I know my early LB7's have that and then in the late 1980's it went to the Uncle Henry over Schrade+. So are you referring to the 1970's to mid or late 1980's?

"Amazing Cutting Action"!

"Schrade+" was used to indicate stainless steel. Just "Schrade" for 1095 carbon. Implication being it was a secret-special-Schrade-steel of unsurpassed qualities. Reality being it meant Schrade could change the steel used in making their stainless knives at will and not have to tell customers or change stamps. It was 440C, 440A and 420HC over the years iirc

So how does modern Schrade rate. It was the most common brand of my youth, it was one of the three core brands everyone carried.

It's comes in as one of the cheapest brands now in the shops. I was too embarrassed to buy one cos I thought the blade snobs here would laugh.

...and you were right! The Schrade that all of us here collect was made by the New York State based company that manufactured knives from 1904 until 2004.

Current stuff is very cheaply made in comparison to originals.

6919DD53-277C-477E-8415-2874C3FB2E62.jpeg Dug out one of these old things. I have a LB7 number 400k 4pin still with that grind. So mid late 80s I’d guess
Yes that's the post I had found. Thank you all. I don't think I have ever heard or remember seeing it called zero edge. I have now book marked that thread. The time I have spent trying to find it again is just crazy. I didn't remember it even called the A.C.A. Edge.

One other thing. When do you think they went to the SCHRADE+ stamp? I know my early LB7's have that and then in the late 1980's it went to the Uncle Henry over Schrade+. So are you referring to the 1970's to mid or late 1980's?

Thanks. There seems to always be something new to learn. Was that paper in one of your knife boxes or a magazine ad? Maybe I should get out some of my boxes and read the paperwork again.

And i should note that I found a gently used Schrade 156OT today in a pawn shop. With original sheath. Looks like it may have been sharpened possibly one time. Slight patina and sheath is in great shape. Couldn't believe it so had to take her home with me. You all know that feeling. My wife just doesn't understand sometimes. So I don't tell her every time I find a new one. But at $18 I don't think they knew what they had. Like I said Schrade knives are often overlooked for what ever reason. But I don't complain. Just get out the wallet and smile as I walk out the door.

A.C.A. Edge and Folding Hunter

This SW 897 is the earliest knife I have with the very visible belt finished bevel. It's an Axxxx serial number, so around 1969-'70 by my best guess.
Nr4ewOa.jpg

This 885 is from 1978 and is my latest knife that still has the belt finish.
jg50YX0.jpg

I also just received this mint in box 227UH-- a very pretty handful!
VmmEt7g.jpg

I love that 227UH. And it is a handful but feels really good I must admit. I stumbled into one of them at a Flea Market about a month ago. Not sure when it would have been made but it is numbered A33108. That is if my eyes are seeing it correctly. Didn't even realize it was numbered till last week.

That's when I got a nice near mint 885UH with the A.C.A. Edge. This one is numbered G2565. And the guy sold it to me for $18. Still in shock. He wanted $20 and I handed him $20. Then he handed me change and said thanks for not trying to talk me down any on it. I thought $20 was really low for it to begin with so wasn't even thinking about trying to get the price down anymore. could have knocked me over with a feather.

Back