What's your latest Schrade? START DATE 8/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received this Uncle Henry 885. It has the 2-line tang stamp and some unusual buffing on both sides of all three blades. I wondered if the buffing would help date this more accurately than just '73-'04. It reminds me of some of the ACA blades from the late '70s, but have no idea if that's when it was made. Unfortunately no box with this one to help. There are also some vertical striations at the tip of the spey blade on both sides, that looks like they started to make a file out of it. :confused: Seller stated this knife as unused and unsharpened, mint. The bolsters aren't mint, but the rest of it pretty well is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

25f9767a-76c8-4ebc-9780-3ade0fb1d09a_zpsuucpovg1.jpg~original

5debbf0e-425f-445c-bdd2-47e42791e70c_zpsltzdz1qi.jpg~original

Jeff, there was a period of time, I think possibly during the late eighties but I'm not sure, when they tried finishing the edges on the high speed buffs. This is what causes that polished edge. The blade was held on an angle into the buff so just the edge was in hard contact with the wheel. Of course you'd also get some polish a bit further back. It was around the time period of the A.C.A. edges too. They experimented a lot back then, but this particular method didn't last long due to it being incredibly dangerous, as you can imagine. Is there a serial number inside the liner?

Eric

Jeff, they used an alphanumeric serialization. So the first 10,000 were marked thus. Then another 10,000 starting with an "A" prefix. Then... you can see where this is going. Eric can maybe tell where the "S" run lay temporally; I don't know.

I did some searching of the web and found some who said they discontinued the serial numbering in 1979. Does that sound right? If so, then my knife is probably mid to late '70s.

I did some searching of the web and found some who said they discontinued the serial numbering in 1979. Does that sound right? If so, then my knife is probably mid to late '70s.
Dale Vincent has them dated from 1973.
My earletest 885UH, has a 3 line tang stamp, no+ after Schrade, a very long nail-pull, jimping on back liners and numbered #69033.
Bottem lower corner is an 886UH, made by Camillus. All the 886UH I have came in brown boxes.
medium

Last edited:
Sorry guys I meant to say late seventies for that buffed edge, not eighties, although thinking back I think the A.C.A edges were started in the mid seventies, so these could go back that far as well. I have no idea how long that buffed method was used on the smaller knives though, probably a number of years. Eventually they went to a paper wheel finish but I have no idea when these things were started and ended.

Ken your two top boxed knives appear to have that buffed edge, maybe even the bottom right. I always thought the blue felt was for Old Timers, shows how much I don't know about these UH's lol.

Eric

..."

Ken your two top boxed knives appear to have that buffed edge, maybe even the bottom right. I always thought the blue felt was for Old Timers, shows how much I don't know about these UH's lol."

Eric
Eric, The bottom right is #69033 with the very long nail-pull.

Picked up a MAC LB7 SN AA77855 off the bay. Here is the before and after pictures. It has never been used but must have been stored in a place it didn't like. Always good to see the after pictures.

I just got a grand dad black delrin handle with brass bolsters and worked back springs slip joint this week. I believe it is the 8ot pattern (could someone tell me if I'm right). I was the only bidder and got for $26.00 in the box with papers. I also got another Deer Slayer in good condition as a user, didn't want to use the early one I have in the box with papers and with the laced sheath.

The 4" knife [8OT] came in a little display with see through top.
It also came with a One million dollar bill.
They also came in a set of 4 knives. 8OT, 34OT, Barlow and Sharp-finger.
medium

Last edited:
I thought it was an 8ot with a differ stamp Koldgold. It is very nice with nice working on the back springs. It is almost too nice to carry. Mmm another no carry. The 8ot in it's varies incarnations is my favorite pocket knife.

Not long ago I got this BNIB 34OT here on the exchange. I have in my notes it's from 1985. If anyone can confirm or update that info, I'd be grateful. It's absolutely mint in every respect, including the packaging.

1ad9ddd6-497c-4865-9958-97979140f1c9_zpsjpksrlgy.jpg~original

Not long ago I got this BNIB 34OT here on the exchange. I have in my notes it's from 1985. If anyone can confirm or update that info, I'd be grateful. It's absolutely mint in every respect, including the packaging.
I would say 1983-1986 .

1982-85.

Last edited:
did the MAC always appear on the other side from the nail nick? seems to me most etchings are found on the nail nick side but i am probably wrong. most of the etchings i have are on that side. anyone else have a MAC knife? where is the etching. (oh my i am definitely not asking to see anyone's etchings)

Picked up a MAC LB7 SN AA77855 off the bay. Here is the before and after pictures. It has never been used but must have been stored in a place it didn't like. Always good to see the after pictures.

I have other LB7's and LB5's with MAC on them so I will check. LB5 on the nail nick side and a shield with "Make Mine MAC".

did the MAC always appear on the other side from the nail nick? seems to me most etchings are found on the nail nick side but i am probably wrong. most of the etchings i have are on that side. anyone else have a MAC knife? where is the etching. (oh my i am definitely not asking to see anyone's etchings)
All of my knives are etched on the nick side [pile?]
medium

medium

I do not have a knife, with the etch on the back side of the blade... Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back