What's your newest Buck knife

Joe Houser knives came in today.
WZjFJxo.jpg

I just got this 2016 102 that I bought on Ebay, no box but it definitely wasn't carried.

I was going to do a rehandle on my other 102 but decided to just give that one to my dad, the idea of a rehandle entices me but the 102 is great as is and I can't bring myself to risk messing it up.

I'm really excited to have this exceptional 112 in hand! I assumed by the one picture I seen that it was a 450 blade but it turned out to be much more than that. It's actually a S30V 'Custom' tang stamp that I'm certain was one of the modified 500 Custom blades Chuck and Leroy worked on in the early 90's to fit in the 112. It also has terrific matching Stag and the blade was mirror polished as much as S30V can be. It has every feature I love in a 112 right down to finger grooves and my favorite leather shieth lol! This is the only mirror polished DP S30V blade that I can remember seeing..20210408_162330.jpg20210408_162141.jpg20210408_162217.jpg20210408_162223.jpg20210408_110329.jpg

It was one of Ken's knives..And he truly loved Stag. Ever since he passed on in 2015 I wanted one of his knives to display. Him and Vickie really welcomed me to the BCCI way back in 2008 2009 when I first displayed my 112's. I was set up next to him in those early days and he would point out who was who in the club..with hilarious commentary lol! He didn't have many 112's but I agree this one is exceptional..both the Stag and such a rare blade.

I'm really excited to have this exceptional 112 in hand! I assumed by the one picture I seen that it was a 450 blade but it turned out to be much more than that. It's actually a S30V 'Custom' tang stamp that I'm certain was one of the modified 500 Custom blades Chuck and Leroy worked on in the early 90's to fit in the 112. It also has terrific matching Stag and the blade was mirror polished as much as S30V can be. It has every feature I love in a 112 right down to finger grooves and my favorite leather shieth lol! This is the only mirror polished DP S30V blade that I can remember seeing..View attachment 1542378View attachment 1542381View attachment 1542384View attachment 1542385View attachment 1542388
Stamped on one side and lazer etched on the other? Does that help date the knife?

Stamped on one side and lazer etched on the other? Does that help date the knife?
That and had s30v ever been used on a 500?
Weird that the Buck stamp is script and spaced out more than I've recalled seeing on a 500.

Buck oddities like this blade sometimes doesn't follow any normal 'rules' for Bucks models. No doubt it's a 'factory' blade but for something that was not a catalog knife Leroy or Chuck for that matter modified what was close to what they wanted to end up with. I was really surprised when I had it in hand and seen it was S30V. Few 112's of any kind were made with it.
It also looks more like a stamp than a etch to me but in no way can I say for sure. The subject doesn't come up with 112's often. When Joe had the BG42 112 blades made he wanted them stamped like the 110's but due to a miscommunication the blades would have to be heat treated again to be stamped so they received a etch. I've never seen this exact blade before 20210409_134502.jpg

Yes. looks stamped. Is it possible its a modified 500 blade?

Drop point 112's has always intrigued me from the start of my collecting them back in 2007. For the first 2 or 3 years I was surprised how few actually was out there. Especially compared to 110's. Even more so the lack of super steel 112's. That led me to occasionally refer to the 112 as the 'Redheaded Stepchild' of Buck folders..
All that changed slowly starting around 2013. We started seeing more drop points and upgraded steels, a brief window in the Custom shop and finally around 2014 the 112 came to stay in Bucks Custom shop. But to this day you still cannot order a drop point. I really loved some of the SFO's especially the Lil'jack in D2. One of these special modified 500 112's popped up here about 2 years ago and was talked about but I don't remember if it was in S30V..

Just received my 408 Kalinga Pro S30v.
I've always wanted one, but seemed to have other things in the works when they were available.
So this time I made sure to grab one.

It's a beautiful knife!!! Feels good in your hand, and balances just behind that gorgeous brass guard..... And that impressive sweeping blade, and wood handle..... It's everything you want in a Kalinga.:D:D:D:D

Almost.

-The back side of the rivet for the strap scratches the brass guard when putting the knife in the sheath. I guess I could deal with that. Maybe glue a protective leather there....... but hey, why didn't it come that way?
-And the guard is loose. You can actually move it. It rattles when you move the knife. Not cool. I could keep it, but then in the future if I decide to move it, I'd have to reveal it's got issues.

Yeah I know Buck will fix it.:)
But the combined hassle of paying to ship it back, waiting.......how long......
I'd return it, but last time I did that it took over 6 weeks for them to refund my money, and that was after contacting Kevin and he made sure it happened.:(

Sigh.

I dunno, frustrated I guess.:confused:
The thought of sending something away that's so pretty, right after you finally get it, is not an appealing one.

:(:(:mad::(:(
View attachment 1543402 View attachment 1543403

Last edited:
When it's a new knife, I call and ask for a return shipping label. I think I've always got one.
Yeah?
That's a good idea. Thanks!
I sorta hate to talk negative about the knife, as it's a sweet knife, and the price is great considering the blade steel and Buck's forever warranty.

I guess when we buy knives as often as we do, it's eventually gonna happen that we get a knife that doesn't meet out expectations.

There's worse things in life, that's for sure.

Thanks pjsjr pjsjr ! I'll just send it back.
Sorry folks for my complaining, I guess I had to vent........

Just received my 408 Kalinga Pro S30v.
I've always wanted one, but seemed to have other things in the works when they were available.
So this time I made sure to grab one.

It's a beautiful knife!!! Feels good in your hand, and balances just behind that gorgeous brass guard..... And that impressive sweeping blade, and wood handle..... It's everything you want in a Kalinga.:D:D:D:D

Almost.

-The back side of the rivet for the strap scratches the brass guard when putting the knife in the sheath. I guess I could deal with that. Maybe glue a protective leather there....... but hey, why didn't it come that way?
-And the guard is loose. You can actually move it. It rattles when you move the knife. Not cool. I could keep it, but then in the future if I decide to move it, I'd have to reveal it's got issues.

Yeah I know Buck will fix it.:)
But the combined hassle of paying to ship it back, waiting.......how long......
I'd return it, but last time I did that it took over 6 weeks for them to refund my money, and that was after contacting Kevin and he made sure it happened.:(

Sigh.

I dunno, frustrated I guess.:confused:
The thought of sending something away that's so pretty, right after you finally get it, is not an appealing one.

:(:(:mad::(:(
View attachment 1543402 View attachment 1543403
Wow, really good looking knife. Too bad about the guard, but I'm sure it will be worth sending in for a perfect example.

Back