What's Your "Type"?

Fixall

Brian
Dealer / Materials Provider
I used to tell myself that I would never keep two of the same model knives in my permanent collection. That all changed when the Delica HAP40 Wharncliffe sprint came out. That knife checked all the boxes as a work knife for me! Incredible ergonomics, check. Wharncliffe blade that is easy to access with gloves, check. Scales in an easy to find color, check. Phenomenal steel, check. Stainless steel clip, check... The list goes on.

So OF COURSE, I had to buy two of them! I mean it's a sprint run... What happens if I lose or damage mine and can't find a replacement on the secondary market? Can't have that!

After awhile the HAP40 Wharncliffe Delica became my favorite knife of all time and I started carrying it even while I wasn't working... So why not pick one up with a more premium handle and easier to take care of steel?! Enter the S30V Cutlery Shoppe exclusive with Suingab G10 handles!

After installing the Suingab scales, I couldn't just let those gorgeous Safety Orange Cutlery Shoppe scales go to waste... So I obviously had to pick up a standard VG-10 Wharncliffe Delica to put them on (which has now become my work knife, lol).

And now here I sit, (im)patiently waiting for the Salt 2 Wharncliffe to add to my collection... Because what if I go on a boat or something!?

So what knife gets you all hot and bothered and makes you question (or break) your own rules?

3IeFbNA.jpg

JxOeelI.jpg

Last edited:
I don't love frame locks, they're about my least favorite lock.
I don't love giant unsightly holes in blades.
I don't love too-thick tactitarded modern folder blades.

Despite this, I absolutely love the frame lock, hole in the too-thick blade Spyderco Southard. I can't explain it, and I'm too happy holding a Southard to fight it. I have more than a dozen of them and more different sets of custom scales than that.

I believe the OP has the knife sickness variant leading to customs. :eek: I know it seems a stretch from here, but I see it coming. ;) Perhaps, with therapy, it will only lead to a very large collection of many versions of a lot of production knives. I wish you well (it didn't help me). :p

I don't love frame locks, they're about my least favorite lock.
I don't love giant unsightly holes in blades.
I don't love too-thick tactitarded modern folder blades.

Despite this, I absolutely love the frame lock, hole in the too-thick blade Spyderco Southard. I can't explain it, and I'm too happy holding a Southard to fight it. I have more than a dozen of them and more different sets of custom scales than that.

Love this! Do what makes you happy. :)

I'm a bit like that with the Kershaw Leek. Assisted opening knives have fallen pretty heavily out of favor with me... But I still can't stop myself from picking up just about every model I see go up for sale.

I believe the OP has the knife sickness variant leading to customs...

One can only hope... ;)

I’d have to say the XM-18. Wanted one but didn’t want to pay the price. Got a 561 loved it few months went by and I had to get the real deal got a 3” off the exchange and a Ti scale loved it carried it everyday perfect size for a small knife. Then went overboard got two 3.5s off the secondary and bought a new 3.5”.

Thought I’d never spend $425 on one but it was the perfect configuration so I had to. Sold the other two 3.5s due to not carrying them. Thinking about getting one of the new no choil M390 ones but I don’t like spending money lol. Maybe for Christmas

I've kind of liked the Spyderco Slysz Bowie. I like the lines; the steel. The scales could be grippier.

I’d have to say the XM-18. Wanted one but didn’t want to pay the price. Got a 561 loved it few months went by and I had to get the real deal got a 3” off the exchange and a Ti scale loved it carried it everyday perfect size for a small knife. Then went overboard got two 3.5s off the secondary and bought a new 3.5”.

Thought I’d never spend $425 on one but it was the perfect configuration so I had to. Sold the other two 3.5s due to not carrying them. Thinking about getting one of the new no choil M390 ones but I don’t like spending money lol. Maybe for Christmas

How do those Hinderers compare to the ZT’s? The new 0393s look almost exactly the same as the xm-18s, and have great action, steel etc... basically are they worth the extra $200? Not knocking them, just wondering.

I like liner locks the best. They hide the works and make it pretty. Some can be frame locks with a scale slapped on the moving side. Same result.

Generally speaking:

- plain ti handles
- backspacer or standoff with style
- plain blades - no coating or two tone
- framelock flipper
- good user blade

Clean & classy, equally at home being fondled, admired, or used at work.

How do those Hinderers compare to the ZT’s? The new 0393s look almost exactly the same as the xm-18s, and have great action, steel etc... basically are they worth the extra $200? Not knocking them, just wondering.

I think you mean hinderer eklipse because ZT 0393 looks nothing like Hinderer xm-18s. For me, I never owned and never will own a ZT 0393 because it is my least favorite ZT. The handle looks busy and cheap.

Whether xm-18 is worth $200 more than ZT 0560/0561/0562 etc really depends on the individual person because my $200 may not be the same as your $200 which may not be the same as another person's $200. For me, I dont think xm-18 is worth $185 more than ZT 0562cf. $100 more would be about right for me.

Now if we talk about ZT 0392, that would be a completely different story. That ZT is as expensive as if not more than Hinderer Eklipse.

So what knife gets you all hot and bothered and makes you question (or break) your own rules?

These are my rule breakers:

ZT 0801. 5 oz rule. Amazing action and ergonomics. I wish it was a bit thinner behind the edge (and obviously lighter), but every now and again a heavy solid feeling folder is good for the soul.

Spyderco Southard. No identical duplicates rule. The brown/stonewash Southard is my all time favorite knife. I keep one NIB as backup as I never ever want to be without one. It was my first grail knife, my first Exchange purchase, and it still blows me away every time I carry it (which is often).

Spyderco PITS. No safe queens rule. This knife is a unique and amazing work of art. It’s one of those niche Spydercos that exudes cool. Beautiful, but the blue anodized stonewash will scratch if you look at it wrong. It pains me not to carry it...maybe I should’ve bought a backup?

Last edited:
I’d for sure get a 393 over the real Hinderer eklipse but not a 562 over a XM-18 the customizing options the feel in hand. The broad blade of the 562 is pretty ugly to me. The XM-18 looks a lot better than the 562 but I’d guess it’s thinner behind the edge bc I know for sure the 561 is. I feel they’re just as good but not in the same way. The 561 is it’s own deal I like it as good as any Hinderer one of ZTs best knives. $200 difference probably not but Hinderer on the secondary market for 280-325 are for sure worth it

Back