What's your workout and why?

If this helps, I max out after about 5 or 6 reps.. 6 sets of each excersize.. I eat half ass clean.. and I stay around 185 to 190ish. Once you peak you'll either hover around a certain weight, or you have to up the weights and calories if you want more mass put on. Peaking for me was after around 2 months and that was only upping my weights at 5 lbs a week

Well I got it down to 9, not because I'm Arnold, but because I can't fit anymore weight on my apparently small manuals.

6 sets of 6 reps and about 4 different exercises per session on one muscle group. Do less reps for strength, more reps for size. You need to do high reps as a beginner to pattern your movements and build conditioning.

Split sessions into:

push day, pull day, leg day, rest day repeat.

I started about five years ago following one of those 5x5 programs, which worked really well. I got pretty strong. Then went to a program called Wendler 5/3/1 and got even stronger on that, it increased weight monthly rather than daily and used as many reps as possible for the last set of each lift. I eventually got bored and actually injured myself bench pressing. I've since stopped benching and now I'll do overhead pressing and push ups only. I'd het out of breath hiking uphill sometimes and wasn't flexible. Ended up trying CrossFit with my wife and it used all the same movements plus kettlebells and olympic lifts and did that for six months until a couple months ago when we moved cross country. Got into much better cardio shape from that and lost some weight, a lot more flexible and limber, a lot faster. Where we moved has a lot of hiking and I can hike all day uphill without getting out of breath after those workouts. It catches a lot of hate but it definitely worked for what I wanted. I'm not as strong now as I was but I'm maybe 80% as strong as I was on things like squats and deadlifts, I'm more flexible, got much better balance, and I think my upper body is stronger than when I was doing powerlifting type things only. I really enjoyed the added kettlebells, olympic lifts and bodyweight stuff, and all of the other odd stuff they'd have us do. We have a homegym set up now which we bought on our way out here and I still try incorporating all those things we learned doing CrossFit although the intensity is a good bit lower at home. I would do it again in a second, though!

Definitely would also recommend something like Starting Strength or The Strongest Shall Survive, which was the predecessor to Starting Strength. When I first started doing that I lost probably twenty pounds just doing that three times a week and only focusing on getting stronger.

For reference, I am 6'5", and weigh a lanky 185. The heaviest I have been is 206, and the lightest (in the last ten years anyway) was last Lent, when I got down to about about 165. But despite that low bodyweight, I felt fantastic... if a bit hungry. :D

I'm curious what you do for a weight routine and why?

No routine anymore. I do cycle to work and home every day, approximately 7 km. I also maintain and progress with my general physical condition by doing my favourite movements periodically, basically at a whim. These are all movements that experience (mine, and others') has shown to be high value movements for general well being, bang for your buck movements. I don't train for size or looks, but to feel good and maximize my performance.

Low bar squat
Deadlift
Clean and Jerk
Snatch

Burpees

Kettlebell swings (with at least 50% bodyweight)
Other KB movements, especially Turkish Get ups, Figure 8 uppercuts, Cleans, Snatches, Windmills and Bent Presses. Bottoms up cleans, snatches and presses too.

Pullups
Weighted Pullups
Ab wheel rollouts

Hindu Squats
Hindu Pushups

Pistols
Weighted Pistols

Do you lift to failure or no?

Not usually. I believe in the "always fresh" styles of training, which allow me to express near maximum strength at the drop of a hat. Also, I am currently fasting for Lent per traditional Catholic discipline (pre 20th century - I have come to believe this is an to all the baptized, such as myself), so my present diet prohibits eggs, milk, and all meat except fish.

So my one meal a day is two salmon wraps with avocado, and vegetables, sauteed in coconut oil, usually sweet potato, broccoli, onion, garlic and/or peas. Raw lettuce on the wraps. One cup of instant coffee with coconut oil, glutamine, and creatine.

Needless to say, I am currently more reserved in my training and overall energy expenditure. Before Lent, I was doing GTG sets of front squats, anywhere between 1 and 5 reps, with a little over my bodyweight. One set before work, maybe two. A set in the evening after work. Now during Lent, I am doing low bar squats. A single or a double with 1.5 x body weight. No warm up. I don't feel it's necessary given my low training volume, and I like to train to be able to suddenly call upon near max strength without notice. My body has adapted to it, so it's no big deal. If I plan to hit high reps with the big weights again, I'll warm up first

For those of you with weights at home, how do you do it? How many reps, how much weight, how long? Until you can't lift anymore that day?

I used to do stuff like that. I once did a workout that was nothing but one set of 50 squats straight, no putting the bar down, with just under bodyweight on the bar. I used to do high volume warmups and build up to maximal weights for single, doubles, or triples, and then trash my legs with descending sets with no rest from taking the a plate off each side to repping out the next set, all the way down to empty bar for 20 reps. These workouts destroyed my legs at first, but it got to the point where my legs could handle an awful lot of volume.

Never been one for lifting because my job has made me in fairly good shape, but I want more, so I bought about 220 pounds of weights a while ago.

If you have a barbell, 220 is a good amount of weight to start you off in the deadlift. Just about But if you want to build strength, you'll grow out of that weight quickly. However, 220 is a good amount for Olympic lifts, though I expect you bought iron and not bumper plates. Olympic lifts should really only be done with bumpers, unless you want to destroy the ground, haha.

Lol! I'd def go heavy weights, less reps, but hit up that cardio daily as you said, and a low dairy, sodium, sugar, carb.. and more lean proteins and healthy fats. Give it a month and you can come over and spar, and show me a bunch of pisser knives since I just got into the hobby and only am up to 2 knives so far lol! What would be your choice for a small edc.. Spyderco or Benchmade? I can't carry my bk10 anywhere lol

Spyderco Resilience. I own 5 of them for a reason.

Oh and nothing builds your calves, and promotes overall systemic well being like walking barefoot over grassy, bumpy, and rocky terrain. I lived close to work for a few months, and that spring I walked across a field each day to get to work, and back home, barefoot. To my pleasant surprise, my legs developed in ways that they never did even with calf raises with hundred of pounds.

One last post, I promise! I highly recommend owning a squat rack, an olympic bar (my bar is rated for 1200 pounds), at least 230 pounds of bumper plates (2 x 45, 2 x 35, 2 x 25, and 2 x 10), and having it set up in a convenient part of your home, preferably a garage with a high ceiling. I don't have a garage, sadly - I have to take my bar outside to Oly lift - but I can squat or deadlift any time I want right in the living room of my basement apartment. The cat hides when I deadlift, but meows at me when I squat.

I workout every morning and night. Sit-ups. Half when I wake up, other half when I lay down to sleep. Haha. One full sit-up per day.

In all seriousness tho, I used to work out a lot in my 20’s. I was on a regiment for muscle tone and endurance...along with short bursts of power training. This in turn lead me to rock and ice climbing.
In my late 20’s I got extremely sick and lost a lot of my muscle, my body literally “ate” my muscle. Lost 40lbs. Went into the hospital weighing 138lbs, and came out 3 weeks later not even being able to curl a 5lb dumbell.
Got back into climbing and muscle toning regiments (lower weight and more reps), and then just a lot of training on pull-up bars.
My rant really means nothing, but I guess if you decide what you want to accomplish, whether weight loss, muscle building, or tone and endurance, there are all sorts of regiments.
I havent worked out or climbed rock in 5 years now (I work in residential constuction, so that is my workout), and Ive noticed my endurance becoming weaker. My workouts these days are back on the bars for core strength and arm muscle endurance, hiking a lot, and biking. I’m back up to 141lbs (Im a small guy, 5’5”), and feel great.
Its not just lifting weights that can create muscle and tone, but everyday regiments that use your own body weight to achieve results. Also, when hiking, I always pick the hardest most steep trail. ;)
If you are interested in what the actual regiment is/was that I do...feel free to PM.
Its a lot to type. Haha.

Good luck!
Sharp & Fiery

I just met a fairly hardcore athlete that does Pilates, I thought it was a scam for rich bored housewives but it seems totally legit from what i can tell.

I just met a fairly hardcore athlete that does Pilates, I thought it was a scam for rich bored housewives but it seems totally legit from what i can tell.

Legit for what training goal? Not max strength, that's for sure. Nor athletic conditioning to be able to perform high level athletics for long periods of time. And is it efficient? For GPP you'd be hard pressed to find anything more efficient than heavy kettlebell swings, snatches and jerks. What sport is your athelete friend involved in? Ask him what he does to train his strength, conditioning, and performance in that sport. I doubt he'll say Pilates. Ask what he uses Pilates for. I bet he'll say recovery.

Its not just lifting weights that can create muscle and tone, but everyday regiments that use your own body weight to achieve results.

That's a really good point. In my teens I took "karate" in a McDojo, so I learned a little bit about calisthenics, but in my early twenties, I really got the physical culture bug when I stumbled accross Matt Furey's email newsletter marketing his "Combat Conditioning" book. Now I never ordered or even read the book, but he said enough in his newsletters to give me an idea what to do. He alleged that wrestling legends like Frank Gotch, and Gama of India were known to perform thousands of reps of "Hindu Pushups, Hindu Squats, and the Wrestler's Bridge". So I looked up how to do these, and started doing workouts consisting of nothing but these three, and I did them every day, even multiple times a day. 25 hindu pushups and 50 hindu squats at the start of each break at work. 100 squats at lunch. I got in fantastic shape, and it has never really left me since, and only inspired me with the confidence to try things I never thought I could do when I was younger (like barbell training), or never would have learned about (like kettlebell training) had I not gotten interested and proficient in calisthenics first.

That being said, I no longer perform certain exercises in the presence of others due to the immodesty of the positions they put one in. Hindu Pushups, for example. I do those strictly in private. Barbell squats, too. Hindu squats don't require sticking the rear out like barbell squats do, so I have no problem doing them where I can be seen, though I will still try to be discreet about it.

Many of the physical movements of yoga are good for promoting good blood flow, flexibility, and posture, components of physical health worthy of proper attention. Some of the movements (e.g. downward and upward facing dog, which are also the start and end position of the hindu pushup), but not all, are outrageously immodest, and I would not do them in the presence of others, especially of the opposite sex.

Low bar squats tonight. Short warm up and then I hit 95% of my all time PR for a single, tried for a double and was pinned to the rails. Dropped it down to 70% and aimed for 5x5 with 2 minutes between sets, and to my surprise it felt lighter every set. So I did a 6th set with the same 70% and hit a somewhat grindy 10 reps before calling it. I can handle grindy. It's what I do :rolleyes:. I'll take it as it's only been a few weeks back to regular lifting. Now it's time for Salmon dinner for me and the kitty.

Who else and what have you got?

Five workouts later and no notifications from this thread... :(

We're not getting younger, let's get after it! Bone density into old age, yo!

I do weights and mountain bike every day.
Unfortunately there's no gym open so it's all at home with dumbbells up to 75lb each and an adjustable incline/decline bench.
Definitely gets the job done but need more weight, my max dumbbell press is 320lb, but I'm guessing my landlord would crap a brick if he heard those things hitting the deck lol.
My routine would run like 5 pages and bore you guys to death, but right now being out of work I'm working out like it's my job to be in the best shape.
Maybe that will give me the focus I need when it's time to punch the clock again.

I do weights and mountain bike every day.
Unfortunately there's no gym open so it's all at home with dumbbells up to 75lb each and an adjustable incline/decline bench.
Definitely gets the job done but need more weight, my max dumbbell press is 320lb, but I'm guessing my landlord would crap a brick if he heard those things hitting the deck lol.
My routine would run like 5 pages and bore you guys to death, but right now being out of work I'm working out like it's my job to be in the best shape.
Maybe that will give me the focus I need when it's time to punch the clock again.
Lol! Yeah, that's not too landlord whatever it's called lol! That's what I've been doing.. just home stuff as well right now. I'm 41 and things have caught up with me from my old job, so I'm kinda weirded out already about where I'll be in 10 years from now if I don't start acting partially right about diet, excersize, etc. Kudos, brother

my max dumbbell press is 320lb

As in 2 x 160 pound dumbbells? That's elite! Were you a professional athlete? And please don't tell me you mean 320 lb in each hand, because I'm going to have to disbelieve that one with a hearty vigor. ;)

As in 2 x 160 pound dumbbells? That's elite! Were you a professional athlete? And please don't tell me you mean 320 lb in each hand, because I'm going to have to disbelieve that one with a hearty vigor. ;)
Yes 2x160
My all time max was 2x180 a bunch of years ago.
Football, rugby, powerlifting competitions, even tried my hand at boxing and tkd for a while.
Thank god for muscle memory as I get older.
Just for some reference I'm 6'6" and back then I was just a biscuit shy of 300lb so I was probably underachieving lol.
Now it's all about bmi and bf percentages, running about 12% these days.
Gotta stay heart healthy...or something.

Cool. I saw an interview with Ronnie Coleman and some of the guys he trained with and they talked about how he would push the 200 lb dumbbells, and most of the guys couldn't even hold onto them for the sheer amount of grip strength required, let alone get them into position and rep out.

300 lbs and 6'6" back then, eh? So not only a biscuit shy, but I'm guessing every biscuit was shy around you. :eek:;)

Back