What's your workout and why?

Cool. I saw an interview with Ronnie Coleman and some of the guys he trained with and they talked about how he would push the 200 lb dumbbells, and most of the guys couldn't even hold onto them for the sheer amount of grip strength required, let alone get them into position and rep out.

300 lbs and 6'6" back then, eh? So not only a biscuit shy, but I'm guessing every biscuit was shy around you. :eek:;)
Hahaha, yup...wasn't much chow safe around me those days for sure.:)

hS52LTJ.jpg

Tactical barbell for conditioning: it’s a periodized blend of aerobic, anaerobic with and without lactate, and a entry level program to ease into it

for strength: tactical barbell strength. Simple 5x5 with your choice of base lifts, depending on additional workload from work, sport etc. Or, now when the gyms are closed, Never gymless from Ross Enamait. Because it is convenient, and effectife. This is also comparible with TB Conditioning, both for the strength workouts and for some of the conditioning routines.

I have a pullup bar, suspension trainer and a 24 and 32 kg kb. Combined with NG, that neans I don’t have an excuse to be out of shape.

ps: Never gymless is on covid 19-sale, 1 dollar for the e-book. How to train Max Strength, strength endurance, explosive strength etc and conditioning, all without equipment, with progressions from complete beginner to experiences athete. Highly recommended. Or just follow Ross Enamait on instagram, he shows a lot of stuff for free

Last edited:
The last few years I've changed my diet and lost a significant amount of weight. 2020 I'm adding fitness and weight training specifically in to drop the rest and build muscle.

I'm curious what you do for a weight routine and why? Do you lift to failure or no?

When I did weight lifting I did repetitions, and not to failure, every other day. Cardio on the off days, bicycle and running. I found that if I burned off the adrenaline daily, it required a lot more to make me lose my temper the rest of the day. "Stupid" has always made me grumpy and there is always a lot of "stupid" around.

Nowadays I use resistance bands and do a set routine to keep my muscles toned. Maintaining muscle tone helps old bones retain mass. For cardio I go walking in the evenings to please my doctor.

Never go to failure. Complete the exercise or go down in weight.

I have had success with 5x5 and look forward to trying starting strength once I find a gym that's willing to roll the dice and open Up indefinately.

after being a Gym rat for years. Also swimming, Scuba, bike riding volley ball, Judo & San Soo until I thrashed my spine. These Days, approaching my Golden years & requiring a few surgeries, it’s Yoga & power bands....

I thought you guys might find this interesting. He is one of the coaches, whose training methods I have tried to emulate at times. Of course, I'm nowhere near his level!

I do Westside. Or follow the conjugate template to be more exact. 4 main sessions per week, maximum effort lower and upper, dynamic effort lower and upper.
Today was ME upper body, main movement was bench with bands up to 1RM.

Never go to failure. Complete the exercise or go down in weight.

Great philosophy, good for recovery as well as reinforcing solid motor patterns on every rep. I don't think going to failure is necessarily an absolutely bad thing, but certainly I don't consider it a good way to train regularly, or even very often. There is a time for some hearty fitness self flagellation once in a while, though, say to push and test one's own limits of physical and mental toughness. It's been a long time since I made such a push, however.

I just tried a new kind of push up that I never thought of before. It just occurred to me out of the blue. "Hammerfist pushups" kind of like a triceps extension. Anyone tried them? Not too difficult, but unfamiliar enough that I would be a while before I would get to the same level of performance as with other pushup types I use more regularly.

I have had success with 5x5 and look forward to trying starting strength once I find a gym that's willing to roll the dice and open Up indefinately.

How did that go?

I just tried a new kind of push up that I never thought of before. It just occurred to me out of the blue. "Hammerfist pushups" kind of like a triceps extension. Anyone tried them? Not too difficult, but unfamiliar enough that I would be a while before I would get to the same level of performance as with other pushup types I use more regularly.

How did that go?
🤗🤣 I forgot about this promise to myself. what with work, church, and family obligations I havent had the chance to start the journey.

mostly I just knock out a combination of pushups and body weight squats while waiting for my coffee to brew before work.

I think I have just switched to a Kettle bell program.

KB is underrated.

Complete workout in your backyard or in your bedroom for any and every type of athlete at any level and all you need is less than $100 for equipment for a life time.

I had almost none for the past 10 years but made a commitment to lose weight 6 months ago.
Dropped about 80lbs in 3 months.
New diet..actually having one 😁. No sugar. Breads.processed junk foods. Oatmeal fruit for breakfast. Quinoa beans, veggies , salads grilled proteins for lunch/ dinner.
Rode my bike 10-30 miles a day. Worked out with dumbbells at home a couple times a week. Joined planted fitness a month ago and started hitting every machine I could for 1-2 hours. Different muscles each day Back/abs, chest,legs / abs, shoulders,arms . 5 day split. Whatever keeps me feeling sore feels good. 😁

Weight lifting (squats, press/bench press, and deadlifts), twice a week. Progressive loading, Starting Strength program. Been doing that for about four years now, on-and-off. Quality of life improved substantially as I got stronger (both physically and mentally).

Back