Wheel of Time

Excellent series indeed! I need to re-read the whole thing to be honest. The whole series is standing on my bookshelf.

I personally really enjoyed the way Sanderson took over from Jordan. He wrote a good finale to an EPIC series.

Sanderson is very detail oriented in his books(like Jordan). I probably need to read them all again also since the first one was a long long time ago. I bought each one as it came out and discovering the very first one years ago was a great reading moment. I got a bit frustrated with the series in the middle as I felt Jordan and the publisher was probably just making it longer for the money and swore I would not buy the next one.... Well, I did anyway. Jordan became a rich man over that series. All of mine are in a book carton (moving box). Used to have all the hardbacks on my bookshelf like a status symbol or something... Now almost all the novels I buy are via Kindle. I just don't want the junk piling up any more.

Started reading the Wheel when book one first came out, have reread it many times, it has always been one of my favorite series. Really unfortunate that Jordan passed before finishing the series, Sanderson is a decent writer but he didn't have a good grasp of the main characters when he took over, killing characters that had been around since the beginning in two sentences. Thankfully much of the last book was already written for him. There is a definite difference in their writing styles.
Feist, Eddings, Modesitt, and Brooks are all excellent authors. Brooks is probably my favorite author, Shannara got me hooked in the early 80s on the fantasy genre. The tv series is pretty painful to watch though, I hate mtv lol

I've read some of my older copies of the first books to pieces a couple times over. I bought the first two books about 23 years ago when I went to visit my dad in California. Some of the repetitive descriptions made me batty at times but I enjoyed it overall.

I haven't gone back to read it since finishing Erikson's 'Malazan Book of the Fallen', that series was amazing but it spoiled me and makes it hard to not get annoyed with books that I'd previously liked very much.

Back