Wheels and Blades

Thanks!
It wasn't an antique when I bought it :p
Saw this thread for the first time earlier today and thought it was an odd coincidence.....

After a year of “life getting in the way”, I’m finally starting the “build” of my 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum. What struck me as an odd coincidence is that my wheels and tires were literally just installed yesterday.

Anyway, I figured I’d get in on the action and snapped a few pics of the truck at my Dr appointment today....along with a few of the knife that happened to be in my pocket all afternoon.

NXugzGz.jpg
7wEjQuC.jpg

2gBIBqB.jpg
F7YvAPB.jpg

Very nice! Ford has come a long way. That is hot and fully loaded. I never considered those toyo tires.

I'm looking to get something aggressive . Just a bump from stock.

What size are those btw.

Growing up, I didn't have much choice in not being into cars. My grandma was single and 43 when I was born. Living in Santa Monica driving a 75 Mustang Cobra. When I was 1, she bought a new 1980 Datsun 280ZX.

My neighbors dad had a 69 Z/28 327.

My uncle. Who lived with us when I was in 5th grade, had a 67 Camaro 350 all modified.

My favorite shows were dukes of hazzard and knight rider. Everyone loved cars in the 80s.

Last edited:
Can you drive a stick?

It's a 2014 C7 Z51 w/460HP & a 7 speed manual tranny. You can get into a lot of trouble on the road and w/the law if you dont' keep your hormones in check.

I don't have to shift it past 5th doing triple digits, which gives you an idea of how fast it can go. But, with the top down and normal cruising speeds it is a joy to drive. :)

I can drive a stick and love it. For a truck or suv. I like auto. But if I'm getting into a car. Make it manual and fast.

However . My lead foot has been a curse at times. So I know my limits. I'd say 450 horse tops ;)

Nope. :)

I'm thinking Shadow 1100.

Close enough :). 2003 Shadow Sabre 1100 (the love of my life). Although, I've spent the better part of the past 18 years doing mods and custom work on it to suit my evolving taste, so it looks nothing like a stock Sabre. If not for the unique Shadow Sabre wheels there would be nothing to identify it.

Sorry I don't have a full pic to share. I'm not big on posting pics of my bikes online.

Very nice! Ford has come a long way. That is hot and fully loaded. I never considered those toyo tires.

I'm looking to get something aggressive . Just a bump from stock.

What size are those btw.

Thanks! I’ll have to check the exact size. I swapped my 21” wheels for the 20” Black Rhinos because the offset gave me the more aggressive stance I was looking for and brought the tire right out to the flare. I believe the tires are 31” x 11”, just not sure what the conversion is. Required some slight trimming of the plastic (which we expected) but nothing you’d ever see. Aside from that, there’s no rubbing and it handles great. On paper, I think it gave me about 1/2” more ground clearance, but it feels like a little more.

The Toyo AT3 is a terrific tire. Relatively aggressive looks, great performance and as quite as an AT will get.

I still need to figure out some off road lights, but this is my first Ford and I’m absolutely loving it. Had to get rid of my beloved built-up Jeep Unlimited Sahara last year (long story), so I’ve been planning this build for a while now. Lol, my custom guy calls it a soft-road SUV.

Been a long time since I drove a manual, I think my honeymoon in 2015. Jeep in Mexico. Those things are do small I can barely get my leg high enough to release the clutch. I'm 6'3.5" and all legs.

I learned on a manual, 1966 International Scout. 4 cylinder tractor engine, 3 spd on the floor, topped out at 60mph. 25 lb clutch.

I occasionally use the manual mode on my Sorento, especially if I'm goofing around at stop lights. The thing is, I still have my reaction time from years of racing both strip and street, so most of these suburban folks may have a slightly faster car but no idea about 60 foot and reaction time. It's kinda funny. I took a kid in a lancer evo today to 60 by 3 car lengths.

If I could afford a second car (and have a place for one) it would be a manual. I'd like an old 280zx 2+2 but with a more modern engine. Maybe a JDM RB25DET. I have fond days of being in grandma's, but hers was a 2 seater and I need to be able to take the older 2 nephews for a spin.

Been a long time since I drove a manual, I think my honeymoon in 2015. Jeep in Mexico. Those things are do small I can barely get my leg high enough to release the clutch. I'm 6'3.5" and all legs.

I learned on a manual, 1966 International Scout. 4 cylinder tractor engine, 3 spd on the floor, topped out at 60mph. 25 lb clutch.

An uncle (who was a mechanic) taught me how to drive in an early 1960's VW Bug w/a manual 4 on the floor on the streets and HILLS of San Francisco in the early morning on Sundays in 1966.

For my "final" test, my uncle directed me to drive up towards the top of Nob Hill (where the Mark Hopkins and the Fairmont Hotels are located) on Pine Street (which is VERY steep at that location) and then told me to stop in the middle of the hill (there were no other cars around) between intersections, set the emergency brake and turn off the car. I then had to restart the car and get it moving again w/o killing the engine.

I passed. :)

Since then, I have driven all sorts of vehicles w/manual transmissions in them, including big rigs after I got my commercial driver's license, and I currently own 3 such cars -- the 2014 Z51 C7 Corvette pictured above, a 2000 Porsche 911 C4 Cab and a 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder -- which differ widely in terms of size/power/tech/performance but are each great fun to drive.

The worst day in my life will be when I cannot drive any longer. Until then, like my guns, I'll give up my car keys only when they can be taken from my "my cold, dead hands."

LOL! ;)

Last edited:
An uncle (who was a mechanic) taught me how to drive in an early 1960's VW Bug w/a manual 4 on the floor on the streets and HILLS of San Francisco in the early morning on Sundays in 1966.

For my "final" test, my uncle directed me to drive up towards the top of Nob Hill (where the Mark Hopkins and the Fairmont Hotels are located) on Pine Street (which is VERY steep at that location) and then told me to stop in the middle of the hill (there were no other cars around) between intersections, set the emergency brake and turn off the car. I then had to restart the car and get it moving again w/o killing the engine.

I passed. :)

Since then, I have driven all sorts of vehicles w/manual transmissions in them, including big rigs after I got my commercial driver's license, and I currently own 3 such cars -- the 2014 Z51 C7 Corvette pictured above, a 2000 Porsche 911 C4 Cab and a 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder -- which differ widely in terms of size/power/tech/performance but are each great fun to drive.

The worst day in my life will be when I cannot drive any longer. Until then, like my guns, I'll give up my car keys only when they can be taken from my "my cold, dead hands."

LOL! ;)

Exactly. I've long feared the day of fully autonomous cars. Makes me think of the movie demolition man.

Exactly. I've long feared the day of fully autonomous cars. Makes me think of the movie demolition man.
I loathed the idea of fully autonomous cars. Then I had to take Dad's keys a couple of years before he died. He was an extremely good driver who enjoyed it, but declining mental and physical abilities finally took its toll. Now I hope autonomous cars come into full and normal use about the time I need them :)
Assuming I live that long ;)

Exactly. I've long feared the day of fully autonomous cars.
I hope that never happens. And I REALLY hope I die before I have to see the day of fully electric sports/muscle cars. I feel bad for future generations.

I hope that never happens. And I REALLY hope I die before I have to see the day of fully electric sports/muscle cars. I feel bad for future generations.

As fast as the electric cars are like Tesla's, to me they have no soul. Soulless automatons.

As fast as the electric cars are like Tesla's, to me they have no soul. Soulless automatons.

I leased a Chevy Bolt for 3 years to give it a try.

It was ok as basic transportation. It is quicker than you think and I'd often hit the speed limiter at 92 making a high speed pass on the freeway. The 2 Priuses I owned/leased were just as quick and they had an even higher limiter at 103. Yes, I have a lead foot. LOL! ;)

Anyway, I found it worrisome and inconvenient to drive the Bolt 140 miles from my house to SF ("the City") and back because, although it is/was rated for about 238 miles in range on a full charge, the way I drove it (which is fast), I'd only get about 160-180 miles of range out of it. So, I'd always have to take 15-30 mins to get a quick charge in the City, for peace of mind, before returning home.

After a few such trips, I just stopped driving into the City and used the Bolt for local transportation w/in 25-50 miles of home.

Turned in the Bolt a a year ago but still have the Level 2 EV charger in garage. Have been thinking about maybe getting another one but I have no interest in getting a Tesla or other EV that claims to challenge the speed and performance of classic sports/muscle cars because I agree that EVs have no "soul."

I rented a Tesla S once and had it for a couple of days. It was a nice ride and you could drive it fast but it was really boring.

As for autonomous driving (full or partial), it's not for me. I don't trust "technology" all that much and I will not relinquish control of the car to a computer.

I don't mind "nanny warnings" like lane drifting and blind spot alarms or even emergency braking technology but IMO a person always needs to be in control while driving a car on public roads.

In fact, Tesla says that people still need to pay attention (even though they often do not) when they have the autonomous driving feature engaged because that technology is NOT perfect and still needs a person to make driving decisions to override that technology in certain situations.

Last edited:
Back