Attention Whelp...if you are using..

Another super-great part I just discovered? I cannot view any of the images on my (i)phone individually via the Photobucket App. I can see my library and items in tile view, but if I click on any one of the images-- without trying to access a link, just trying to see it in isolation (like, you know, to show someone else in person?!)-- I see only the blasted Upgrade Meter placeholder.

I wonder if someone from within Photobucket decided to bring 'em down?! They are more effectively antagonizing their existing user base than if they were hacked from the outside....

~ P.

I use smugmug and it seems reasonable. Just one of those options out there.

It sucks for any past content. I just downloaded my entire album(s) from photobucket.

If this is really how it's going to be, I wonder how long until other image hosts jump on board.

It is reasonable to fear that this expensive ransom tactic will spread to other hosting sites. If that happens on a large scale, it will spell doom for active participation on forum sites like this. The idea of going to all the work to move hundreds or thousands of photos to a new host that may pull the same $399 retroactive ransom fee in six months is very demotivating for me to add any more new extensive review content here.

I am OK paying a reasonable fee for a service that provides me a measure of enjoyment. That is why I pay for a Platinum membership here. It is a good value for the price. I would be OK if PB was just changing their terms for FUTURE 3rd-Party linking at a similar reasonable fee. Deleting past links retroactively that represent hundreds of hours of my work (and many others here) unless an immediate ransom of $399 is paid now is highway robbery. Next year it will probably be "Only $799."

Let's hope this tactic doesn't spread to other hosting sites. If it does, we will start seeing ads in the Exchange or Flea Market like this: "For Sale - Custom knives (e-mail for photos) Need to raise money to pay for expensive photo-hosting service so that I can post photos of knives I used to own..."

Phil

This Photobucket thing is such a joke, I don't know what to say. It does feel like there could be a hack internal/external behind it. Otherwise why would you sink your own ship???

This Photobucket thing is such a joke, I don't know what to say. It does feel like there could be a hack internal/external behind it. Otherwise why would you sink your own ship???

I agree, from $0-$399 with the idea that people won't move on is misguided at best, criminally ignorant of your customer at worst. Just the customer relations of no longer servicing old links has doomed them many times over. The unreasonable fee structure to get links back just added dirt to the open grave. Summary I found on web below.

In one day Photobuck broke the picture links to billions of picture posted online. Photobuck sent out no emails to warn users of this change. This resulted resulting in millions of users being forced to ether pay up to restore links or find a new picture host. Somewhere between 200 million to 1 billion picture links on forum and Twitter etc are broken and replaced with please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting picture. If you remember Twitter announced a partnership back in 2011 making Photobucket the default sharing platform for Twitter.

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of photos or total file size that we can upload to the forum server? Unless there is a severe limit to either, this seems like a reasonable alternative for sale threads, where photos can be deleted after a sale, but probably wouldn't work for anything else (I'm assuming there are limits to what we can upload).

Well this sucks. All of the pictures I have ever posted on the forum are now gone and I'm not paying the "ransom" to get them back.

Is fotki free?

I have been using Flickr for years with no problems.

Well this sucks. All of the pictures I have ever posted on the forum are now gone and I'm not paying the "ransom" to get them back.

Is fotki free?
We use fotki at the shop and have a paid account. Im not sure if they have a free option.

I understand them wanting to be paid for hosting everyone's pics. But $400 a year is nuts and this ransom crap has to be the stupidest idea I've seen in a long time.

For those suggesting Imgur, you might want to see this from the Terms of Service.

Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it.

Hosting stuff there might go away as well.

I quit using Photobucket a couple years ago and moved to Flickr. It's free for 1TB of pics. For $50 a year ($35 with easy to find coupons) you get an app to auto-upload all your pictures making it easy to use as a photo backup site.

test
d50x76

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152240568@N03/shares/d50x76

In Flickr, use the BB Code tab, choose a size and copy the link.

Back