When Did Victorinox Change the Names on Alox Models?

5K Qs

Gold Member
I happened upon a 2017 Victorinox catalog today: https://assets.victorinox.com/media...DkzYzMzMjc2ZmFiYzI0ZjVkZjhiNDIxMzQwMmIwNDQ3ZQ
On pages 68 and 69, they display some of their Alox models, but the names used for some of them are new to me! :eek: For example, there's a knife that I'd call the Solo Alox, but the catalog calls it the Swiss Army 1. Similarly, what I'd have called the Pioneer Pruner is now billed as the Swiss Army 2, the former Pioneer Rancher is now named the Swiss Army 6, and the former Pioneer Harvester is called the Swiss Army 7 in the catalog. (Farmer and Electrician retain their names.)

Any one know when these changes occurred, and why? Thanks!

- GT

Given how many models have been called the "Woodsman", and how many different versions of the "Champion" there have been, simply numbering everything would cut down on the confusion in the long run. I still prefer names even if they are as confusing.

Sorry I can't help with your question GT, but I just have to say WOOHOO that they brought back the excelsior.
My friend had one as a kid, and according to sakwiki it was an uncommon model.
It's not exactly a pocket pal, but name and keyring are the only differences.

Btw since when are there 64mm models ?

I see that on the Swiss Army number they have removed the key ring. Thankfully! That thing bits into your hand if you actually use the knife. I hope they reintroduce the Soldier for that very reason.

Reactions: vba
I saw that a while back when I was looking to buy a harvester and saw it was now called the “7”. I prefer the old names but can see how the numbering can be more organized.

Reactions: vba
I see that on the Swiss Army number they have removed the key ring. Thankfully! That thing bits into your hand if you actually use the knife. I hope they reintroduce the Soldier for that very reason.
Hate the key ring attachment. It just wears holes in my pocket. I don't have any desire to place a SAK with keys, that's what where my Ps4 Squirt resides.

Back