When did you catch the Busse bug?

This guy named Jerry walked into my gun shop. Told me he made knives. We became great friends. He showed me a few knives one day and the rest is history.
I remember those days. That's when Lonnie (I believe it was) decided he wanted to move on and you took over/bought the business. I bought a barrel for my Contender back then. My fondest memory of Wauseon Sportsman was when Nugent was playing a concert in Detroit and he came by for an autograph signing. Most everyone had left but there was still a dozen people hanging out. Ted then went out back and we all sat on straw bales in a circle while Ted played music and told us stories for 45 minutes or so. A moment I'll never forget. I grew up a huge fan, saw him in concert a few times late 70's/early 80's. To be just feet away from him when he said "Here's a new song I'll probably put on the next album as he described his relationship with Fred Bear to play the famous song which became so popular. One of those moments that numbs the senses to the fact, Ted Nugent is sitting here talking to all of us. To think he took the time to ask each of us our names and our background as he was truly interested to get to know a little about us. I thought that was one of the coolest things Lonnie ever did and it wasn't long after that when you guys took it over.
I have to say bud, I like how it all worked out and last I knew Lonnie was still working at the Lead Shed at least part time, last I was in there. But your value with Jerry has made an impact 10 fold over that has impacted lives on a global scale. You have left a mark bro, an enduring mark. I can't think of a better person to have filled the role you have.
I have a cool story for you Garth. This past week I went over to the Fertilizer plant in Berkey, the one Willie Gombash runs. A guy who works there, used to work in the parts Dept at my store that I used to bring in all my new Busse's and he always adored them. He's a total gun nut but loved all the knives I brought in. I took the TNT15 over just to show to him, he loved it of course. Then he said "Hey, I was at the fair and I got talking to this guy, he was cool as hell and we chatted for a while and then we had to go, I asked Liz (Willy's daughter, who he's married to) who was that guy I was talking to?" She told him "you know who he is, he's the guy who works for Jerry Busse, the knife maker guy" that's when it dawned on him "That's the guy! all those knives Len has brought in, he's the guy!" HAHA! He couldn't say enough nice things about you and I replied "Yep, that's Garth" I just had to share that little story, was so cool. So you have a fan. He's a tall guy, Zack Marks, good dude. Liz is big into the horses which explains how you all crossed paths.

Still got the hat signed by Ted on my special cabinet.

Nugentsigned hat.jpg

Last edited:
Many years ago I came back from a trip to the North West Territories ( Nahanni River) cursing at my Cold Steel Carbon V Trailmaster because of that horrible Kraton handle and the rust that seemed unavoidable on that thing in those conditions. I can't remember how I first heard of Busse, probably a knife magazine, but i was impressed, ordered a straight handle BattleMistress and Steelheart, which never made it through the mail. Jerry replaced them and they were perfect for everything but cooking and I was hooked, by the knives and the company, which means Jerry.

Last edited:
Many years ago I came back from a trip to the North West Territories ( Nahanni River) cursing at my Cold Steel Carbon V Trailmaster because of that horrible Kraton handle and the rust that seemed unavoidable on that thing in those conditions. I can't remember how I first heard of Busse, probably a knife magazine, but i was impressed, ordered a straight handle BattleMistress and Steelheart, which never made it through the mail. Jerry replaced them and they were perfect for everything but cooking and I was hooked, by the knives and the company, which means Jerry.
I literally just got rid of a Carbon V Trail Master to finance a TGULB. I hated that kraton handle. Too small and horrible looking IMHO.

got the bug the moment that forsaken mistress filled my hand, early this year. just recieved a second today, went all in before they became unobtanium for my modest means. worth more than my vehicle and infinitly😆more practical than gold. i took a big risk only to find out it was no risk at all.

got the bug the moment that forsaken mistress filled my hand, early this year. just recieved a second today, went all in before they became unobtanium for my modest means. worth more than my vehicle and infinitly😆more practical than gold. i took a big risk only to find out it was no risk at all.

You got a second one? 😊 Is this for dual-wielding during the zombie apocalypse?

Kinda funny, I couldn't remember when it was but new my first Busse love was a HOGFSH. I found the original mail from the seller and he sent it to me from his Blackberry so that should tell you something! It was 2006.

For you youngins that was the hot mobile device before iPhones.

My first was FBM LE #4, the lone factory bruiser handled one to leave Wauseon, and won't be parted with.

It all started for me back in 2009 watching Noss' destruction test videos of this crazy INFI supersteel. I had to have it, learned to root through the trough for it, still have a bunch, including that stripped bruiser gladius in the pics my friend Dave shared. Dave helped me learn how to strip Bussekin coatings and I took it from there to eventually my own Stripetition Finish, though sadly I am too busy these days to have time for it.

Good times indeed, especially waiting for the BB13 and the HOG B8.

In addition to missing out on initial releases of classic kin and being able to order from the Crab Shack, another reason I wish I had jumped into the trough long ago is the old community. No offense intended towards the new community, which I am happy to be a part of. More specifically, the old school modders. I would love to be able to send some blades to Tim for his infamous stripetition finish, or to Josh for a full REK treatment, and that’s only naming two of the old modders! Alas, those days are far behind us. What’s a young, inexperienced piglet to do? Mod it themselves? Pretty sure I’d end up with a WRECKED blade, instead of a REKed blade….

practice makes less imperfect. ask me how I know
In addition to missing out on initial releases of classic kin and being able to order from the Crab Shack, another reason I wish I had jumped into the trough long ago is the old community. No offense intended towards the new community, which I am happy to be a part of. More specifically, the old school modders. I would love to be able to send some blades to Tim for his infamous stripetition finish, or to Josh for a full REK treatment, and that’s only naming two of the old modders! Alas, those days are far behind us. What’s a young, inexperienced piglet to do? Mod it themselves? Pretty sure I’d end up with a WRECKED blade, instead of a REKed blade….

2001 but it took me till 2007 to finally buy one. The price scared me away until I finally bought one and tried it. Then I was hooked.
I still have my HOG ASH1 signed by Jerry❤️

Last edited:
Back