When is the Mini 940 coming out ?

When you live somewhere without 3" knife laws you don't understand how hard it is to find a nice work knife with a thicker blade.this is the problem with mini knifes they are reduced proportionally across the entire build of the knife, If Benchmade made a shorter 940 it would be great look how many mini grips have sold.
Stop and think if you were unlucky enough to live somewhere with a 3" knife law would you like a shorter 940?
PS. I can't move house

Remove a half inch from the 940 in the middle and viola. I love 940’s and wish I could carry one but that aside a Mini would still be good. A Mini Grip is still good. This is more about having the option than saying a mini is better or worse and BM knows this. This could have hit market a decade ago and be a classic as the Mini Grip. What Spyderco did with the Pm2 and made a P3 was phenomenal and kept it the same except for snubbing a blade and handle. This isn’t rocket science. Half inch off and boom it’s done. If changed any more it’s not the same knife and people will flip out that the knife is compromised. To me this knife is an easy make that’s been overlooked for years or maybe not and I’m bringing light to it. I can’t be the first to say ,have a mini because the 940 is a legend in the knife world. People who don’t like BM’s say the 940 is fantastic. Get’er Done !!! Benchmade

I’m waaay in on a mini 940, but I would want a true miniaturized 940 to be used as a 3” or less bladed gents folder. Definitely a thinner blade also. Not crazy smaller, just a half inch off each end, and slightly smaller than the original in the other dimensions.

I can understand where the guys are coming from who want just the length cut off for legal reasons.

I love it as is but shorten it because it’s already sleek enough in blade and handle

Make a whole brand new knife for someone who needs a half an inch taken off? Seems somewhat ridiculous..

Just choke up lol

Nobody is saying to get rid of the 940. We're just saying it would be nice to have a Mini-940 as an option. Just like the Grip and the Mini-Grip.

Life is all about having options.

Oh, and the Griptillian is porky enough in all dimensions that it made perfect sense for Benchmade to knock a little off in all directions. But the 940 seems perfect in width and thickness, so just knocking a half inch off the length would do it.

Just make it Benchmade and you can milk it like the 940 has been for years because people aren’t too excited about anything else. It would just be the complement as the mini grip is to the grip. Try telling me mini grips aren’t huge sellers. A 940 mini aka 945 mini would be another classic that is long overdue. I don’t want or need credit for anything. I just want the knife as well as how many more people can have an even more pocket friendly 940. In my case legal as well.

Let’s say they took an inch off the total length and configured it like the 940-1. What would the weight be? 2oz? Less?
I like lighter.

I figure 2 oz. is about right for a CF. How awesome is that ? People’s feathers are getting ruffled about 940’s as if your changing the holy of holy ‘s by having a short version. This is about having choices in size. How dare I say a word about a 940 mini. I should be boiled in oil and fed to the lions for even suggesting such a thing. HaHaHa!!! LoL !!! Don’t upset the status quo folks, or else. I now have to go get stitched and mended up. The next thing coming may be the nine inch nails to me. Owwwwww !!!!

You aren't making a solid argument. You say that Benchmade NEEDS a mini 940 for a smaller option, (it is not a large knife). And, they DO have smaller options of knives, many of them in fact! You mention the 940 isn't pocketable enough for you, that's ok, not every knife is for everyone. The 940 is extremely sleek and many people's easy edc choice because of its size and capability.

Also, to compare the size and feeling of the griptilian to the 940 is apples and oranges. And then making the comparison that because they made a mini griptilian they need a mini 940, a mini 940 doesn't necessarily warrant the same response.

Buy a knife that's right for you. It's out there. It's available. If a knife doesn't check the boxes you need it to don't be that guy and take it out on a great company like Benchmade please.

Last edited:
It’s not a large knife but it’s a length thing. Nothing else. Fantastic knife. Make half inch shorter version. That’s it. Would be even more pocket friendly and even less menacing to someone who may perceive it as kind of menacing. I’m not one who finds 940’ s scary but some may. There is no harm in making a smaller knife but I decect some fear that somehow It may detract from a regular. It’s not going to taint a 940. It’s strange how such suggestions for other choices to make things don’t stir controversy with some other manufacturers that I won’t name. 940 is that touchy where it’s above and beyond reproach? Not for me. Time has come today. Time !!! Yea !!!

It’s not a large knife but it’s a length thing. Nothing else. Fantastic knife. Make half inch shorter version. That’s it. Would be even more pocket friendly and even less menacing to someone who may perceive it as kind of menacing. I’m not one who finds 940’ s scary but some may. There is no harm in making a smaller knife but I decect some fear that somehow It may detract from a regular. It’s not going to taint a 940. It’s strange how such suggestions for other choices to make things don’t stir controversy with some other manufacturers that I won’t name. 940 is that touchy where it’s above and beyond reproach? Not for me

Jimmy any comment on this? A 940 not reduced proportionally across the entire build just shorter ( 3" Blade)

Jimmy any comment on this? A 940 not reduced proportionally across the entire build just shorter ( 3" Blade)

It's possible. Not a priority but and interesting idea I will pass on.

Just bring back the 960, this is the smaller Osborne we need with updated handle materials and S90V.

I can’t lie I would purchase a mini 940, the 940 is the largest knife I have and I just can’t favor it. It’s one of those I have bought fell out of then ended up re-buying again now I’m on #4. Oddly enough I went 940-1 to 940 to 940-2 then 942

Many would buy a Mini 940, just as many have of other minis. Own a regular and a mini like so many people have in their quiver. It’s just more gravy for a gravy knife.

Back