When the multi-tool rules the roost

I would hazard a guess that there are more people out there having a multi-tool either on their belt or in their pocket that there are those people with folders.

The reason is simple: multi-tool can perform more tasks. And it is more police-friendly. Personally, I am more inclined towards carrying a multi-tool than a fixed blade (of any length) or a folder.

Take the SAK, for example. There are more people around the world with SAKs in their pockets than there are folder carriers. One doesn't really have to hire a professional survey company to establish this fact.

All those who agree with me, raise their hands! :D

For some time I carried a folder in my pocket even though I practically sleep with a multi-tool. More than anything else, I stopped carring the pocket knife to avoid scratches from small change,keys, or whatever else might end up in my pocket. ;)

I carry both.

I started carrying a multi tool in 1992, and also carried a lockback Kershaw in my pocket. I didn't start carrying a pocket clip style knife until 1995.

I do see lots of people with Leatherman or Gerber sheaths on their belts, and the majority of my friends and colleagues carry multi tools, and small pocket knives.

Frankly, I'm not worried about the police when it comes to my knives. (Or anything else for that matter). Most cops around here carry a multi tool on their duty belt, as well as some good folders clipped to their pockets. Most of these cops understand what a knife is normally used for (utility purposes), and if you aren't engaged in suspicious activity, or look like a banger, you won't get hassled.

I carry a supertool, a stockman, a micra, and a 110 every day. Each one fulfills a different role. The one I reach for the most is the stockman. I started carrying a multitool when Leatherman started selling the pst. I passed that along to my wife and now my son has it.
Bob

Back