When the switch???

I have had and used and loved a number of Buck Knives through the years but never really paid attention to the steels they were made of. Well I currently was currious and looked up 1 of my gator fixed blades and it said its made of 420 hc stainless. Well also read that they are making them with 420 hc and not 440a anymore. I was curious if anybody knows when the switch was? Just a curiosity for me. Thanks for any info.

tx, welcome. Buck never used 440A for fixed blades. Perhaps Camillus on folders. From 1961-81 they used 440C. In 1982 they went to 425M and in 1992 they went to 420HC. DM

Ahhh ok I read it in a review and wasnt sure. More or less just curious. My gator is about 7 yrs old and still kicking. I have a few much more expensive blades whick I love but theres just something about my gator. I am sure you know what I mean.

txhc, how about a picture of your Gator...I know Gerber had a blade called the Gator, never seen one from Buck, thanks, Preson

txhc, how about a picture of your Gator...I know Gerber had a blade called the Gator, never seen one from Buck, thanks, Preson

Same here. Gerber yes but AFAIK Buck never marketed a "Gator" but I've been mistaken before.

Will do when I get home but I think it might be an "huh idiot" moment for me. I think it is gerber. I think I spaced out and thought it was buck. My bad if it is.

Will do when I get home but I think it might be an "huh idiot" moment for me. I think it is gerber. I think I spaced out and thought it was buck. My bad if it is.

Al bet you're knife has a satin finish clip point blade with a black rubber handle doesn't it ?
Your knife is a Gerber gator fixed blade.

Back