Recommendation? When to attach bolster on damascus full tang

I'm working on a full tang carbon Damascus knife with stainless bolsters. I'm planning to get the handle material finished off the knife and heirloom fitted so that I can keep the spine etched, however, I don't know when to attach the bolster. Should I put it on

1. pre etch: that could make sanding up to it difficult and I don't know if ferric will affect 416 (found some posts saying it will), I could jb weld under it to seal it and etch like that.

2. post everything and get it shaped prior to etching, then just sand down pins and heirloom where it fits on the spine and underbelly? I would try to get a flush fit but I think flush prior to peening pins won't be flush after peening and then if I have etched the spine I cant really grind there.

Any help would be much appreciated

I do #2 above. I also pre attach the handle and sand the top spine (tang) down to the finished grit. Then I take the guard and handle off and etch. I do not worry about the bottom of the tang as I blue it when I am finished.
You will notice that most Damascus knives are hidden tang not full tang.

Tom thanks for the help I was leaning towards #2 and your experience and all, and recommending it as well makes me feel good about my choice
As for hidden tang Damascus, I would have rather done that but a customer wanted full tang with bolsters and before really thinking it through I said ok. Wont do that again

Back