• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

When you sell a knife

I was looking for Grimsmo Norseman and Medford Praetorian T listings to figure out what the going rate is. Each time I came across one, the seller deleted the price to write 'Sold'. Please stop doing this. Leave your selling price in your listing because it's useful for people who need to figure out what a good sale price is.

I sold my LNIB ZT 0200 for $110. How useful do you think that information would be?

Boils down to seller's choice.
The practice doesn't make much sense to me - other than the number of people that disregard other methods of stating the knife is sold, and continue posting or sending messages (even a couple years later). Okay, I admit it - I've seen people trying to buy, and asking if it is available AFTER the price is removed & replaced with SOLD...but it does stop a lot of it.

Yes beaten to death. I have started leaving the listed price but the price listed may or may not represent the actual selling price after negotiations.

Yes beaten to death. I have started leaving the listed price but the price listed may or may not represent the actual selling price after negotiations.

I would like to think that people understand that. The Exchange is not like Walmart, it's more like a Mexican Bazaar.

I sold my LNIB ZT 0200 for $110. How useful do you think that information would be?
I dont understand because that sounds pretty useful? If that's a low price, I get what you're trying to say. But most people dont undersell themselves. The majority of prices are going to be around what they should be going for.

I dont understand because that sounds pretty useful? If that's a low price, I get what you're trying to say. But most people dont undersell themselves. The majority of prices are going to be around what they should be going for.
The knife mentioned was discontinued a couple of years ago. If he sold it when it was still readily available, the price isn't particularly relevant now. Likewise, there are knives that - just a year or so ago - were tough to find; and secondary market prices ran way high. Those prices wouldn't get a lingering glance (unless accompanied by raucous laughter) today.
While seeing other prices can help establish a range, it doesn't necessarily lead you to that desirable combination of max return + minimum wait. That's as dependent on the right person seeing the ad at the right time as any "market research"

Last edited:
The knife mentioned was discontinued a couple of years ago. If he sold it when it was still readily available, the price isn't particularly relevant now. Likewise, there are knives that - just a year or so ago - were tough to find; and secondary market prices ran way high. Those prices wouldn't get a lingering glance (unless accompanied by raucous laughter).
While seeing other prices can help establish a range, it doesn't necessarily lead you to that desirable combination of max return + minimum wait. That's as dependent on the right person seeing the ad at the right time as any "market research"

Post dates, how fast an item is sold, history, and asked price get one in the ballpark.
Plus it's interesting to see historical and fluctuating prices over time.

The knife mentioned was discontinued a couple of years ago. If he sold it when it was still readily available, the price isn't particularly relevant now. Likewise, there are knives that - just a year or so ago - were tough to find; and secondary market prices ran way high. Those prices wouldn't get a lingering glance (unless accompanied by raucous laughter) today.
Most people will see the dates and take that into consideration. There are very few knives that go years between sales, so a more recent listing will almost always be available.

OP - As others have suggested, this issue has been raised and discussed many, many, times. Opinion is split, but the ultimate answer has been given by the owner/mods: Whether to leave an asking price visible after a sale is entirely the decision of the seller. End of discussion - or not;).

The answer is simple-the rules allow it. There are a number of different reasons why people choose to do it-read past threads if you want to know why. They aren't deleted.

Back