Where can I find a 499 with sharpened swedge?

So I got a 499 in the mail today and it doesn't have the sharpened swedge. I saw the post by someone at Ontario that said it was removed as a conscious design decision and that the sharpened swedge is only available on government contracts. Anyone know if there is a dealer selling the government contract version? I haven't been able to find one that clearly stated so and had it in stock.

You're going to have to sharpen the knife sometime, might as well sharpen the swedge at the same time?

You're going to have to sharpen the knife sometime, might as well sharpen the swedge at the same time?
In the return process. It wasn't just not sharp, it was flattened. I'll have something made in stainless with the swedge sharpened. Cost 10 times as much as a 499 probably, but I'd probably screw up 10 times trying to grind 10 499s. I've done work with my hands in my life, but I've always been the "carry the oak ties by yourself" guy and not the "finish work" guy. :)

The ones I bought at the large big box store that starts with a w came with the swedge sharpened.

No need to grind. A sharp round file will have the job 90% done in 20 minutes. Then a fine round stone to finish as sharp as you want. A metal-quality 600+ grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel will also work if you don’t have a stone. Best part of a file is going slow, so you can check your work often and avoid mistakes. Just use a good, cared for file, not the bottom of the toolbox rusted horrors I see all too often.

Back