Where can I find fasteners for sak

I don't think SAK alox uses Torx screws, just the pins are rounded over.
Rich

The alox models you've been seeing are likely modified versions. If you want to go through the process of doing it, you will have to drill out the existing pins and get a 1/8" carbide drill bit, then drill through all the existing pin holes in the scales, tools and springs. You will then need 1/8" pivot barrels to replace them. It's a pretty labor-intensive process... what are you hoping to do? Do you want to modify the blade configuration, or just be able to tighten your pivots? If you want to modify the blade configuration there are a lot of good modders out there who will do it pretty affordably. If you're just wanting to adjust your pivots, a few taps on the pins with a ball peen hammer should do it...

I'm looking to modify the knife so I can have torx instead of pins so I can take the knife apart and or replace tools with other tools

That, as mentioned above, is a pretty big task and unless you have some knife tinkering experience I would recommend finding someone experienced to do it.

The place where I bought my hardware is not, as far as I know, a supporting dealer here. I have a gmail account the same as my user name here if you want to e-mail me for a link.

As others have mentioned, it isn't a simple process to replace the existing pins with screw fasteners. As far as I have been able to find, no one makes barrel pivot bolts that small, so all those hardened steel parts have to be drilled out to a larger size. And if you think taking it apart and putting it back together will be easy once you have the screw fasteners in place, think again. I did a five layer Alox, and it took a bench vise and an 8 inch wrench to torque the scales into alignment to get the last screw in. You couldn't pay me enough to take that sucker back apart.

I have no experience but I'm willing to get experience by my own personal trial and error, resesrch, etc.

Not trying to talk you out of it. There are a bunch of tutorial threads over at a forum about multitools, with a .org top level domain. The layers are pretty much set, so you are kinda stuck with the tools that share a spring. There are mod options from there as there are some that can be shaved to fit. They will also have some good lists of microfastener sellers.

Sorry if this is considered a necro (at least it was this year!), but I was looking into swapping a pin out on the pioneer for a bail or lanyard/fob hole. Hate that annoying, uncomfortable keyring...

It's doable, but definitely not easy. I've never looked for 3mm OD hollow tubing but I can't imagine it's readily available... and peening hollow tube sucks. Maybe find a used Wenger Soldat? In the 90s they used a hollow pin with a bail.

The pins are pretty thick stock, I bet you could take it into a machine shop and the could take a 2mm hole out through the center of the pin for a couple of bucks. If you had a drill press with a vice you could probably drill it yourself but if you still it *slightly* off center... then I'd happily buy your ruined knife for parts on the cheap ;P

Or just grind the keychain off and carry it like that

20180527_134929-1025x1760.jpg

It's doable, but definitely not easy. I've never looked for 3mm OD hollow tubing but I can't imagine it's readily available... and peening hollow tube sucks. Maybe find a used Wenger Soldat? In the 90s they used a hollow pin with a bail.

The pins are pretty thick stock, I bet you could take it into a machine shop and the could take a 2mm hole out through the center of the pin for a couple of bucks. If you had a drill press with a vice you could probably drill it yourself but if you still it *slightly* off center... then I'd happily buy your ruined knife for parts on the cheap ;P

View attachment 917621
Thanks for the reply. Definitely grinding off the key-ring loop. Just thought it would be a nice option to have a lanyard/bail given the size.

Machine shop prob the best bet based on your response and the others above, so I might give that a try. And if not, keep an eye out for ****ed Up Alox Pioneer for Cheap on the exchange :D

CAEAB523-23C5-4641-AB8B-882D33BB54BD.jpeg

View attachment 917621

These tubes are .125” diameter and have a #2X56TPI internal thread. The screws fit in the tube. No peening necessary.

No peening, but you have to drill out the hardened steel blades and springs to use those.

Back