Where can I find information on ceramic blades?

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to get information about ceramic blades? Never owned one but just wondered what they were like or if they are recommended for EDC. Please accept my apologies if I am in the wrong place.
Thank you,
ChoBro

Last edited:
Not a great EDC unless you are a gentle user and a fantastically gifted sharpener with some power equipment. There is some talk of hand sharpening them on bench stones but not easy.

The one I posted photos of below serves a Gentelman's day off sort of role but I wouldn't carry it as my only work EDC for sure.

I like this thread. A bit old and nothing happening right now but a good read.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...r-SC-16WB-ceramic-knife?highlight=paper+wheel

Oh and here’s a photo of a knife I like quite a lot; design, materials (Ti handle).
A Boker with black ceramic blade.

The factory edges are bad and I don't have a clue how to sharpen them without specialized equipment (diamond belts)

The have horrible toughness and have to be babied and repairs are a nighmare.

Tom from Jendi Industries has a video of himself shaving his head with a ceramic knife but that not with a factory edge.

I give ceramic knives two thumbs down.

Steel is the King

thanks for all the info. Don't think I'm interested in ceramic anymore.
ChoBro

There is Kyocera ,the best , and many sub-standard Chinese ceramic blades ! While Kyocera is the best it's still ceramic and needs careful use because of it's brittleness. Sharpening is not for most people as any scratches will start a fracture .
I would limit use to the kitchen and send back to Kyocera to sharpen.

There are diamond belts available for the work sharp that are giving me great results on some cheap ceramic kitchen knives

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Inheard you could sharpen them with a flat hard surface and certain types of sandpaper. Maybe a diamond sandpaper? I hate to think how long you would be grinding the stuff though. In the end I guess it's like g10 or carbon fibre blades, has its uses but steel is better.

Back