Where the snark is the snark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you leave 13 eggs in the nest, one will go broody

Can you guarantee that in writing? ;)

Either way, I'll let my wife know that is the recommendation. We've got 6 laying boxes, but they all seem to want to use either one of the 2 on the ends...a few in the middle boxes every once in a while, but they regularly line up for the 2. I've seen one sitting in a box with two others trying to force her out to take their turn...

Edit: and since we just hit page 50, I might add ibtl...

Getting close to the end of this one. I do not have any chickens to talk about, unfortunately (or fortunately?).

If I so chose, I could be deep in the mountains in less than an hours' driving, at a sandy beach in less than 3 hours' driving, in a freakishly dry desert in less than 3 hours' driving, or in the only temperate rain forest in the world in under 4 hours' driving.

but in reality it's hard to get away because there's nothing closer than that, being surrounded by cities and towns.

Went to order the H&B forge hawk, then I realized they're hand forged so they might be made-to-order. Sure enough I saw a disclaimer on the bottom of the page warning of a 3-4 (up to 12) week wait time. Nothing wrong with that except I probably won't be at this address in 12 weeks, so I'll wait to get one of those until after I move. For now I think I'll order me a Rinaldi hadn axe from 42blades, they're similar in size and construction to a hawk but with a 23" handle. I'm still mulling over a few options.

42b was out of the hand axe I wanted so I dumped $100 on a CS viking hand axe and some forged hawks on the river. Not familiar with the brand of hawk but I made sure I had fulfillment through them vs a third party so I could return it easily if need be.

Either way, I'll let my wife know that is the recommendation. We've got 6 laying boxes, but they all seem to want to use either one of the 2 on the ends...a few in the middle boxes every once in a while, but they regularly line up for the 2. I've seen one sitting in a box with two others trying to force her out to take their turn...

Could you separate the boxes so they are side by side, 3 banks of 2?
This way each one will be on an end and might limit the bickering.

Oh, ibtl.

Went to order the H&B forge hawk, then I realized they're hand forged so they might be made-to-order. Sure enough I saw a disclaimer on the bottom of the page warning of a 3-4 (up to 12) week wait time. Nothing wrong with that except I probably won't be at this address in 12 weeks, so I'll wait to get one of those until after I move. For now I think I'll order me a Rinaldi hadn axe from 42blades, they're similar in size and construction to a hawk but with a 23" handle. I'm still mulling over a few options.

If you look around there are a number of retailers who usually have them in stock. I bought mine from Dave canturbarrys store, ended up paying an extra $10-15 so I didn't have to wait

If you look around there are a number of retailers who usually have them in stock. I bought mine from Dave canturbarrys store, ended up paying an extra $10-15 so I didn't have to wait

Wait... You mean that place I drive by twice a day has these in stock? Hmmmmmm.....

The guy at the feed store told me that...then my hen hatched 11, one dead in the nest and one unhatched...I had no idea how many she was sitting on when I told him I had a broody hen. I'd just come back from vacation and she was sitting on them.

IBTL!

Could you separate the boxes so they are side by side, 3 banks of 2?
This way each one will be on an end and might limit the bickering.

Oh, ibtl.

I have 6 boxes...they all use the same one, even after I clear the eggs. If you put an egg or golf ball in another, they'll use it...fakeout!

ETA: they use to use the furthest nest from the door...the feed store fella told me that trick, now they use the closest one and I always leave one egg in that one.

It's sad tho...he just put his place up for sale and he's shutting down. I pass it on the way home, he carries quality feed, such a nice guy, and he gets a nice selection of chicks every April....

IBTL

I've been waiting for a snarknado title...Snarknado Four...There's No Snark Like Home

Or something like that...

We just survived that big storm thats been terrorizing the south and Midwest...just got power back about 20 mins ago...tons of tornado warnings... No snarknados tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back