Where to buy Benchmade Axis Lock Spring???

The Axis Lock spring in my beloved Benchmade 860 Bedlam (manual) snapped last night! :(:(:( :’(

Looking online for the part I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Every forums of the same issues by others suggests to send it back to Benchmade to be repaired.

The problem is I am located in Canada, so due to the recent revelations of border regulations, I doubt I will be able to get it back across even though this knife is totally legal here.

DESPERATELY searching for a solution; this is my absolute undisputed favourite knife, never looked at another knife the way I look at the Bedlam, from the moment I saw it ‘twas love at first slice.

Either where they sell the parts or where or how I can make one or where to get the supplies etc anything would help! Would rather be able to buy the part I hope

Thanks!

EDIT: Also wanted to know if there were different size axis springs for different size knives, or do all Benchmade Axis Lock knives use the exact same spring?

Last edited:
Have you tried calling Benchmade and explaining your situation?

No I haven’t, I just assumed that they would probably just insist that sending it there is the only method, but you’re right it would be a good idea to give them a call about it, doesn’t hurt to try I guess right?

I will try in the morning and see what they say, thanks for your input!

40540409-9F83-444D-86F7-992869BD3E3E.jpeg
Oh that poor thing, so wounded she is, retreating to a dark corner, all curled up in the depths of her shelter.

How it hurts my heart to witness my beloved in agony...

Lol jk haha. Not really jk though :D To have your favourite knife broken we all know how that feels (lucky for those who don’t)

Benchmade in my experience is pretty precious about their little parts. I was told that if I bought a spare blue spacer for my 710 that they would void my warranty. I said fine, void my warranty. They would not sell me the spacer.
Funny little company. Good thing I have a metal lathe and can make my own
G__ D____ spacers.

The Axis Lock spring in my beloved Benchmade 860 Bedlam (manual) snapped last night! :(:(:( :’(

Looking online for the part I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Every forums of the same issues by others suggests to send it back to Benchmade to be repaired.

The problem is I am located in Canada, so due to the recent revelations of border regulations, I doubt I will be able to get it back across even though this knife is totally legal here.

DESPERATELY searching for a solution; this is my absolute undisputed favourite knife, never looked at another knife the way I look at the Bedlam, from the moment I saw it ‘twas love at first slice.

Either where they sell the parts or where or how I can make one or where to get the supplies etc anything would help! Would rather be able to buy the part I hope

Thanks!

EDIT: Also wanted to know if there were different size axis springs for different size knives, or do all Benchmade Axis Lock knives use the exact same spring?

Ok I have 3 solutions for you.

1: See if Benchmade will send you the Omega springs so you can fix it yourself.

2: explain the border situation to Benchmade. Then ask them if it is ok for you to pull the blade of the knife and send them just the handle. There should be no problem getting just the handle back across the border.

3: buy some guitar string and bend your own omega springs out of that.

Wilkins offers Axis springs he calls torsion lock springs, for grips, so they would be lighter for blue class. I've also seen them at the bay (along with 10 feet of surplus piano wire for about 4 bucks -you will need ~0.28" to stay near OEM). Currently site is down:
https://wilkinsknives.bigcartel.com/product/torsion-lock-springs
Found ip, lookup, whois, and registration / use stats suggest "down for maintenance" true.

A6145994-A370-4CDA-9BF2-FB0048B21FBC.jpeg I don’t know if the Omega springs come in different sizes, but I was surprised to learn that some springs push and some springs pull the lock bar.
I have never broken an Omega spring, but I have had to remove extensive rust from them.

All of mine are like the one on the right, including the spring stop hole not a wrapping pin, what model is on the left?

I just screen shot the picture in a repair thread. I don’t know what the left knife is. It may not even be a Benchmade.

Send it in and give it a spa day.

They will do much more than replace the spring. They will take it apart and give it a deep cleaning.

Take the clip off and it will come back with a new one.

If you don’t want it sharpened by them, say so on the form and I’d put painter’s tape over the edge.

Ok I have 3 solutions for you.

1: See if Benchmade will send you the Omega springs so you can fix it yourself.

2: explain the border situation to Benchmade. Then ask them if it is ok for you to pull the blade of the knife and send them just the handle. There should be no problem getting just the handle back across the border.

3: buy some guitar string and bend your own omega springs out of that.

Oh yes sending just the handle is a great idea why didn’t I think of that?

Very intelligent suggestion I think that’s probably the most viable way. Thank you so much, I really was stuck at a dead end

Oh yes sending just the handle is a great idea why didn’t I think of that?

Very intelligent suggestion I think that’s probably the most viable way. Thank you so much, I really was stuck at a dead end

Glad I could help.

Just confirm with Benchmade that is ok ahead of time.

Send it in and give it a spa day.

They will do much more than replace the spring. They will take it apart and give it a deep cleaning.

Take the clip off and it will come back with a new one.

If you don’t want it sharpened by them, say so on the form and I’d put painter’s tape over the edge.

Oh really wow I didn’t know they did all that as well when you sent it in, sounds like great customer care they have. I knew that they sharpened it and all, but not the other stuff like cleaning and replacing screws.

Some of the coating on my screws are kind of worn out and one of Phillips holes have totally been worn out can barely get the screwdriver to turn it, perhaps they could replace those as well.

Im thinking now probably sending the knife disassembled or even just requesting it to be sent back disassembled would be the best option, could use a nice clean and sharpening as well.

And now that I think of it, those border agents will NEVER be able to put back together this knife with that pesky axis lock thats next to impossible to assemble hahaha

Oh really wow I didn’t know they did all that as well when you sent it in, sounds like great customer care they have. I knew that they sharpened it and all, but not the other stuff like cleaning and replacing screws.

Some of the coating on my screws are kind of worn out and one of Phillips holes have totally been worn out can barely get the screwdriver to turn it, perhaps they could replace those as well.

Im thinking now probably sending the knife disassembled or even just requesting it to be sent back disassembled would be the best option, could use a nice clean and sharpening as well.

And now that I think of it, those border agents will NEVER be able to put back together this knife with that pesky axis lock thats next to impossible to assemble hahaha

I still wouldn’t send the blade. The only way I feel 100% safe about a knife getting across the border is if the blade and handle are sent in two seperate packages.

I would just take the blade out by unscrewing the pivot. Then stick the pivot and washers back in with no blade.

They’ll dis and reassemble it for you.

Benchmade in my experience is pretty precious about their little parts. I was told that if I bought a spare blue spacer for my 710 that they would void my warranty. I said fine, void my warranty. They would not sell me the spacer.
Funny little company. Good thing I have a metal lathe and can make my own
G__ D____ spacers.

Oh yes that is what I have heard as well. So I doubt they would be willing to send me the part and do it myself -_-

I still wouldn’t send the blade. The only way I feel 100% safe about a knife getting across the border is if the blade and handle are sent in two seperate packages.

I would just take the blade out by unscrewing the pivot. Then stick the pivot and washers back in with no blade.

They’ll dis and reassemble it for you.

If you send the knife in, in 2 packages, Canadian Customs will not see either package. When the assembled knife comes back to Cananda, it will be impounded as a dangerous weapon. I don’t think Benchmade would be willing to ship the knife back in 2 packages. They don’t trust their customers to do assembly work. So ship the handle, and hang unto the blade.

If you send the knife in, in 2 packages, Canadian Customs will not see either package. When the assembled knife comes back to Cananda, it will be impounded as a dangerous weapon. I don’t think Benchmade would be willing to ship the knife back in 2 packages. They don’t trust their customers to do assembly work. So ship the handle, and hang unto the blade.

No I mean when I have a knife shipped to me into canada I have it shipped in two packages. The blade in one package and the handle in the other.

I was saying that shipping the whole knife to benchmade then asking for them to ship it back disassembled may not be a guarantee that the knife gets past customs.

Back