Where To Find A Emerson

Seems there are no Emerson's in stock anywhere? Anyone know why, other that Covid playing a part? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.....

I think they were going to start selling direct. I saw it somewhere on the Emerson FB group a few months back.

Nevermind found a quote. Direct sales only. Anything left in stock with dealers will be sold and that's it.

Ernest Emerson quote copied and pasted below:

"Two big things have happened at Emerson Knives over that last year.

The first is that we have taken the final leap of faith as a manufacturing business.

We have transitioned into retail sales only. The only place you can now purchase a new Emerson Knife is directly from us. This was a huge decision for us and it was possible only because of the support from people like all of you, and it has given us the freedom to really steer the company in the direction that we want.

Then, as a result of this new “freedom” I realized that I needed to seriously evaluate our manufacturing process. It’s funny how many things become “institutionalized” after 30 years and they become “that’s the way we do it” rather than “this is the best way to do it.” I tore this company apart. It started with numbers and hours of data analysis and models before it finally hit the floor about two months ago. And it was brutal. I have been putting in almost 80 hours a week since last June to bring this to fruition. But it has paid off. We are now running so streamlined and efficiently that it seems like an entirely new company. We have the best crew we’ve ever had – all are true team players, and Rachael, Megan, Mary, Lucas and Danny have amazed me with their enthusiasm, expertise and efforts to make this possible.

As you can already see we have more knives, more models, more “special editions” and more new knives than we’ve ever had in the past. I hope you enjoy them.

This new reality has also given me the freedom and time I needed to do more of the projects that I’ve had to put on hold for the last couple of years.”

I've arisen from a years long hiatus to come here to ask this exact question...

That's really sad for all his retail partners especially the old ones that stuck by like Knife Center, BladeArt, Action Concepts, etc...
It's very intersting for those that have been a fan of EKI for awhile, may remember when he introduced "Prestige Dealers" which at the time was to control supply and also eliminate discounts. Prestige Dealers had to agree absolutely no discounts. I remember Action Concepts was one of the first Prestige Dealers and they did very well. I guess all those Prestige Dealers now got kicked to the curb?
I do wonder if sales are down enough that he can finally do this without the need to increase head count at his shop in order to get shipments out. No manufacturer should want to also be the sole retailer, just not efficient... but I guess "EKI is not your typical knife maker or manufacturer..." But there is a reason why manufacturers are not typically distributors, and also not typically retailers.
The goal of any business is to scale in size enough so that whatever you produce just goes out the door to the distributor at wholesale prices. The key is moving the entire lot so the manufacturer doesn't hold inventory or need staff hours to manage inventory. Of course if your pricing and demand is out of whack, you'll be sitting idle because retailers and distributors are not ordering. I wonder how much Covid affected them. I would suspect most of the "Brothers" fall into the population segment that didn't benefit much from the explosive capital gains over the last 2 years.
The odd thing with Emerson is I assume with this change, they will be filling a lot more retail orders than before, but will they need to hire more staff? Does the overall math add up? the additional labor cost vs the extra $50 per knife EKI is getting by cutting the middleman? I assume so.

Other concern is won't this restrict new collectors' access to his knives? We all know the current fan base is absolutely the most loyal and fervent of any brand but no one lives forever. As current fan base erode, how is he attracting new collectors if he's cutting off the entire retail network? What about local brick and mortar-- will those be stocked?
Definitely a lot of questions.
I just hope this short term money grab won't hurt the long term viability of the brand. For example, I was looking at the Overland Renegade on the EKI site which lists it for $270 for the G10 but add $60 so $330 for the Baklite scales. This is in comparison with one of his retailers KnifeCenter offering it for $250 or $270 for the bakelite version. That's a huge difference that EKI is now pocketing. No wonder...
But KnifeCenter has been a partner with him since he created the production Emerson Knives. Again, I wonder what happened to that relationship?... As if the current fan base, and green this and that wasn't already cornering themselves, this move must have alienated all the retail partners.
Are the custom balisongs currently up on KnifeCenter from last year's show, a parting gift for KnifeCenter?
I saw BladeHQ's message.
I see KnifeArt had a liquidation sale for 50% as if to retaliate.

I saw someone made a joke about his coffee. Is that really taking a lot of time and resources from the knives? Someone else already got away with the alt. coffee/lifestyle idea, its hard to imagine another one being successful.

Anyway I guess this is "cutting out the middlemen" and the amazing businessman that Ernie is has through it through. I'm sure. I just hope in the long term the brand can be viable. I'm saying all this because I like the brand and care obviously. I've been collecting EKI knives since 2010 and have amassed a huge collection. However I'm not a blind sheep...Can you imagine I voiced an alternative opinion at the green forum? lol

Last edited:
I've arisen from a years long hiatus to come here to ask this exact question...

That's really sad for all his retail partners especially the old ones that stuck by like Knife Center, BladeArt, Action Concepts, etc...
It's very intersting for those that have been a fan of EKI for awhile, may remember when he introduced "Prestige Dealers" which at the time was to control supply and also eliminate discounts. Prestige Dealers had to agree absolutely no discounts. I remember Action Concepts was one of the first Prestige Dealers and they did very well. I guess all those Prestige Dealers now got kicked to the curb?
I do wonder if sales are down enough that he can finally do this without the need to increase head count at his shop in order to get shipments out. No manufacturer should want to also be the sole retailer, just not efficient... but I guess "EKI is not your typical knife maker or manufacturer..." But there is a reason why manufacturers are not typically distributors, and also not typically retailers.
The goal of any business is to scale in size enough so that whatever you produce just goes out the door to the distributor at wholesale prices. The key is moving the entire lot so the manufacturer doesn't hold inventory or need staff hours to manage inventory. Of course if your pricing and demand is out of whack, you'll be sitting idle because retailers and distributors are not ordering. I wonder how much Covid affected them. I would suspect most of the "Brothers" fall into the population segment that didn't benefit much from the explosive capital gains over the last 2 years.
The odd thing with Emerson is I assume with this change, they will be filling a lot more retail orders than before, but will they need to hire more staff? Does the overall math add up? the additional labor cost vs the extra $50 per knife EKI is getting by cutting the middleman? I assume so.

Other concern is won't this restrict new collectors' access to his knives? We all know the current fan base is absolutely the most loyal and fervent of any brand but no one lives forever. As current fan base erode, how is he attracting new collectors if he's cutting off the entire retail network? What about local brick and mortar-- will those be stocked?
Definitely a lot of questions.
I just hope this short term money grab won't hurt the long term viability of the brand. For example, I was looking at the Overland Renegade on the EKI site which lists it for $270 for the G10 but add $60 so $330 for the Baklite scales. This is in comparison with one of his retailers KnifeCenter offering it for $250 or $270 for the bakelite version. That's a huge difference that EKI is now pocketing. No wonder...
But KnifeCenter has been a partner with him since he created the production Emerson Knives. Again, I wonder what happened to that relationship?... As if the current fan base, and green this and that wasn't already cornering themselves, this move must have alienated all the retail partners.
Are the custom balisongs currently up on KnifeCenter from last year's show, a parting gift for KnifeCenter?
I saw BladeHQ's message.
I see KnifeArt had a liquidation sale for 50% as if to retaliate.

I saw someone made a joke about his coffee. Is that really taking a lot of time and resources from the knives? Someone else already got away with the alt. coffee/lifestyle idea, its hard to imagine another one being successful.

Anyway I guess this is "cutting out the middlemen" and the amazing businessman that Ernie is has through it through. I'm sure. I just hope in the long term the brand can be viable. I'm saying all this because I like the brand and care obviously. I've been collecting EKI knives since 2010 and have amassed a huge collection. However I'm not a blind sheep...Can you imagine I voiced an alternative opinion at the green forum? lol
Same for me! Loooong hiatus and I’m wondering where the heck to get an Emerson… guess I know know.
Now I get to overpay! Yeet!

Same for me! Loooong hiatus and I’m wondering where the heck to get an Emerson… guess I know know.
Now I get to overpay! Yeet!

Really long for you! see you in 5 years! ha

Did anyone catch the Specwar quick run that went on sale at 1:30 today. I saw it at 8 and was already all gone!

They never have enough for sale on the website imho. Certain models but a ton of sold out models too. just sayin. stay safe

Back