Where to find Carpenters Hatchet Replacement Handle?

me2

I inherited my grandfather's old carpenters hatchet a bit ago. The handle was rotted and came off shortly after I got it. Anyone know where to get one? I've tries the usual places like Lowe's or Home Depot to no avail.

Hi. May I suggest always trying your local mom & pop hardware stores, then hit the true value, or Aubechon...not sure where you are and who may be in your area as a chain.
Many online sellers of handles, just be sure you measure twice before ordering.

Can we see a picture of the eye?

A lot of these will take a rigger's axe handle. I've been finding some really good ones at Do-It-Center. They have DIC labels but they're made by somebody else - I suspect at Vaughan & Bushnell's Arkansas plant because they look like Vaughan handles to me.

Other than that you can find pretty much any handle you need at House Handle's online store.

Can we see a picture of the eye?

A lot of these will take a rigger's axe handle. I've been finding some really good ones at Do-It-Center. They have DIC labels but they're made by somebody else - I suspect at Vaughan & Bushnell's Arkansas plant because they look like Vaughan handles to me.

Other than that you can find pretty much any handle you need at House Handle's online store.
Yep, a riggers axe / California framer handle.
Even if he's talking about a single bevel broad or hewing hatchet most handles come fat enough that you can just rasp one side flat to fit the non-concentric eye these have.

Riggers handle will fit but the eye will be plenty fat and the haft will also be longer. Some of the handles for the california framers will also work as long as they are straight hafts and they come in shorter lengths also.
The lumber yards around here carry a good selection of handles. I would take the head in with me.

Back