Where to from here?

After months of rabid hunting and buying, I find myself with pretty much the whole catalogue and am wondering where others in similar situations have gone to appease their knife habits. Other manufacturers, customs or knifemaking?

Good question, Ferret. I've noticed that another knife maker has come out with a "Custom Knife Shop" option in their catalogue. Me thinks it could be a good idea for Spyderco, too. You know, you pick your own blade steel, finish, handle material, inlay,...even engraving....and it's built custom for you. They use a graphical interface so you can see how your knife will look...step by step. Interesting idea. What do you think, Sal ?
smile.gif
Is this an idea that might be feasible in the future?

An excellent idea, if only because it would make customising so much easier (much easier than ripping off G10 rivetted scales etc). With you 100% on this one - it might also help all those, myself included, who keep asking for different coloured scales, etc
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Ferret (edited 05-08-2000).]

Ferret - As you mention, there are other makers, customs require some thought; by maker, or style, etc.

There are also older models to chase, aftermarket variations are also about.

Lokelani - Do you know anyone that has actually purchased one of these "custom" pieces and what their opinions were?

sal

From rememory, I think Delta-Z are doing that sort of thing. Oh, and I'm chasing those rarities
wink.gif

I think your most thrilling option will be to enter the exciting world of discount knife sales. If you decide to go this route, I'll be in touch quicker than Sal pulls a Spyderco.
wink.gif

------------------
Guyon
AKTI Member #A001044

"The hardest knife ill used doth lose his edge."
-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 95

Ferret, you know there is a very simple answer to your dilemma. Just give all your Spydies to me and start all over again. You can be sure they will be well looked after. We can start the transfer this weekend if you like
biggrin.gif
, maybe the Lum and the Herbst to start with
tongue.gif

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Sal~ Have not seen one of these custom knives as yet. Just received the new 2000 catalogue making this option available. Thought it was an entertaining idea. I'm sure there would be a lot of work involved with such a venture,....mostly via the internet.

My rememory improves - I think Laguiole and Emerson do the custom shop thing also.

Speedtech does something similar, though not with handle materials anymore or inlays. You might want to talk with people who've had experiences in that company or the people from the company itself.

------------------
Simon Yu

"I look at it this way. If things get much worse I'll be too dead to care."

Back