Where's the Shaman buzz?

BMCGear

Gold Member
I'm considering picking a Shaman up. I haven't seen much on here about it though? If you have one what do you think?

I'm considering picking a Shaman up. I haven't seen much on here about it though? If you have one what do you think?

It’s outstanding, it’s a hefty five ounce folder with great geometry. There fit is great and a level of detail that sets it apart, it has a polished blade tang for the detent to roll on.

The nearly FFG high saber grind with distal taper and stonewash is a great compromise between EDC tasks and hard use.

I really hope they sell a lot of Shamans so Sal and Crew will consider a sprint in something a little more exotic than S30V (Carbon Fiber and Cruwear?:D)

It’s a great blade and works equally well as a companion blade cutting irrigation hose with gloved hands as it does opening packages at work:thumbsup:

It’s outstanding, it’s a hefty five ounce folder with great geometry. There fit is great and a level of detail that sets it apart, it has a polished blade tang for the detent to roll on.

The nearly FFG high saber grind with distal taper and stonewash is a great compromise between EDC tasks and hard use.

I really hope they sell a lot of Shamans so Sal and Crew will consider a sprint in something a little more exotic than S30V (Carbon Fiber and Cruwear?:D)

It’s a great blade and works equally well as a companion blade cutting irrigation hose with gloved hands as it does opening packages at work:thumbsup:
I kind of feel obligated to buy one just for this reason and will add M4 + any handle to the mix with Curwear + CF.

Last edited:
I am waiting for the sprint runs. Anything but S30V for me. Curious which steel, materials they will do first. Rooting for 52100 or M4 with CF scales. That would be very sweet.

I spent a great deal of time developing the design. More than 2 years and many protos, textures, etc. We used S30V to make other more exotic materials available. On the "other" forum, the Shaman discussion thread has requested S90V & Carbon Fiber. Sounds good to me.

sal

Sal, thank you for chiming in. I've always liked the Native in design and this knife takes the size up a notch which is why it's a contender for my cash; I love carrying a large folder.

I'm sure there will be different variations; my vote would be for M390, 204P, 20cv (all similar, I know) or XHP even.

I hope the design is a winner and you sell a ton of them!

How does it carry in pocket?

I love the design! My only gripe is it’s weight. I like the serrated version so much I went ahead and ordered a plain edge version as well. It’s a truly exceptional folder, easily in my Top 5 of all time. I’m hoping for a dark gray and Cruwear version down the line.

I spent a great deal of time developing the design. More than 2 years and many protos, textures, etc. We used S30V to make other more exotic materials available. On the "other" forum, the Shaman discussion thread has requested S90V & Carbon Fiber. Sounds good to me.

sal
S90v is great steel but... It's not a hard use steel like M4 or cruware in my experience. Great for slicers for edge retention. This knife seems more like a beater than a slicer. I'd rather have the steel match the function.

S90v is great steel but... It's not a hard use steel like M4 or cruware in my experience. Great for slicers for edge retention. This knife seems more like a beater than a slicer. I'd rather have the steel match the function.

I would also prefer a tougher steel like M4 or Cruwear to S90V :thumbsup::D

Reactions: Mo2
I hadn’t thought of Elmax, it’s tough for stainless and they have used it in the Lionspy

Yep, I have 2 folders that I've used quite a lot in Elmax, Para2 and ZT0562, and I'm really impressed with the stuff. My completely amateur view, Elmax is what S30V wanted to be in terms of a balance between edge retention, ease of sharpening and toughness.

I want to pick one up eventually, I think I am holding out for one of those fancy hip steels that I dont really need because s30v would be more than enough for my use. I do like the looks of the contoured g10, I bet its super comfortable in the hand.

I think it is very cool that the owner of a company personally invests his time in developing a product to such high standards. It shows a real passion that really shines through in the end product. Mr. Glesser's knife designs are always great users. I really enjoyed the Native 5 until i gifted it to a friend. I always thought a slightly larger Native5 would be so nice. i was thinking more along the lines of a 7/32" to 1/4" increase in usable edge. i found the Native5 usable edge length to be too short for several tasks although very usable for most. For me, even the usable length of the Delica would have been nice; and i know it is a very small difference, but it made all of the difference for me when cutting apples. All in all i find the Native5 to be one of the best overall knife desgins and i think it is a great value, but i do not intend on buying the shaman. Also, i really like s30v, especially the way Spyderco does it, so i do notmfind that to be a detractor.

Back