Where's the Shaman buzz?

I might snatch one in S30v, although I'd be obliged to buy one in natural G-10 or otherwise and M4.

Reactions: Mo2
I might snatch one in S30v, although I'd be obliged to buy one in natural G-10 or otherwise and M4.

It might take a while, I think even the Native 5’s S35VN would have been a better choice.
I carried mine for a move and cut quite a few zip ties since then and S30V has proven to be tough enough for everything I’ve needed so far. I think we do get overly concerned with toughness :thumbsup:

It might take a while, I think even the Native 5’s S35VN would have been a better choice.
I carried mine for a move and cut quite a few zip ties since then and S30V has proven to be tough enough for everything I’ve needed so far. I think we do get overly concerned with toughness :thumbsup:
I've had chunks chip out of my Paramilitary 2's edge from pretty soft zip ties before. Maybe I got a really hard example but I've never had the edge even roll on it once, only chipping.

Now that I have carried it for over a week I am liking it even more than I did when I first got. I don't mind the S30V but I would like it even more in M390. I find M390 easier to sharpen than S30V and it takes a high polish on my KME with a lot less work. I didn't even need to strop it. I tested it doing push cuts and it was no problem. When I sharpen S30V It takes more grits to achieve the same results.

My all time favorite knife is the PM2. I also very much like the manix2.

My question is, will I like the Shaman? Is this a knife that will make me stop carrying my PM2?

My question is, will I like the Shaman? Is this a knife that will make me stop carrying my PM2?

It has taken over my pocket ever since its release, its an excellent knife.

I’m waiting for it to be available in s110v or cruwear, it really looks like a giant leap forward from the native.

Has anyone gotten one with a flush backspacer? Wondering if they've made a change to that (yet)

I keep eyeing this one, eventually I’ll probably just give into temptation. I just hope when I do, this beast is offered in cmp 3v.

Picked one up a couple of weeks ago, been carrying it since, my EDC since then has been the S110V Manix 2 LW. The Shaman is so damn good that I just don't care about the weight.

Has anyone gotten one with a flush backspacer? Wondering if they've made a change to that (yet)

Nope, mine is also offset. Pretty sure it was designed that way.

...so I gave in to temptation.

I really want a sprint in Cruwear or 3V, but I have a feeling we’ll see a pricy CF S90V sprint first, so it might be a while before we see others. A standard production version will be a good care-free user.

Last edited:
Mine arrived earlier today, and it is pretty much flawless.

It is practically the same size as the PM2 / Manix, but it has a presence and heft that just makes it feel much larger and more serious. Interesting enough, the handle is just as thick as the G10 Manix. I really like the smoother and rounded G10 scales, the ergos, the stonewash and the typical compression lock action. Well done Spyderco. :thumbsup:

Here are a few comparison pics:

Tuff vs Shaman:

Manix vs Shaman:

It strikes a very good balance between practical size, great ergos and capability for harder use. It is still early days, but I think it is practical enough to be a very good EDC for someone who needs a sturdy knife.

That said, the Tuff remains the alpha-male...

Last edited:
I...can’t get over how much I love this knife. I’m kind of speechless. I need to think about it for a while and then I’ll post more thoughts but...wow

I...can’t get over how much I love this knife. I’m kind of speechless. I need to think about it for a while and then I’ll post more thoughts but...wow

I was surprised too. It’s going to be a good Sprint/Exclusive candidate for years to come.

I really like mine but it came extremely tight. After a couple days it smoothed out a touch but it opened sluggishly. I moved the pivot a fraction of a fraction and now my Pm2’s are jealous of how buttery smooth it operates. The Shaman is one of my favorite purchases of 2017.

I’m getting real close to ordering one before new map! A comparison with the tuff, my cc is gonna burn up!

Back