Which Becker for building a bow?

Last summer I got into traditional archery and I'm going to be getting my hunting license shorty. That said I thought it would be amazing to be able to hunt and to harvest an animal with a bow I've made myself. After some (a lot) of research I stumbled upon a YouTube video where someone made a bow with just a knife. https://youtu.be/JFTPxK2X0NA/[URL]I... bow. Thanks in advance for everyones advice

I'd suggest a bk4. Best Becker draw Knife hands down. Dontbbe intimidated by its shape. It's smaller in hand than it looks in the pics. Very reasonably priced as well since its been discontinued. You'll be surprised how handy it is for smaller tasks as well. It's a purpose designed Blade, not a sole purpose of chopping as it looks, but multipurpose in ergos and shape. Highly recommended. Hope others chime in with the same as I'd love to see a bow built by a 4!

I'd suggest a bk4. Best Becker draw Knife hands down. Dontbbe intimidated by its shape. It's smaller in hand than it looks in the pics. Very reasonably priced as well since its been discontinued. You'll be surprised how handy it is for smaller tasks as well. It's a purpose designed Blade, not a sole purpose of chopping as it looks, but multipurpose in ergos and shape. Highly recommended. Hope others chime in with the same as I'd love to see a bow built by a 4!

^ this!
My dad got a bk4 for Christmas, and lemme tell ya, is it sweet! (Wanna get my mits on my own!) He loves it and he's not even a Becker guy!
Bushcraft style blades are seriously overplayed. If you get a bk4 (did we mention they're going extinct?) you'll have Ethan Becker's original do-it-all design. Like NC says its more like a "large small knife" than a "big knife", if that makes sense...
I can't imagine it not doing everything a beginning boyer would need.
Hope that's helpful bud. Either way, you'd better show us pics of your bow carving! ;)

Thanks for all the quick replies. I appreciate it. I hadn't given any thought to the BK4 yet but I'll have to start watching reviews on it. The plan is to use this knife to chop down a small tree, season the wood for at least 6 months and build my bow by the end of the year. I'll definitely post pics along the way. Any thoughts on the BK9 and any pics on projects made with the 4?

Thanks

The Best Chopper and Believe Ethan and A Gentleman called Hank Reinhart Like These
Also just released the BK21, Can't seem to land 1 but

These will hold me over till I do

The 21 is the Titan of Beckers...
It's a "nightstand knife" and just as suited for frolicking in the woods...
I call her Julia.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I appreciate it. I hadn't given any thought to the BK4 yet but I'll have to start watching reviews on it. The plan is to use this knife to chop down a small tree, season the wood for at least 6 months and build my bow by the end of the year. I'll definitely post pics along the way. Any thoughts on the BK9 and any pics on projects made with the 4?

Thanks

I use my 9 for just about everything when I'm out camping (my other knives get real jealous), and it makes a great draw knife as well as a better chopper than the 4 IMO (sweet spot is larger and it weighs more). That being said the 4 is better with the fine work and probably a better draw knife than the 9, the curve makes for a nice fine working space that's not as tall as the 9's high sabre grind and slightly curved for better use with rounded objects.

I'd probably go for a 4 if building a bow, but the 9 for building a shelter and other larger creations.

Do keep in mind for your considerations that the 2 is a quarter inch thick slab of steel. That's not to say that it can't do detailed work (it can- Warrior has whittled toothpicks with his to prove that point) but it's thick and heavy, and you're probably right in your thought that it wouldn't be long enough to use as a draw knife.

I like long blades as impromptu draw knives... my 18 inch Tramontina machete makes a pretty decent one IMHO...

The Good afternoon everyone,

Thanks again for all the replies.

I've watch several (100) videos on the BK4 and other similar shaped knives and after going back and forth my finger is on the trigger for this bad boy. I just want to see it before firing. It seems to suit my needs perfectly. Now only if it could skin game lol. I guess I'll just have to get a BK13 but I have read good things about the dozier for skinning.

Can anyone give me any insight on what to expect from the sheath and what customizations (pics) they've done to it.

I don't think I want to piggyback a skinning knife on it as I want a skinth mondo for my leatherman surge that should be able to hold the dozier or BK13.

I guess I could skin game with the surge but we can always use another knife.

Thanks,
WM

The "patiently" waiting is over.

7f74a916cf5cada05e4a93137dc63109.jpg

Now fingers crossed the weather is good so I can get out with the wife and kids to find some wood. The wife and I found a spot a few weeks ago on the escarpment and a sign made reference to hickory. The problem was the trees weren't properly labelled so I couldn't spot the hickory. I'm very treelexic. I also hadn't received Bogi ( http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384201 ) yet and despite having one of the largest Leathermans (surge) it still would have been a chore to get the needed wood.

I'm very thankful to everyone who recommended the machax. I had never given this blade a thought before you and after many google searches, tube vids and after holder the knife in my hands can see the "Evil" genius in it's design. It it incredibly balanced in my hand, shaving sharps and begs to be used.

The only thing I have a problem with is the scabbard in the front pouch. I had to start another post to figure out what to put in it or do with it.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384897

Thanks again and I think I'll start a new post with reference here for the build along/ wood scavenger hunt and all my other machax shenanigans!

W.M.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

It's awesome that you succeeded to build a bow by yourself. I also tried to make it by myself when I was smaller, but I always a failure. I remember how I was trying to make a bow from some branches and a string which I had taken from my father. I think that since my childhood I wanted to hunt. Now I am going hunting at least twice per month with my friends or family. Even if I hunt more with rifles, sometimes I also hunt with my bow, it's more interesting to hunt with a bow, but also it's harder. Now I want to try to hunt only with my bow for a month, but first I must buy some string silencers. I have seen a lot of interesting models on hibipod.com, but can't choose the best one. Can you help me?

Last edited:
Back