Recommendation? Which Buck 110?

Fixall

Brian
Dealer / Materials Provider
My Great Grandfather carried a Buck 110 for almost 25 years. It was in the pocket of his USMC dress blues the day he was buried. He loved that knife. It was also one of the very first knives I ever lusted over (the first being a hollow handled, “Rambo” Bowie knife of course).

I’m getting a Buck 110. No question.

Now the part where YOU come in. Which Buck 110 should I get?! It’s not a knife I would likely carry very often so I would only like to purchase one. I would also like to eventually pass it down as an heirloom in the (hopefully) distant future.

As long as it’s under $150, I am indifferent when it comes to the price.

So far in deciding between;

DLT Trading Exclusive - S35VN, Green Canvas Micarta, Stainless Bolster, Pewter Inlay.

DLT Trading Exclusive - S35VN, Black Linen Micarta, Nickel-Silver Bolster, Pewter Inlay.

Buck 110 Hunter Pro - S30V, Black G10, Nickel-Silver Bolster.

Buck 110 Ultimate Hunter - S30V, Rosewood, Nickel-Silver Bolster, Pewter Inlay.

Buck Custom Knife Shop 110 - S30V, Ironwood, Brass Bolster.

So what do you all think!?

*Updated with pictures of the BEAUTIFUL Buck 110 oak and 5160 I decided to go with (more about that further in the thread) per the recommendation of W W.M.B. . I'll be sure to post some better pics when I am able to put the 110 to use! Thanks again everyone! <3

YumLh4h.jpg

h57Xe1i.jpg

AFOJuhi.jpg

mLsrp1T.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a Buck 110 guy, but I do like S30V and ironwood is beautiful. So that one gets my vote.

Why not get the (I am assuming) “plain Jane” version that your grandad carried to set aside? Then, I would get one of the ones above that you like the best and carry it! I personally like the spear point 5160 carbon steel version that are around the most, you might want to look those up too.

I'd go with this:

"Buck Custom Knife Shop 110 - S30V, Ironwood, Brass Bolster."

However if you are asking my preferences I'd get nickel silver bolsters instead of brass. Other than that it's set. Nothing wrong with brass, I like all NS better on any knife.

First of all a big Semper Fi to your Great Grandfather. I’m with Ernie on this one, a plain Jane works for me since the heirloom is made by stories of its use, who carried it and who it gets passed down to. But since you have a list, I’d probably go for the Ironwood and brass.

Why not get the (I am assuming) “plain Jane” version that your grandad carried to set aside? Then, I would get one of the ones above that you like the best and carry it! I personally like the spear point 5160 carbon steel version that are around the most, you might want to look those up too.

Oops!

I actually meant to list the standard Buck 110 in my original post as one of the choices and forgot! I think his was a 440C and not a 440HC though.

I'd go with this:

"Buck Custom Knife Shop 110 - S30V, Ironwood, Brass Bolster."

However if you are asking my preferences I'd get nickel silver bolsters instead of brass. Other than that it's set. Nothing wrong with brass, I like all NS better on any knife.

Personally, I prefer the look of the nickel-silver bolsters too. The only reason I was thinking of going with brass is for the classic look and so it would look a bit more like what my Great Grandfather carried.

First of all a big Semper Fi to your Great Grandfather. I’m with Ernie on this one, a plain Jane works for me since the heirloom is made by stories of its use, who carried it and who it gets passed down to. But since you have a list, I’d probably go for the Ironwood and brass.

Thanks! He was a hell of a man and I’m thankful I was lucky enough to have had so much time with him. He worked for the NRO after the Navy and Marines. The stuff he must have seen in his lifetime...

Very good point about the stories and use making the knife an heirloom! I typically carry knives with blades that are 3” or under, but it looks like I’ll have to a find some reasons to get some carry time in with the 110!

Right now I’m leaning towards and standard 110 or the Ironwood custom.

Last edited:
The first knife I ever owned and carried on a regular basis was the Buck 110. I was 16 yrs old when I bought it and carried it for about 10 years daily. Life was not kind to it (read - I foolishly abused it in every way). And yet even now it locks solid as a vault door with zero play. fullsizeoutput_4bb.jpegfullsizeoutput_4ba.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4bd.jpegfullsizeoutput_4b9.jpeg
That was 45 years ago.

If you want a 3” blade with the feel of a 110 take a look at the 112.

Haha, don’t get me started again. I’ve been going back and forth between the 110 and the 112 for the last three months or so. I finally decided on the 110 since it’s more of a collector piece for me and won’t be carried a ton (so size and weight won’t matter)... And because to me, the 110 just feels like more of an homage to my Great Grandpa.

The first knife I ever owned and carried on a regular basis was the Buck 110. I was 16 yrs old when I bought it and carried it for about 10 years daily. Life was not kind to it (read - I foolishly abused it in every way). And yet even now it locks solid as a vault door with zero play.

That was 45 years ago.

I absolutely love this, thank you for sharing!

Last edited:
Ive been lusting over a 110 or 112 in 5160 with oak scales. I would have bought one if I could find one with the lock bar pin exposed. I know it wasn't on your list, but thought maybe you might like another option to consider.......altough that usually doesn't make the decision easier, i suppose. I have owned a 112 (lost it sadly) and a 110 (still going strong after a lot of use). both were the plain, inexpensive, available at your local sporting goods or big box store versions. I can say Ive never handled a 110 or 112 that wasn't a fantastic knife. heavy maybe, but a great knife. can't go wrong.

I suggest getting the standard 110. Then the recipients will be able to pass on one like Great G-Pa had.
You might consider getting the family name tastefully engraved on the blade.

I would get 2, a standard for day to day use, they are inexpensive and well made knives. Then I would get one from Bucks Custom Shop, they do a very nice job on their custom knives and it does not take that long, I think it took 6 weeks for this rams horn a few years ago.

IMG_2732.jpg

You really can't beat the custom shop. They do fantastic work and everything comes out beautifully for a good price. I love natural materials more than anything...but since I got the 110 pro I've had it on me everyday.

All the ones you've mentioned are pretty reasonably priced so maybe down the road you can get another if you like the first one. It's great to hear some 110 love :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Black G10 and NS would be snazzy.
Not a recommendation, as I'm not clear on your concept.

You could hit the used market for a 440C version just like your Granddad owned (they come up for sale in the Buck Sub-Forum classifieds regularly). Of the new ones you list I only own the Buck 110 Folding Hunter Pro (S30V) - I own a lot of Buck 110 Folding Hunters and this is the finest working Buck 110 I own - with G10 handles and brushed nickel bolsters it is a purely utilitarian knife - but of extreme quality. A picture of the standard 110 from 1988 back to 1968 - all pretty easily found for sale used and a picture of the Pro variation. OH
Ps I carry one daily for woods and hunting purposes - stays on the belt for 10 to 12 hours in it's sheath - it is not even noticeable.
Buck_110_1968-1988.jpg

Buck_110_Folding_Hunter_Pro_-_S30_V_-_2017.jpg

Interesting choices you have listed. I was thinking a used 440c but OH beat me to it. Although, my limited experience with 420HC has been favorable and might beat 440c in a EDC ie good balance between edge retention and sharpenability IMO. Either way, brass and wood is the way I'd go given the mission you've outlined.

Good luck!

If you wanna go with a classic 110 try to find a nice three dot version. They have 440c Bos heat treated; heard they have pivot bushings too. Best part is their thickness which reached a maximum on this variation; nice feel in the hand.

Back