Which bugout would you choose and why?

kingston73

Gold Member
I know it's not released yet but if you could pick the g10/m4 bugout or the aluminum/m390 one which would you get and why? From what I can tell the steels are pretty close to each other?

G10. I prefer it over alum. And I live M4. It seems easier to sharpen than m390 that I used to have on my mini grips

I prefer M4. I enjoy the way it cuts and sharpens more than M390, and I like how it holds a keen edge. SMKW M4 FTW

I find M4 a bit easier to sharpen and I can get it to a crisper edge than I can M390 but not by much. Both hold an edge longer than I’d need. Both are sufficiently tough for my uses.

That said I generally will take a satin, stainless blade over a coated carbon blade. I prefer stainless steel because it’s low maintenance, particularly if the knife might not be used for a month or two (I have quite a large rotation). Given a choice I will usually take the satin blade (even on carbon blades) because the finish won’t come off over time. Handle wise I prefer smooth knives that don’t shred my pockets (noting that the G10 on the SMKW knife isn’t that rough). Long term, I put no real value on limited editions so for me that’s not usually a factor.

The M390/alu should have been the default decision for me yet I have a SMKW Bugout and it’s probably one of my favourite knives. I have no plans to get an M390/alu Bugout.

Whilst it isn’t usually part of my decision making, the SMKW is an exclusive and will not be available as long as the M390. Grab one while you can if the all the other choices are too close for you to call. Replicating it in the custom shop will cost significantly more.

535-3 carbon fiber / S90V Bugout is my choice. Great-looking, solid, very light, and good materials used to produce it.

I thought about pre-ordering the aluminum / M390 version but living in NY, it gets cold here, so holding metal handles in winter time is not a good idea.

I'm happy with my original, it's a great light weight knife at a good price. Nothing wrong with S30V. I recently got a custom order with 20CV ,engraved and coated blade ,for my son on his birthday and I do prefer that steel but it was alot more expensive ordering a made to order knife than just getting one off the shelf

535-3 carbon fiber / S90V Bugout is my choice. Great-looking, solid, very light, and good materials used to produce it.

I thought about pre-ordering the aluminum / M390 version but living in NY, it gets cold here, so holding metal handles in winter time is not a good idea.

I bought one several months ago. It has been my edc. Great knife overall. I had the thumb stud work loose; I applied some loctite and it has been good to go.

The S90/V

I'd probably go custom shop...
It's fun getting to pick out the exact components I want!

I think it really depends on your value propositions. For me, I really like the bugout due to its size/weight ratio, so for me the aluminum would be the choice to keep that attribute. G10 is surprisingly heavy, and while I know lots of folks like heft, its not something I value in and of itself. But I can understand why someone would go the other way. Aluminum isn't generally as grippy as I would prefer, which is why I like FRN, but again, I do see why others would like something else. Also, for me, I live pretty close to salt water, so even without the destruction of freezing temps, everything gets salt damaged over time here, and so I'd lean towards any "stain resistant" steel just out of habit. I'd like to try M4, but it would be a costly trial to find out I need a much more rigorous cleaning program. Even sentry cloth needs biweekly wipedowns to even stand a chance on some surfaces.

My Mini-Bugout arrived today. (The "Star Wars" model.
I ordered carbon fiber scales from Rogue Bladeworks for it, and will have them installed by someone who knows these little knives far better than I do.
Now I just need to swap in an S90V blade, and it'll be perfect!

My Mini-Bugout arrived today. (The "Star Wars" model.
I ordered carbon fiber scales from Rogue Bladeworks for it, and will have them installed by someone who knows these little knives far better than I do.
Now I just need to swap in an S90V blade, and it'll be perfect!

Bob, could we see pictures of this "Star Wars" model before your wife finds out what you've been up to with the credit cards and your heinie winds up in divorce court?

I'll grab.a pic from my desktop 'puter for you...

Attachments

• Mini-B.jpg
    Mini-B.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I like the CF/S90V combo. But overall , I still love S30V. And Grivory has a decent feel to it IMO. I don’t find it so cheap like others have said. I know it’s not titanium but I think it’s decent for the price.

The Minis don't flex as much as their bigger brothers.
They feel "light, tight, and right!"

I keep going back to the Custom Shop and making every knife they have in a custom configuration and dream about the day I can order each in the build that I want lol I think I would go with a CF handle in M4. I really want to try it out as I have no current experience with it, and if I'm going all out with the build, why not replace G10 with some textured CF.

I've have a CF M4 Mini-Grip, and it is righteous!
Order one: you will never regret it!

I've have a CF M4 Mini-Grip, and it is righteous!
Order one: you will never regret it!
I have a sheepsfoot Griptilian in the grey G10 and 20CV, it's amazing. I'm going to get a drop point one day, and that one might be saved for a custom build. I also for sure am going to build a Mini Crooked River because I think it's one of the coolest models they have currently.

Back