Which Cold Steel models and steels may be discontinued?

Now that Cold Steel was sold, many models can be discontinued, and also some steels.

I'm looking forward to buy some Cold Steel fixed knives, both for the sake of daily use and for the sake of collection. So I'd like to know what I should buy right ASAP, because it may be discontinued, and what I could wait to buy later.

What do you think? Apart from the obvious items (like medieval swords and the like), which models of folders, fixed blades and steels may be dropped or discontinued by Sold Steel?

They typically announce what models are being discontinued every year. Often dealers will have a sale featuring them when that happens. If I were interested in snagging some in case of DC I would recommend making sure you have available funds for when that happens.

I don't live in the USA, so I cannot snag those offers. Taxes and shipping are prohibitive.

The best option I have here is that big river store that usually (but not necessarily) sells legitimate products. Actually, I bought already a few knifes there, but they will take some weeks to arrive. So I gained some time to know more about the subject.

Also, I want to buy, if possible, "Old Steel" models, as I did with the folders. Therefore, I can't wait for the "Sold Steel" announcements.

I know I'm asking here for uncertain/speculative info, but that's the best we can have on the subject (I guess).

I'd get a San Mai Trail Master while they are still available. One of the last Cold Steel blades still made in Japan!

What a lovely knife! What a monster! There's one being offered by a local vendor, but it's really expensive: almost twice the price of a 3V Magnum Tanto II, which I ordered at the big river store and will arrive in two weeks or so.

I'm still deciding if I should keep the Magnum or cancel the order, but I'm inclined to keep it.

I wonder if their 'Facon' fixed blade will survive into 2022.
It's not my cup of tea, it's styling just not being my thing, but I could see it going onto the chopping block, (pun not intended).

I'm tempted to cancel the order of the 3V Magnum Tanto II.

It's too expensive... and the knife I really want is the 3V Magnum Tanto IX.

I guess I can wait to buy one of those 3V knives... They're not endangered species, are they? šŸ˜¦

I wanted a Magnum Tanto ever since they came out when I was a freshman in high school, and I finally bought one a few weeks ago, the Magnum Tanto IX in 3V since I might not get a chance to buy one in the future.

I chose this model since it was saber ground and they seem to be getting rid of the coating and saber grinds on this series.

From what I could see on various store sites, the Master/Magnum Tanto series and the Trailmaster, Natchez, and Laredo Bowies have doubled in price or have been out of stock for some time, so I suspect they could either be cancelled or remain expensive.

They'd be idiots to get rid of popular and relatively inexpensive knives like the SRK, Recon Tanto, or Bushman, so I suspect they'd be safe for now.

I wanted a Magnum Tanto ever since they came out when I was a freshman in high school, and I finally bought one a few weeks ago, the Magnum Tanto IX in 3V since I might not get a chance to buy one in the future.

I chose this model since it was saber ground and they seem to be getting rid of the coating and saber grinds on this series.

From what I could see on various store sites, the Master/Magnum Tanto series and the Trailmaster, Natchez, and Laredo Bowies have doubled in price or have been out of stock for some time, so I suspect they could either be cancelled or remain expensive.

They'd be idiots to get rid of popular and relatively inexpensive knives like the SRK, Recon Tanto, or Bushman, so I suspect they'd be safe for now.
They'd also be idiots not to bring back the Trail Master, Natchez and Laredo Bowie in an affordable steel!

I wonder if their 'Facon' fixed blade will survive into 2022.
It's not my cup of tea, it's styling just not being my thing, but I could see it going onto the chopping block, (pun not intended).

We know very well this model of barbecue knife; it is traditional in Argentina and (South of) Brazil. Because it's traditional, you can easily buy a custom made one, but it's not my cup of tea either.

Indeed, the 3V Magnum Tanto II I've ordered was the last one available in the "big store". My wife said I'll regret if I cancel the order, and she's right. It's a fantastic knife.

I actually checked this forum after a long absence from Bladeforums to see if anyone was discussing the different versions of the Magnum Tanto to help me decide which one to get, and when I started reading the threads I found out Cold Steel was sold and models might be discontinued. At first I thought the absence of certain popular models on various sites was due to a mix of normal types of shortages (such as shopping for them when they happen to be out of stock) or low production due to COVID.

That convinced me to buy the main one I wanted ASAP rather than wait a few months.

I'd also buy any of the made in India stuff, if you like it. I can see them dropping that stuff really quick. Historical and slower sellers, plus dealing with a smaller, more handmade supplier like Windlass seems like an easy cut.

Some of the odd balls like the Bird and Trout / Game might go too.

Those blades are iconic. I just hope that SK5 or 1095-ish steel (preferably not 1055) is the minimum they go for. Hereā€™s hoping they maintain good heat treat as well.

The legendary heat treatment is perhaps the main factor that makes me buy CS. Without that, I'm out for good.

Talking about steels, which ones do you think are most endangered? SK5, San Mai, 3V?

I'd also buy any of the made in India stuff, if you like it. I can see them dropping that stuff really quick. Historical and slower sellers, plus dealing with a smaller, more handmade supplier like Windlass seems like an easy cut.

Some of the odd balls like the Bird and Trout / Game might go too.

I'd buy Made in India stuff anytime, but I hardly see any in Brazilian stores.

Because of the high taxes and current shipping costs, I cannot buy from overseas anymore. And I don't want to buy nothing from the country that subsidizes the shipping costs, so I'm almost entirely in the hands of the Rain forest store.

I actually checked this forum after a long absence from Bladeforums to see if anyone was discussing the different versions of the Magnum Tanto to help me decide which one to get, and when I started reading the threads I found out Cold Steel was sold and models might be discontinued. At first I thought the absence of certain popular models on various sites was due to a mix of normal types of shortages (such as shopping for them when they happen to be out of stock) or low production due to COVID.

That convinced me to buy the main one I wanted ASAP rather than wait a few months.

Well, I just did my homework. I read 16 pages of results with the "Magnum Tanto" search in this section of the forum. So much good information about a lot of things. Now I'm searching for "discontinued", with even more results.

I did already the most obvious choices. Only the (very expensive) Magnum Tanto II is making me to think a bit more.

The legendary heat treatment is perhaps the main factor that makes me buy CS. Without that, I'm out for good.

Talking about steels, which ones do you think are most endangered? SK5, San Mai, 3V?
Endangered as in likely to be phased out? That Iā€™m not sure of. If they decide to go the budget route, steels like S35VN and 3V might get the short end of the stick.

I'd grab an Outdoorsman while you still can. It's got some impressive grinds. I finally got one then immediately ordered another.

This is a great suggestion. The Outdoorsman is every bit the equal of Tanto, and better in some. Great knife. I think it's a bit of a slow seller based on its history with Cold Steel, so it might go once GSM crunches the numbers.

Back