Which Cold Steel models and steels may be discontinued?

This is a great suggestion. The Outdoorsman is every bit the equal of Tanto, and better in some. Great knife. I think it's a bit of a slow seller based on its history with Cold Steel, so it might go once GSM crunches the numbers.
That's kinda what I was thinking as well. It seems like a model that does not get a bunch of attention.

Even I was hesitant and did not buy one until recently hearing the Cold Steel change of guard.

But I tell you what, when my first one arrived I was very impressed. So much so, that I grabbed another one.

Hollow ground, great balance, and that feel of quality in hand...all for around a hundred bucks...it's winner.

It feels like it would be at home dressing game or used as a tactical fighter. It even has enough forward weight to chop. Long belly, a bone breaker to save your edge, polished bolsters...pretty cool.

This is a great suggestion. The Outdoorsman is every bit the equal of Tanto, and better in some. Great knife. I think it's a bit of a slow seller based on its history with Cold Steel, so it might go once GSM crunches the numbers.
The Outdoorsman blade shape is actually closer to the design of the historical Japanese tanto, haha.

Endangered as in likely to be phased out? That I’m not sure of. If they decide to go the budget route, steels like S35VN and 3V might get the short end of the stick.

I have a few S35VN folders already, and they're amazing!

But I'd like to have a 3V Magnum Tanto IX near my bed. The quest is not over yet.

I'd grab an Outdoorsman while you still can. It's got some impressive grinds. I finally got one then immediately ordered another.

The Outdoorsman in San Mai is very tempting indeed. I've been seeing a lot of videos about it lately... Beautiful knife, very refined design.

The Outdoorsman blade shape is actually closer to the design of the historical Japanese tanto, haha.

But right now it's not available at the Big Store. They have only the Outdoorsman Lite, which is also cool, but made with 4034SS. I'd love to see a "Lite" version with a better steel.

So I chose to order a SRK SK-5 for the very same price. I'm considering also a Recon Tanto, also in SK-5. These affordable (but very good) knives will serve me very well and save the money I need to buy my Holy Graal, the 3V Magnum Tanto.

Well, these are the leftovers I gathered before the party is over. Most of them will be well treated and serve me for many many years to come... Thanks you all for your time and info!

20210915-Cold-Steel.jpg

Talking about steels, which ones do you think are most endangered? SK5, San Mai, 3V?

My guess is San Mai III.

3V should be safe since it justifies selling some of the high end knives for two or three times last years price and even more than some customs. I'll probably buy a few more 3V knives, but not for a while considering what I've already purchased this year. Hopefully they'll bring the saber grinds back.

SK5 should be safe since it is used in the "budget" (but still good) knives. I doubt they'd get rid of "user" knives and only sell "collectable" knives.

I recently purchased two San Mai III knives, a Magnum Tanto XII and a Master Tanto, though the Master Tanto is for my dad.

Does anyone know if a replacement clip for the original Med Voyager is available from CS?

No, its a 3 screw, Phillips head metal clip on the old frn smooth grip handles.

Okay, that's a different beast! When you wrote, "original," I wondered how you intended to replace the molded clip (which is why in subsequent versions they went to metal clips affixed with screws, just like Spyderco).

Okay, that's a different beast! When you wrote, "original," I wondered how you intended to replace the molded clip (which is why in subsequent versions they went to metal clips affixed with screws, just like Spyderco).
Did not know about that one.

My guess is San Mai III.

3V should be safe since it justifies selling some of the high end knives for two or three times last years price and even more than some customs. I'll probably buy a few more 3V knives, but not for a while considering what I've already purchased this year. Hopefully they'll bring the saber grinds back.

SK5 should be safe since it is used in the "budget" (but still good) knives. I doubt they'd get rid of "user" knives and only sell "collectable" knives.

I recently purchased two San Mai III knives, a Magnum Tanto XII and a Master Tanto, though the Master Tanto is for my dad.

These are very good guesses.

I'm still a newbie... Anyway, here's what I have in mind.

As the fans around the world are worried about the fate of CS, the "high end" items are probably selling very well at this point. But I wonder if, after this "wave", they will maintain the offer of most of those high end items with the same better / high end steels.

I also wonder if they will continue to offer the variety of Tanto models we have today. After all, as someone noted, they removed the Tanto knife from their logo, and that could mean something.

Probably (and hopefully) all these guesses are wrong.

Congrats for the Magnums, they are wonderful.

Did not know about that one.

The original Voyager was essentially Cold Steel's answer to the original Spyderco Endura. Both of them had integral clips molded as part of the handle. It was cool idea and probably very cost effective to manufacture, but they lacked sufficient durability after flexing over and over. Back then, the Voyager also had a hollow grind and was a better cutter than today's version.

I recall in the 1990s Cold Steel catalog stating that they licensed the integral pocket clip from Spyderco.

I bought two of them in the late 1990s, the "large" fully serrated tanto which I have no idea where it ended up and an extra large half serrated tanto which I never used or carried and have it in a drawer.

I never understood why they came in medium, large, and extra large but no small. That would either make the medium "small" or they were at one time planning on making a smaller one, or they just liked strange labels.

This version was so similar to the Spyderco zytel series not just in materials (zytel and AUS8) but in construction and design that I suspect they were made in the same factory. They also changed the design around the same time Spyderco changed theirs. The main differences was that the clips were wider than the Spydercos and of course the Spydercos had Spyderholes.

Back